1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THINGS THAT HAPPEN WHILE SHOOTING TOURNAMENTS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i started thinking about some wierd things that have happened on squads that i have been on over the years while shooting tournaments.

1. while shooting at the milwaukee gun club years ago we saw a guy in a wet suit on a surf board with a sail attached. the wind picked up and we no longer saw him. on the final trap, he washed up on shore almost drowned, and we had to stop shooting and call the rescue squad. during the same round a man starts flying a kite in the shot drop zone to the left of staion. a shooter on the squad with a known hot temper ask him to move and he would not. he shot his kite down, and the police were called.

2. at the waukesha state shoot one year, we are ready to toe the line and a parachutist lands in the line of fire.

3. the night before a shoot i went to a mexican resturant and ate a quart of refried beans. the next morning i was not feeling so good. i happened to be squaded with three wta hall of famers, myself and the club resident insaneo. as the insaneo is ready to shoot, noises started coming out of me. the hall of famers started laughing so hard they had to lean on their guns. the club nut, looked at me and accused me of trying to screw him up.

4. i started to gain weight and my bob allen shooting vest was to small. i had my wife replace the metal hooking device with a big button. in the first 25 of the state 16 yd, i am ready to pull the trigger and my button explodes of my vest causing me to shoot over my target.

5. i am 70 straight in the 16 yd event, i am on station 4, a husband on station 3, and his wife on station 5 start talking to one another, with me in the middle. they took one step forward of the 16 yd line and faced one another while i was shooting.

6. my best friend Luther has a remington 31 tc 4 sale in the rack at the state shoot. we are shooting our 3rd round and in the middle of it, a guy stops the squad and ask luther what is the best price he will take for the gun? i started yelling at the guy, and luther tells him the price and he gives luther the cash right on the line. luther and i miss our next target out. years later i met that non shooter out at the club. we became friends.

7.i could not sleep the night before the state shoot. we had 4 friends shooting the first event. the guy who filled the squad had to be in his upper 80's or lower ninetys. he shot a model 12, and he did not have the strength to keep on holding the gun after he shot his target. so he bent over and placed the gun on the grass after every shot. when it was his time to shoot, he would slowly bend over and mount the gun and call pull. this took about 45 seconds each time it was his time to shoot. mysteriously, all of our guns broke down during this round and we had to resquad.

8. i am 50 targets straight ready to step to the line for my 3rd round. a friend of mine stops me and ask if he could shoulder my model 12. i let him shoulder the gun. i call for my first target, i hear lost. my friend put the safety on. he swears it was not intentional.

9. my friend luther is 99 straight at the state shoot on the 2nd hundred on saturday. the target comes out and he smashed the target so hard, the smoke was the size of a garbage can lid. a friend of our yells broken target. no one saw the broken target but that guy who yelled no target, so the puller said broken target too, not to look bad. my friend calls pull again and we hear lost.
    all heck broke loose after that.

10. a friend's perazzi release trigger broke down, so he stops the squad to get a different trigger. a few shots later, that trigger breaks too. he stops the squad again to get a different gun. the first shot he took, the trigger falls out of the gun, and the adjustable comb falls to the ground too.

if you have any wierd things that have happened on your squad while shooting, please write.

state balistreri

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We were shooting the pre-lim doubles at the Dixie Grand when it was held at Savannah's Forest City Gun Club. One of the shooter's cell phone rings and he answers it in the middle of the round and proceeds to carry on a conversation about the tires on his RV ... He nearly got shot!

Same shoot ... one of the members of the handicap squad we were shooting on thought he saw a piece off his target called LOST by the referee. He insisted there was a chip off he target ... so the scorer said "Tell you what, I'm going to put a chip right here on the bottom of this ZERO on your score sheet! Nothing else was said but all of us were laughing inside.

Bob

3. vatrap

vatrap Active Member

I'm on post 5 and Clay Floyd is on post 4, field 3 right in front of the club house at Winchester, I'm 90 straight in the Class championships and Clay lets out a fart that would have stopped traffic.

I try to maintain some composure, but it is not working. put the gun down down, remount, ready to call for the target and Lello can't hold it any longer and burst out laughing, now everybody on the squad is cracking up.

Finally get myself together and finish out the hundred with a 100 and won the Class championship that year.

Mike

4. senior smoke

keep it up, i love these stories.
    steve

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Bustin a gut,,,,keep em comin!!!!!!!

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I bet Leo has some!!!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I was the squad leader many years ago at the old Pinehurst Club in NC. The management has been having difficulty getting pullers/scorers and had made an arrangement with a local retirement community for trap help. Two polite elderly men were in the scorers chair as we took the line. One of them pulled, the other scored, and I had suspicions.

I asked to see a target and the gentleman promptly threw one. I mounted my gun and called pull. The puller then said "OK here she comes and then threw the target". The pulls were irregular throughout the day.

Pat Ireland

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Shootimg at Willowood NY,,,,First day of spring turkey season,,,,First squad,,,first round,,,,five guys with shotguns and at least three with turkey stamps in there pockets,,,,and a big fat tom walkes out from behind the sound barrier at what was the old trap one ,,,now trap four,,,the puller says dont even think about it,,,,so we waited for him to finish his stroll,,,,went on to shoot my first 50 stright that morning,,,,thinking about that turkey each shot

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am working with the trap rats setting targets for a shoot. We are nearly done on field one when we hear a shot behind us. Turn around, and there is a goose flailing around on the ground and a guy walking up to claim his "prize". Asked him, "What the hell are you doing?" and he tells me he has permission from shoot management to shoot the bird. I think he used a handicap load with 7 1/2's.

Older gentlemen is having problems with an 1100 Trap gun with release trigger. After a few hang-ups he has an AD and shoots the speaker cord - it jumps about two feet in the air. He does not realize what he has done and proceeds to load another round and call for a bird. When the bird does not release he looks confused. We crack up while a new speaker is fetched.

Don

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A retired doctor has a Black Lab that sang the the National Anthem at each shoot. I mean all the way from start to finish, amazing dog.

11. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

1. Once shot the state handicap event with a shooter from Wisconsin who had a reputation (he will tell you underserved)for being a sandbagger. We got to the last trap and he was only down a couple of birds. As we went to the line he told me that if he missed another target he would drop some more to avoid taking yardage. Well, he did miss another and then proceded to drop 4 out of the last five. As we walked off the line the puller (a young lady) came over with tears streaming down her cheeks and and said "mister, you were doing so great and I ruined it for you. I am so sorry it's all my fault you missed. I must have given you bad pulls or something, can you please, please ever forgive me".

2. Same shooter as above had worked all spring to get his average down to Class C and figured to really clean up at State Shoot. He went through the classification line and was put in Class C. However, another fellow on the committee recognized the shooter and came over and changed him to class A! Well, the shooter went totally nuts and was screaming at the ATA Delegate, the State Association President and even called the ATA.... to no avail. I'm not sure they are still speaking to this day.

3. One year at the State Shoot (before the failure to fire rule) I turned down a hard left angle from station 1 and said "slow pull". The young lady who was pulling replied, "NO! It was not slow, it was on time and both you and I know it was. I'll give you another bird but don't tell me it was slow and if you do it again I'll call lost". Well, I felt about 2 inches tall after being dressed down by a 16 year old gal and the guys on my squad were laughing so hard they could barely finish the round.

4. Another year at the State Shoot it was very, very hot. In the second round of the 200 I brought the gun up, my mind went totally blank and I could not remember what to say. Figured I had to say something so called "ready" which was fine except the rest of the squad tried to change stations. Was a bit embarrasing.

12. senior smoke

kgunner- is the shooter you are talking about probably the handsomest gun at the club? i also heard he is a really nice guy. also, i heard the day this happened fran was looking over his shoulder. when you are young, you say and do things that when you mature you wouldn't now say or do. i miss those days. fran and I are friends.
    steve

13. JEB

JEB Active Member

While shooting at the New York Athletic Club maybe 30 years ago, a flock of Canada geese flew overhead. One of my squad mates stopped and calmly shot one out of the air. We looked at him as if he had gone crazy. He shrugged his shoulders and said "they are in season and I have a license and a duck stamp." He then walked off the line, picked up the dead goose, put it on the bench and resumed shooting. I can't remember if he asked anyone if they had an extra round.

JEB

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Cease fire is called due to boats in the impact area. It happens again and again, we think it s intentional and request tower to give range and coordinates instead of cease fire.

15. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Senior Smoke. I recall the day we were shooting on the same squad and happened to notice you had developed a habit where your forward hard wrapped around the reciever of an 1100. When you shot, you would automatically open your hand so the bolt handle would clear the fingers. Mentioned it to another guy and pretty soon the whole squad was watching you in awe. After we got done you wanted to know what was so funny so we told you which, of course, denied. You immediately went out to prove us wrong but forgot to open your hand and the fingers got nipped.

Another instance a number of years ago involved a shooter friend (no names please) who was shooting the State 200 16 yard. During the shoot the wife of another shooter showed up after just finding out her husband had gotten another woman pregnant. She was standing on the 27 yard line screaming at her husband that she was going to kill him then and there. Apparently, this caused a bit of anxiety among the other shooters who were not sure they would even finish the event in one piece. Concentration and the scores dropped dramatically.

16. senior smoke

i think only shooters can appreciate these stories.
    steve

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

At the '90 Montana State Shoot in great Falls, My squad was shooting singles onw morning when a big ol' black cloud wandered in from Square Butte and shot a lightning bolt down about 100 yards past the last trap. Britt Robinson was shooting post 5 and called a hault to things pronto!!....

18. ChetH

ChetH Member

A round 30 years ago at the Kentucky State Shoot, I was on the line (I don't remember the event) and a B52 flew over with its bomb bay doors open. It was fairly low, maybe 600 feet. As I recall, someone said that planes from the SAC base in Sedalia MO used the trapline for practice bombing runs.

You haven't lived until you have looked up into the belly of B52.

chet

19. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I was at a state shoot one year and I was on station one and an older man was on station 2. He tried to get a 6 th target but was told to move. He had a release trigger and was all thumbs trying to open the gun. I asked if he knew what he was doing and he said yes. The barrel kept moving toward my station and before I could say anything BANG. He shot my station. I was shooting at the time 20 yards and he shot the 19. The score was about to have a cow (just a kid) on the spot and I just looked at her and with a hand jesture(sp) I got it, its alright. She was rattled but calmed down seeing that I was not hurt or jumping up and down. I checked the speaker cord and he did not hit any of them and the shooter who moved from station 5 did the same. I was glad that it was the last field we had and then reported him to the office. What they did I don't know.

20. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

So many great stories. Went to the State Shoot probably 20 years ago and a really good looking gal was shooting the 16 yard event. This was fine except she was wearing a leopard skin halter top that was rather loose and she had a LOT to put in it. More often than not when she mounted the gun and called for a target one of her boobs would fall out. The poor young fellow who was pulling was so in awe of this "display" that he could hardly keep his mind on what was going on and most of the other shooters on the squad got slow or fast pulls. By the time she finished the round at least half the male shooters on the grounds had assembled behind the trap and were watching the show. Unfortunately, she put on a shooting vest and ruined our fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.