1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that mess with your head !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Last week I took my K80 out for a pretty rare round of sporting clays. Many of the targets were quite a ways out - at least for me - so I put in Mod and Full chokes in the 12 ga barrels. I always shoot the bottom barrel first and the top barrel second.

I then took the same gun to the skeet range today and shot four rounds of skeet. Found myself missing targets I NEVER miss. i.e. Low two, Low three, Low five. All low houses - all with the second ( or top barrel ). As I was cleaning the barrels this afternoon I happened to notice the titanium chokes were still the Mod and Full I had used on the sporting clays range. I've now concluded several things:

A very tight choke will cause a miss on a 17-19 yard skeet target (at least for me) due to a MUCH smaller pattern.

I am not good enough to center hit the target with my sometimes questionable leads.

I may not be smart enough to shoot more than one shotgun game and then have the presence of mind to check the chokes before an event.

When something is not working that you think should be ( missing targets you don't normally miss ) - stop and try to figure out the problem. A couple of my shooting friends suggested that I was implying the misses were the fault of the gun. As it turns out - the gun ( or at least the chokes ) was a large contributor to the low house misses.

Anyone else pulled such a similar dumb stunt ? How many have experimentally adjusted the comb and then forgot to return it to the "original position" ? How many haven't marked a box of reloads only to discover they had 3/4 oz. skeet loads instead of 1 1/8 oz handicap loads and their 27 yard scores suffered ?

2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Anybody else pulled such a similar dumb stunt? I'm an engineer and do it almost daily. LOL

Chuck

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Amboy, Don't worry about it!!! You're not the first shooter who forgot to change or check his chokes. I've done it. Chaulk it up to a lesson learned, and make sure you check your chokes each and every time you shoot. Even if your shooting the same game in the afternoon of the same day. Just a good habit to get into. Better Luck next time. break em all Jeff

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Shot a 19 once or should say chipped 19. Came back into the clubhouse looked and didn't have a choke in the gun. I have since modified my case to hold the 34" barrel with the extended tube in it.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I was shooting my backup Beretta last week and couldn't seem to hit anything with any force, maybe 10 rounds. Went to the pattern board, shot a round and had a half dozen pellets hits. Checked the choke---------no choke. So, you feel like a dummy?

6. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Shot a 100 round singles event and ended up with an 84 ~ Was wondering WTH! Went to change my single barrel for my doubles barrel for the doubles event. Went to take the choke tube out of the single barrel and put it in the bottom double barrel....NO choke tube! Shot the 100 single event with NO choke tube ;) Sh*t happens ;) (I think I won money on the Lewis with that score)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.