1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Things a trap boy said disturbed me a bit

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 21, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A few weeks ago I was out at the local gun club. I was sitting next to a group of male trap boys. One of the trap boy's mentioned that his grandfather was drafted into the Army.

I heard "no way" would I ever go if I was drafted by one of the boys. Another boy said it would depend on the situation if he decided to go.

I laughed as these youngsters felt that if your country comes a calling, that you can say "no way".

I was sitting with two other men, and one boy asked if any of us was drafted? I said I was, another said he was too, and the third guy said he enlisted.

The looks on these kids faces was of shock. The kid asked why did you go? My friend said when your country calls you go.

It was very apparent these young men could not comprehend what he just said. They are young and we did not seriously believe what they were saying, as they hopefully have a long life a head of them.

Any one out there that was drafted or enlisted? Where did you go for basic training and AIT. I went to Fort Lewis Washington, and Ait to Fort Sill Oklahoma.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

How old were they? Could it be it was just childs talk?

When of age if push came to shove a very high majority would serve.

3. senior smoke

Young kids, probably 16. Did not really take them seriously.
    Steve

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

They usually mimic their parents . I signed up for the Navy Aug 1959 and to serve for 3 years . They had what they called a Kiddy Cruise, join before your 18 and get out the day before you turn 21 but because my ship the USS Boston CAG 1, was going back to the Med and they would have had to discharge me over there and send me stateside from there, decided to give me an out 3 months early in July 1962 Friday the 13th. So that is now my lucky day.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I think if Pearl Harbor ever happened again the country would just roll over and play dead

I enlisted in the USAF when I turned 17 and did basic in where else, Lackland

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try to figure this out. We have not had a draft for 40 years. Four Zero

The country has been defended by surrogates for more than a generation.

That is why they stated that

We need universal service and to mix the classes of people. You dont vote if you dont serve. Now maybe a common basic training and then the people that are judged COs go to work building stuff like roads while the others go into the military.

We need this.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Note the comments in my thread titled something I had read- about the seed is weak-- some that posted on that thread have already proved that point as have these trap kids- althogh at least they are working

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. senior smoke

Years ago, I was talking to another shooter and he told me he got out of the service. I asked him if he had a medical problem? He said no, but for a few days he and his friends did not eat, they also hooked up their testicals to a car battery, basically turning their yearn to green in color.

The guy was proud of his actions. I asked him, are you a coward? He said hell no, I'm smart, at least I did not run to Canada. I asked if the yearn thing did not get you out of the army, would you have gone to Canada? He said sure.

As most of you know by the threads I put out here, that I am a very easy going guy. In this case, I told him not to every speak to me or look at me again. Later he asked a good friend of mine if I was kidding? My friend said no he was very serious, and he said the same thing goes for me too.

Thieves and cowards I have no use for. My wife just read what I wrote and said be nice. I said I am, just telling the truth of the way I feel.
    Steve

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I would certainly hate to serve in the military now. Too much media in the war zone, no clearly defined objectives, too much political concern of what the public thinks, too many B.S. rules of engagement.

If you send in the military, turn them loose and let them do the job they were trained to do. Short of that, who wants to go and be a target that may not always be able to return fire? Do you think this country and the politicians gave darn if a Nazi was hold up in church sniping Allies, or would they have shelled the church. Apparently, mosques are off limit now days. If I can't return fire under any circumstance, I sure wouldn't want to go. However, I don't know if those kids are thinking about it from my perspective.

As a country we always honor those who fall in battle, why not honor their service and sacrifice while they are alive by setting objectives and providing them with enough equipment, intelligence and air and artillery support, and also provide rules of engagement that do not require to ask a higher up if they can have permission to fire or return fire, to give them best chance of succeeding with a mission and coming back alive. That is how this country and the government should honor those willing to make that sacrifice. Not until they are dead as a result of poor planning and bunch of politicians who use them like pawns.

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Not wanting to go and going because it is our duty are two different subjects, To avoid the draft in 1970 I enlisted, that is kinda an oxymoron isn't it? Anyway I though, I was convinced by a friend that we should enlist and be stock clerks to keep us out of the infantry. It worked, After basic at Ft. Jackson and AIT at Ft Lee Va., I remained in the states and my buddy was sent straight to Sunny S.E. Asia for fun and games as he called it. He wound up with Purple Heart and CIB. I was sent to Europe and subsequently put on orders for Vietnam. Three different time I was deleted from deployment, who knows why but I did spend the next 20 visiting other places around the globe in support of military missions. My most memorable departure was the day I left my family on what I thought was my trip to Vietnam. When the door on that plane closed and she took off I knew I wouldn't be coming back, not a nice feeling. Glad I was wrong. Point is, I did not want to go,BUT, I got on that plane anyway because I felt it was the correct thing to do. During my 20 years of service there were many deployment I would rather not taken, along with many of my peers. My only regrets are the decisions the voters of this once great nation have made with the current crop of despicable people. Shame on them. Jake.. (I agree with Gene, we need mandatory service for youngsters.)

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

40 years no draft!???? You mean I joined to beat being drafted for nothing??? DANG I B dum ...just kidding..best time of my life

12. senior smoke

I agree with you guys. If the politicians want to fight with all their rules of engagement, send them and their families to fight. We need to swash these sob's like the bugs and vermin that they are. America needs to show the world that you mess with us, you will pay the price dearly.
    Steve

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The kids of this generation are nothing like when we were kids and its a shame ... We ( my Buddies and I ) enlisted because we were going any way, it was the Buddy plan so we had 90 days to explain to our mother what we did and why ... I was 7 days short of completing basic when I got called in and told I was going home due to family hardship, there was no way I was leaving in my mind ... The Sgt/Major came and talked to me and explained that I did not have a choice so pack up get ready to be out of here ... You want to talk about pissed, I was steaming as they put me on that bus and upset to the point I actually had tears in my eyes ... When I got home I went down to the Marine Recruiters office and told him that I was inducted and conditionally discharged 7 days before completeing basic ... He made a few phone calls and told me to go home and take care of my family ... I do not know that I have ever been so pissed off in my entire life and to this day have no idea what happened or why ... I was the Squad leader all the way until they sent me home so its not that I was having a problem adjusting, hell I loved it ... If I would of survived Nam I would of probably made a career out of it ... 3 of my close friends died over there I still feel like I should of been with them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Universal military service?

Ever see how an army of modern draftees comes out when fighting a smaller group of dedicated volunteers?

Look no further than Argentina vs Britain.

Look no further than the Iraqis vs America.

We do not need to dumb down the services. We need to entice dedicated volunteers with self-motivation and decent IQs to enlist.

And the services themselves need to be able to select and properly use volunteers. My son is already an educated, skilled, trained welder. He went to college for this. The job market sucked locally, so he offered his services to the military for a construction MOS, and in particular the SeaBees. Full up. Not interested. We only want cannon fodder. So the services will have to train someone from scratch. He's now off in civilian life making union ironworker scale instead of serving because of the disincentive recruitment policies. These recruitment policies need to change if the military wants to attract anything more than cannon fodder.

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Not making excuses, but do you pay any attention to what is being taught to these kids? They are being taught that nothing is really true of false, that everything is relative. They are being taught the the USA has been a world class bully, keeping all the "wonderful others" from being happy. They are taught that every value that can be traced to the Bible is wrong, and any screwball knucklehead that has an idea is really right. They grew up thinking you can keep your virginity by giving oral sex. They have seen the government in bed with the bankers steal the life savings and pensions from their older relatives. They have seen those who chose to serve as soldiers serve 2 and 3 fifteen month tours IN THE HOT ZONE!. Those who survive come back to no jobs, no home, no respect and commies on capital hill talking away their GI benefits and thier 2nd ammendment rights. I am as flag waving and patriotic as they come, and I would think twice about going to war in the middle east with the current commander in chief.

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I enlisted in the Army in 1956, about 2 weeks after I graduated from high school. I was 17 years old.

I served 3 years and got out in June of 59 at the ripe old age of 20.

I was sent to Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas for basic training and then to Ft. Hood Texas for my tank training.

I've always said I wouldn't take a million dollars for the experience, but on the other hand, I wouldn't do it again for a million dollars either.

My service number begins with an RA. Regular Army!

And damned proud of it!

Hauxfan!

17. senior smoke

I miss the country that I grew up in. When I was a child any thing made in Japan was considered junk. We were proud of American made products and the jobs Americans did.

In my opinion, this present time in our history will someday go down as a very sad time for all of mankind. I am proud that I served, and we need to get rid of all these video games and get the kids back on the playgrounds playing sports again.

When you take a test in school, you either pass or fail with no curves and dummying down so not to hurt someone's feelings. Do you think my teachers felt bad for me if I failed a test? They call my parents and they would slap the crap out of me for not studying. It's time to take the kid gloves off and make these kids real men and women again.
    Steve

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Steve,

If they removed everything from the shelves that are imported there wouldn't be anything left to buy unless you wanted to play rediculous prices for inferior crap ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Iceman47

Iceman47 Member

I respectfully beg to differ with you.
    Pearl Harbor did happen again on 9/11/2001. This country did not roll over and play dead and wound up fighting two wars without the need for a draft.

Like you I served during the Viet Nam War. Like you I also did not wait to be drafted but enlisted. At the time I believed in what I was being told by my government. Since that time I have drastically changed my views on what we did in Viet Nam and the lies we were told. Having said that, I still feel pride in knowing that I served my country honorably.

The young men and women who served and still are serving in Afghanistan, in my estimation, have the same thoughts that I and thousands of guys like me have about Nam, but I would bet the farm that they also would say that they are proud to answer the call when their country needed them.

Vincent

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Unfortunately the Greatest Generation, who sacrificed much in WWII and Korea, also saddled this country with social programs that were a ponzi scheme. My dad, a Korean War vet, said he was sorry for the debt his generation foisted up me, my son and daughter, and my future grandchildren. He said he thought they were doing the right thing, but he can see now that it has led to the destruction of a great nation.