1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thieves Steal Kim Rhode's Shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Thieves Steal Olympic Gold Medalist's Shotgun

LAKE ELSINORE, Calif. A pair of thieves broke into a pickup truck parked in a Lake Elsinore parking lot Thursday and stole a shotgun belonging to Olympic gold medalist Kim Rhode, according to broadcast reports.

Rhode was shopping for shoes for her wedding at the Lake Elsinore outlet
    shopping center around 1 p.m. when the burglary occurred, KCAL9 reported.

When she returned to the parking lot, she discovered that a window of her pickup truck had been shattered, and her shotgun had been taken from the backseat, KCAL9 reported.

"I've won four medals with it and there's just no words to describe what the gun means to me," Rhode tearfully told KCAL9.

It was the only gun Rhode used over the past 18 years, winning two Olympic gold medals, a bronze, and most recently a silver medal for skeet shooting at the Beijing Games, KCAL9 reported.

"The gun is irreplaceable," Rhode told KCAL9. "It's a total loss. I'm just hoping somebody saw something."

The outlet's security video showed a dark red Ford Expedition with a roof rack slowly rolling past Rhode's pickup, then a few moments pass, where
    detectives believe the gun is being stolen.

Moments later the video showed two men reappearing and walking toward
    the shopping center.

Rhode has offered a $5,000 reward for return of her shotgun, which has stickers up and down the barrel marking each of her wins, according to KCAL9.

She is scheduled to leave for a selection match on Friday for next year's international competitions, KCAL9 reported.

Anyone with information on the stolen gun call the Riverside Sheriff Department's Lake Elsinore Station at (951) 245-3300.

(© 2008 CBS Broadcasting Inc.)

2. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Thats some lousy news!

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

And the theives will probably saw off the barrels and get $50 for it.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Not only a loss for Kim, but for all Americans. When these guys are caught they need their hands cut off. Wayne

5. flbuck

flbuck TS Member

Skeet2day you have no class.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Its an OUTRAGE.

She must be crushed. What a bummer.

I hope these bums recognize this is no ordinary shotgun, but bums they are, and expecting them to do the right thing is wishful thinking.

7. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

I too had someone come in my back yard night before last and steal my brand new lawn mower weed eater and edger . I know that is nothing like this but these Ah's I hope they catch them and put them under a jail. bigunn

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Around here there a lots of thefts, from cars, garages, and homes.

But power tools and hand tools usually don't get taken. I guess it's because they are used for working. I had a 50 dollar CB taken out of my van some years ago, and they left the 200 dollar Milwaukee drill sit there untouched.

HM

9. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

A piece of American history stolen to be sure.

But.....why would she have her gun in the back set of a truck while she's shopping for shoes? Must be a woman thing.

Are there any ordinances that can be applied to historic artifacts? Can the governor of (insert state here) declare the shotgun as such and let it be known that if caught this won't be any lightweight petty crime - just drop it off somewhere and call the cops.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I hope she gets it back. This is really sad news. I kind of know how she feels...my shotgun disappeared at the Grand. It was quickly retrieved, though. I never knew how much a shotgun could mean to me until that moment.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Those dirty rats...

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

This is why I never rent a truck when I go to shoots. There is no way to secure a shotgun. I always rent a car and have an aircraft cable that allows me to secure the gun case in the trunk. This means that a thief has to steal the car.

Tom

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The news story...

<div><object width="512" height="322"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.30" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="AllowScriptAccess" VALUE="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=9700046&vid=3487824&lang=en-us&intl=us&thumbUrl=http%3A//us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/i/bcst/cbslocal/4990/71487517.jpg&embed=1" /><embed src="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.30" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="322" allowFullScreen="true" AllowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" flashVars="id=9700046&vid=3487824&lang=en-us&intl=us&thumbUrl=http%3A//us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/i/bcst/cbslocal/4990/71487517.jpg&embed=1" ></embed></object></div>

14. SBray

SBray Active Member

Perhaps someone could post details of the gun so that maybe, just maybe, someone might come across it and turn it in.

Steve

15. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Sure am sorry about her loss. Truth be known she might could win with a broom handle if she could get shells in it...Fred

16. Vickie

Vickie Member

She had been filming a public service announcement nearby, and stopped at the mall on her way home. That is why she had the gun in her car.

Vickie

17. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

If you would view the news clip you would know that she had just come from a photo shoot in which she needed the gun and on way back from the photo shoot she stopped of to look at some shoes. I wouldn't have left my shotgun in plain view on the backseat of a truck but she chose to do so.

18. zinger

zinger Member

answer me this, how many of you look inside the backseat, or even in a window of a car when you are walking into a store? I bet none! So, rather than blame the victim, how about blame the lowlife pieces of crap who are too lazy to work for anything who go around looking for stuff to steal? I hope she gets her gun back and I hope those scumbags get their due.

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

The "victim" allowed herself to become a "victim".

If you walk in a park at night, bad things might happen. Yes, you may become a victim; no, you do not deserve the consequences; but lack of caution or common sense may bite you in the ___.

I feel badly for her but she will NEVER make that mistake again. It is called learning the hard way.

Don (who has done stupid things too, and sometimes paid the price)

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Hope it has release triggers, what a surprise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.