1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thin wall choke tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RobPete, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobPete

RobPete Member

What is the purpose of them? I searched the net and couldn't find much. Just curious.....................

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

They are used to convert fixed-choke barrels into changeable choke tubes. Seminole and Briley are two that perform this service.

AndyH ;-)

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The purpose is to enable a choke tube installer ( Briley) to install choke tubes in shotguns with a very thin diameter at the muzzle. My favorite the SX-1-1 comes readily to mind. The barrel is so thin that after they install thin walls I do not dare let that barrel fall/get knocked around as the choke area without the tube installed for stability could easily be damaged. bent/dinged ETC. To the point that just a fall into another gun might damage it to the point you wouldn't be able to install the choke tube without getting the dent fixed ( i.E opened back up). I have seen many botch jobs over the years by gunsmiths who just assumed that since it was a shotgun you could install choke tubes in it. I know one guy who has a 22 inch trap barrel with a cylinder choke do to a dumb ass smith that kept cutting the barrel off and retrying the same installation! I hate to say it but as much bad press as I have seen about Briley, I would trust no other to a Sx-1 barrel. Jeff

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Angle Port and Seminal also do thin walls with a square thread pattern

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Used Briley to install a set in my '65 Superposed BroadWay. Its been years, and I've enjoyed a tremendous amount of use from this former trap-only gun.

Originally built with IM/F fixed chokes, I had Briley make me a set of five (5) chokes in cyl, skeet (2), IC and M and its made the gun a nice doubles gun for trap, skeet and sporting and on occasion, have used it for doves.

Briley provides a nice choke box and wrench... would have them do another and have recommended them to many with similar results.

Regards all,

Jay

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

especially useful for back-bored guns when bbls. get thin.I once had a set of Krieghoff bbls. bored to .753, and Briley put in thinwalls that worked fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley thin wall choke tubes how installed
briley thin wall chokes devalue gun
thin wall choke tube installation
thin wall choke tubes
thin wall extended choke tubes

thin walled extended choke for shotguns

thread in shotgun chokes thin wall