Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thin wall choke tubes?

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  EuroJoe 
#1 ·
What is the purpose of them? I searched the net and couldn't find much. Just curious.....................

#3 ·
The purpose is to enable a choke tube installer ( Briley) to install choke tubes in shotguns with a very thin diameter at the muzzle. My favorite the SX-1-1 comes readily to mind. The barrel is so thin that after they install thin walls I do not dare let that barrel fall/get knocked around as the choke area without the tube installed for stability could easily be damaged. bent/dinged ETC. To the point that just a fall into another gun might damage it to the point you wouldn't be able to install the choke tube without getting the dent fixed ( i.E opened back up). I have seen many botch jobs over the years by gunsmiths who just assumed that since it was a shotgun you could install choke tubes in it. I know one guy who has a 22 inch trap barrel with a cylinder choke do to a dumb ass smith that kept cutting the barrel off and retrying the same installation! I hate to say it but as much bad press as I have seen about Briley, I would trust no other to a Sx-1 barrel. Jeff

#5 ·
Used Briley to install a set in my '65 Superposed BroadWay. Its been years, and I've enjoyed a tremendous amount of use from this former trap-only gun.

Originally built with IM/F fixed chokes, I had Briley make me a set of five (5) chokes in cyl, skeet (2), IC and M and its made the gun a nice doubles gun for trap, skeet and sporting and on occasion, have used it for doves.

Briley provides a nice choke box and wrench... would have them do another and have recommended them to many with similar results.

Regards all,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.