1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thin Wall Choke...Still Looking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I have a beginner shooter (young lady) on my team who was just gifted a very nice Winchester 101. The gun was given to her by a widow whose late husband used it for skeet. The problem is the gun was fitted for chokes but none came with the gun and no one knows where they are.

How can I go about finding what kind of chokes I need for this gun? The barrel were originally Skeet and Skeet so I'm guessing that there some kind of thin wall system. None of the standard RemChokes of Browning that I have even begin to fit.

This young lady is just starting and is working with an extremely limited budget so any help finding the correct chokes as expensive as possible would be greatly appreciated.

2. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Maybe check around at your local club with folks that have had thin walls installed and maybe you can try one. On an older gun like a 101 it may have been retrofitted w/chokes by someone like Briley or another large outfit like Angleport, etc. Maybe call Briley and see if they track choke work by gun model & S/N. Worth a shot.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

post a picture of the muzzle here - that might help

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Anchorsteam, that a good idea. I'll call Briley on Monday

Roger C, like I said in my original post the gun was a fixed skeet and skeet, standard chokes will not fit.

5. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

I have Briley Series 1 chokes in a Beretta and can give you some measurements from my barrel, such as the inside diameter of the choke recess without a choke installed and how long the choke tubes are. I have a barrel with Seminole SG2 chokes and one with Truchokes if I can help out with some measurements let me know.

If you could measure the length that the choke needs to be in the barrel, that would be the first step in determining which chokes it has.

anthony12ga_2008_030332.jpg

6. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

What's the panic? Shoot it without the chokes,... why not?

You'd be surprised at the pattern. Probably can't tell the difference between that and a skeet or even an I/C. Lots of people use unchoked threaded barrels for certain sporting clays and skeet targets.

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

If you send the barrel to any good choke company they can make you any choke you desire. Wrights, Briley,are well know choke makers and installers along with many other companys You will only have to pay for the new chokes they make it is the best way to go as they will mike the bore and build chokes made to fit each barrel.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Put one of the choke tubes on a copy machine or take a pic and fax/email it to Briley with the bore diameter and choke thread diameter. They will take it from there. You can send a choke tube to Briley too.

9. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks everyone,

Anthony12ga, I don't have any way to measure the barrel. You wouldn't happen to be in PA or Maryland would you?

Sportshot, The young lady is shooting trap. IC would not be best.

Old One Eye, have you ever had this done. Sounds expensive.

Setterman, I wish I had one to copy, that's the whole point I'm without anything to go by.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Send the barrels in to Briley, but least call them first to get the details.

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Check around for any gunsmiths in the PA/MD area, that you can show the barrels to and ask if they can measure the bore before the choke and after/before the threads (trying to get the estimate outside diameter of the choke). Also they may be able to guess who installed the chokes. Taking along the young thing with sad eyes explaining the predicament may get all the measuring for free.

Once you get the measurements and any leads, give leads a call. If no leads give Briley a call and find out how much it will cost to measure the barrel. From their website (link above) if you have a sample its $65 for flush and $85 for extended, but if it is a thin wall choke, I don't think you can get the extended. There is an e-mail address at the bottom, you could correspond that way.

Jason

12. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

If they turn out to be the standard Win-Chokes let me know I have a bunch of extra Win-Chokes here.

Jim R

13. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

roger8918,

Unfortunately I'm in South Texas, so not much help there.

Take a flashlight and look into the end of the barrel(gun unloaded of course, barrels off the receiver preferably). Can you tell if the choke threads are near the end of the muzzle or down whee the choke recess starts. Briley thin wall chokes have threads near the muzzle, where as Truchokes threads are on the other end of the choke. Also if you can stick a pencil or something down in the barrel to get an idea of how long the chokes need to be to be flush with the end of the barrel. Those two things would help determine which type of chokes you need.

anthony12ga_2008_030333.jpg

anthony12ga_2008_030334.jpg

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

BROWNST100, Yes....The young lady is in Harrisburg and I'm just south of York in Glen Rock. It would be great if we could meet up and give what you have a try.

15. 3357

3357 Member

Not to confuse the issue, but if they turn out to be Colonial Arms tubes I have a set of three (mod. imp. mod. full) that she can have. Colonial Arms choke tubes had/have a following in the skeet and sporting clays disciplines.

If you know the late owners name you could call the major choke tube vendors and check to see if he was a customer.? Jess Reed

16. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Roger,

I have a variety of choke tubes, if you want to bring the gun to the club on Tuesday, we can see if any of them fit.

Dave

17. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks Dave, we may need to do that. are any of the ones you have thin wall?

Here are a few photos. Does this help? The threads seem flat and very shallow.

roger8918_2008_03034.jpg

[​IMG]

18. skeezix

skeezix Member

I would call briley with the make and s/n of the gun and the previous owners name. If it has been threaded by them in the last several years they should still have the information available. If they don't, I suspect you'll have to send them the bbls.

http://www.briley.com/

Briley Manufacturing, Inc.
    1230 Lumpkin Road
    Houston, Texas 77043
    U.S.A.

Office or Technical: (713)-932-6995

John

19. Battue

Battue Member

They sure look like Briley threads.

Briley has different series of thin-wall chokes. These different series were intended to address the different bore diameters of different shotguns. I would talk to Briley, but I would guess that a Winchester 101 would normally take a Series I choke.

You could see if someone at the local gun club has a Series I choke to see if it fits. You could also order one from Briley and exchange it if it is not correct. Sending the barrel to Briley is also an option, but probably an expensive one, with shipping and packaging costs.

Good Luck,

Pat

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A gunsmith should be able to take a cerrosafe casting of the choke area, unthread it when its set up, and you can measure the threads and OD to see what kind of chokes they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
advantages of thin wall choke

briley thin wall chokes devalue gun

choketube threads near muzzle vs threads near breach

difference between a thin wall and a standard choke

extended thin wall truchokes

thin wall choke tubes

tru choke thin wall

tru-choke vs briley