1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Things we learn

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Last night I got a very pleasant surprise. I grabbed my 870 TB and headed to the club for a little practice.

I took some shells I've been wanting to shoot for quite some time (mainly just to get rid of them). These were loaded to my normal 1 oz spec's, but the shot was just a mix of sizes. This ranged from 7 1/2's - 9's as these were loaded with reminants of whatever was left over, cleaned up spills, reclaimed shells, etc... .

For the first time in a long while I ran 75 straight. I know shot size/mix played little to do with this. It was just the fact that I went to the line unsure of how these shells would perform and to my surprise very well.

Now will I go out of my way to mix up shot to repete this? Probably not, but I won't hesitate to load shells with mixed shot.

ss

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good Shoot'n.....I think its all in your head and for once in quite awhile you did all the little things right. Doesn't matter why it happened though, good job anyway.---Matt

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Over time a bucket of shot collects in my shop. Shells I made wrong, got wet and the primers leaked, fell behind the loader and got stepped on, failed to fire, were used of weight checks, and so on. I cut them apart and save the shot, all possible kinds of shot.

When I load them - labeled "Mixed shot" - I am always impressed how well they work.

Neil

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

While on this subject, is there any rules regarding the mixing of ATA LEGAL sized shot for use in ATA registered competion?? Is there any proven advantage or disadvantage to this practice other than Short Shuckers results?? Just wondering....Matt

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Yes you can mix the shot for ATA events, as long as it falls within the size and weight. I tried mixing 7-1/2 with #6 and had horrible patterns.

Didn't Remington make a Duplex load at one time? I don't remember the size of shot they used.

Wayne

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I shot a 99 with my "rejects". Everything from 7/8 to 1 1/8 oz, a mix of 8 1/2's up to 7 1/2's, and all sorts of hulls, wads and primers. Some had pathetic crimps, and some had buckled hulls.

16 yard is pretty forgiving most of the time.

I got Gary's Unloader this year and many rejects now get recycled instead of shot. Somehow that seems like going backward - but I do it anyway.

Don Verna

7. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Not long ago i had accidently dumped a near full bottle of 7.5's in a bag of 6's that was half full. I was mad as hell, then I thought oh well just shake them up good and load them. I went to a turkey and games shoot and forgot all about the shot mix. It seemed like I just could not miss. I had some people almost mad. They would purposely get in line next to me thinking that I was too old to knock them out and not likely to hit my own target leaving them easy pickings. Well that has never really been the case but especially that day. Now I load 7.5's and 6's together for games quite often.

Great job on the 75 straight! All the best.

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.