1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Things found when cleaning out basement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Back in the library again. Had to write and tell you that I cleaned out my basement this weekend. Recently, I also cleaned out my reloading room and found some neat trapshooting related items from years long gone.

While cleaning out the basement Saturday I found a bunch of old 45 rpm records from when I was a kid. I remember going to W.T. Grants as a kid, and they would allow you to play a song on their record player to see if you liked it. If you did, you could purchase it for about,69cents?

I found three 45's that were big hits when I was a kid. One was Ernie ford, 16 Tons, another was Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean, and the other one was Sink the Bismark by Johnny Horton.

I was telling a couple young fellow students about the records I found and they never heard of the songs, or the singing artist. I suggested that they go on you tube and listen to the songs and they rolled their eyes. Guess I need to talk mostly to people in my own age bracket.

Regardless, it brought back good memories.
    Any songs that you remember that you purchased from when you were a kid?
    Steve Balistreri

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've got an LP that was my older brothers from 1965. It's a Kinks album with their #1 hits, All Day and All of the Night, Tired of Waiting for You, and You Really Got Me. It still has a G.C.Murphy price tag. $2.77. Three hits on one album, got your monies worth back then.

Wayne

3. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I remember them. They were big hits back then. One radio station here still plays them on Saturday night on a program "Remember When"

4. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

We had a Halloween album that would scare the crap out of me_Aliens eating people_Up Up and Away_Fifth Dimension_Beatles_Hard Days Night album_The Box Tops_The Letter

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I remember singing along with Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans" when I was about 9-10.

I watched my sisters practice their dance moves to the latest hits of the fifties in our kitchen when no one else was home.

Guess that's why I like the songs of those days, and their do wop melodies.

Good memories!

Danny

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

How about Wooly booly and Sugar Shack. I was 14 years old and running a skating rink. We had a stacking turn table and I got to select the music. There were many more that I don't recollect right now but those were fun times. I was 19 yrs old and stationed at Chicksands England when The Letter came out. They came to the Airmans club several times along with the four tops and such. Jackie B.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Smoke:

The Animals version of 'House of the Rising Sun' is one of mine from a similar vintage. However, I prefer 'easy listening' and 'classical' music like 'I'm Going Down'. It's mostly associated with Jeff Beck but Freddie 'The Texas Cannon Ball' and Stevie Ray Vaughn did snappy versions as well.

I think I'll warm up a rare steak and play them all : )

sissy

8. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

There's a public radio station located in Hatboro, PA that plays all the oldies on the weekends. Lots of Do-Wop! Their call sign is WRDV and can be heard on the net if your interested.

Bob M.

9. ctreay

ctreay Member

I was stationed at NAS BURMUDA when Bill Haley and the Comets came out with thier movie Rock Around The Clock. That was big!

ctreay

10. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Davey Davey Crockett, king of the wild frontier.

Used to know it word for word both sides of the LP.
    Hell now not even sure if I spelled it right

Robert

11. senior smoke

Robert:
    I had a coon skin cap like his.
    Steve

12. senior smoke

Other 45's I found were Everly brothers, Wake up little Susie & bye bye love. Ricky nelson, travelin man.
    Steve

13. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I'm getting farther off topic here but we listened (as kids) to Jerry Clower on LP's. Possibly the funniest records ever. Need to find those.

K

14. avery53

avery53 Member

I grew up with all these songs, does that mean we're old farts? lol

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Oh I do remember that GC Murpheys store on Calhoun st. I loved the donuts when you walked in.

16. senior smoke

The kids at school today looked at me like I was 100 years old when I told them when I was a kid the local Grants store allowed you to play the record first before you decided to buy it.

My boy just walked in and I played Ernie Ford's song, 16 Tons, and Bye Bye love by the everly brothers. He like them both. In amazement he said, I caN UNDERSTAND EACH WORD THAT THEY ARE SINGING.
    Steve

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Kinda makes me homesick. Still have a stack of them, Elvis-Pat Boone-Johnny Mathis-Jerry Lee Lewis- etc. etc. Ross Puls

18. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Nothin like the chicken-walkin Chuck Berry.

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Yeah Lou I can still remember the donut girl. Her name was Debbie, her boyfriend enlisted in the Marines and got sent to Paris Island. Here is a classic.

http://youtu.be/CS3ErDN50Qk

Wayne

20. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/

Go to the National Jukebox site at the Library of Congress and all the old favorites are there.

Where else could you find my favorite "When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain", performed by Kate Smith?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.