1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thin Wall Chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200

3200 TS Member

Had a look at a Perazzi MX-8 this evening. 30" bbls, non-selective trigger. Barrels have been ported and thin wall chokes installed. The 'problem' is that there are only the chokes currently in the barrels - no others. I removed the chokes to see if there were any identifying marks. Other than the choking, there was nothing to indicate who's choke they were. Any recommendations on how to go about IDing these chokes. The current owner is says he has looked high and low to fine any paperwork that may have accompanied the choke work (gun belonged to his father who is now deceased), but came up with nothing.

I believe that Briley Thin Walls have Briley's name on them as well as the bore diameter and a 'serial number' of sorts. Nothing of the sort on these chokes.

2. 3200

3200 TS Member

BTW, the chokes in question, or should I say included with this gun, are of the 'square, flat thread variety.' Not sure that this is an any way evidence of the manufacturer,

3. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Steve Baldwin in Jones, OK does a really good job of building chokes to a barrel that is already choked.

Take care,

Jim

sbcoachjim@aol.com

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

They sound like Brileys to me. I have some older Briley thinwalls with no markings. I don't know of anyone else who made thinwall chokes a few years back.

6. 3200

3200 TS Member

I'll be in Houston on Friday. Plan on stopping and talking to the folks at Briley. Hoping maybe that they can cross-reference using the ser # off the gun. Also want to see in person one of the Blaser F-3s.

7. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

My seminoles are not marked in any way.

They are black with a knurled grip ont he extended portion and a color ring for identification.

8. yuccaknob

yuccaknob TS Member

I have the same problem with an 1100. The barrel was backbored to .730 the rechoked with a thinwall. The only markings are "Not for Steel Shot" and L.F.
    I measured it every way possible, then called Briley. They said that it was probably an old Type A which is no longer in production, and any replacements would have to be custom made. I didn't ask the price, figured I would just find another barrel.
    Don

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Trulock has made thinwall chokes. Check with them. Phil E

10. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

My old MX3 had briley S type thin wall when I had my superposed done years later the barrels were to close togeather so they had to put in S type thin walls and they were interchangeable with both gun so they make them still Jon

11. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Briley will ID chokes - at least as to what fits - if you take one to them. They will not offer to check their records for a particular gun. Found this out when I wanted to find out what was in my (gasp!) skeet/clays gun. Had to send them four chokes; they ID'd them as soon as they saw them.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.