1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief of Gun Collection Discovered

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wild bill JP1, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

November, 2007….Neighbor just a few houses down the road from me had 15 guns stolen from garage after returning home from shooting range. Two trap guns included. Ljutic and Rem.870
    Feb. 2008…Suspected individual is discovered with at least one of the firearms in his possession….Serial number cross checked and double checked.
    Is one of the stolen guns (PERIOD)…
    Police contacted…. Police attempt to secure search warrant—judge denies warrant….Police approach individual at his residence and ask permission to search his house….individual says NO!…. (His right to deny, I know) I would have also but…
    Thief is now Alerted to police watching him….
    What would you do now?

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

He could of bought it from the theif.

Bill

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

It may be time to go the media with the judges' name and details. It may also be your right, depending on state law, to perform a Citizen's arrest, at which point, Law Enforcement is obligated to take offender into custody. Depending on where he is taken into custody, a Search Incident to Arrest would be proper by the arresting agency.

Make SURE this is the guy, or you may face civil charges.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If there is a police report on the stolen gun, take it, forcibly if need be from the creep and if he objects have a copy of the report for the officer when you call him.

My friend did this at a gun show and the guy who had it let him take it rather than have cops up his colon.

HM

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Call the ATF. They like to throw their weight around.

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

If that guy stole it then he stole it fair and square. It is now his. You could offer to buy it back. What ever you do get a bill of sale. I would hate to see you go to jail for stealing you property back. He has the law on his side. Bill

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Or worse yet have him pull an OJ on you.

8. WGB

WGB Member

Talk to the police, find out what the problem was with the search warrant. They either messed up on the affidavit for the warrant of something is wrong with the information. If the info is good, a warrant would be no problem. A judge won't (and can't) talk to you, don't ask. The logical next step is contact the PD Chief and push for action, pitch a bitch about the declined warrant or get the full story, something is not right. Don't be stupid about getting something back for somone else who may or may not have all the facts.

9. Satch

Satch TS Member

So this guy took 15 guns to the SR and then after returning left them sitting in his garage? Overnight?

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

You did not say "how" the serial number was verified...if it was by you or another civilian, it's just hearsay, and all you can do is "ask" law enforcement to investigate.

Which they are able to deny.

Sorry to mess up the pity party...

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

judge needs to be dethroaned! , I would call the tv station, request a television interview. call the newspapers, etc.
    steve balistreri

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

I once had an outboard motor stolen from me. I found out who did it. Contacted the police but they didn't do anything about it. So I hid out in the woods for a few nights waiting for him to move the motor. One night he started to load a trailer full of his and others belongings and I saw him put in the motor. I called the state police and now he is in jail. If someone I knew stole my guns I would confront them and give them the option of returning them no questions asked otherwise they would be looking over their shoulder for the rest of their lives. Sometimes you just have to do things the old fashioned way.

13. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

The serial number was verified by a co-worker who knew both, the thief and the individual who had the guns taken from his garage. This was during another day of shooting. This was after a few months had passed. Another interesting thing that happened:
    A few of the guns were returned. They were found in the back yard one evening during a visit from the person who is now discovered to be the thief.
    I though I might get some good ideas from you guys.
    Some offered useful thoughts.
    Some didn't.
    My thought....And I am a gun nut!!!.... a gun is not worth trouble with the law....Even when it's your gun and you know it....
    Thanks.....

14. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Call BATF---get the feds involved---give them something real to do---Phil

15. Satch

Satch TS Member

Sarge is right--we're definitely not getting the whole story here. No one just leaves 15 guns in their garage.

16. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

JUst recently a friend of mine had his backoe stolen one night after a auction. About 30 days later they found out where it was and the barn it was in. They went to the County sherrief. They wanted them to go out with them to get it back. After about an hour of arguing with County cause the sherrief would not go the two brothers told them they were going to go and get it now. If they did not come along they would not gaurantee what would happen but they were going to get it them and no more waiting for the chicken shit law. They got in their truck and away they went. The Sherrief sent a deputy to follow them and go in with them and stop any trouble before it got started. The two brothers pulled in the driveway and went straight to the barn. The deputy followed. When they got in the deputy discovered several thousand dollars of items that had been stolen around the county within the last year. This all happened last Sept. of 2007. Well the brothers got their backoe back and the people that were responsible are still on the loose with no warrants and the barn is still full. The thing is I can't figure out how in the hell a County mounty or deputies live in 250,000 to 400,000 dollar homes in a 125,000 to 175,000 dollar area. These jobs of that kind don't pay worth a darn. I have turned down those kind of jobs because they pay a little above poverty level. Got me. Bill

17. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

put some guns in your garage..shoot whoever comes in to take them..ck the body for ID, go retrieve the other 15 guns and put them in your house, then the cops will never come around..milt

18. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

wbg and a few others posted to correct answer. I you have proper identification and can prove same, and prove where the goods are then if becomes the responsibily of law enforcement to follow through. If not contact your local news media. The can apply a lot of heat. But be sure the info you provide is correct. - Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.