1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

They've taken the signs down...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ahab, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

They've taken the signs down...
    ...the "no guns are allowed on the premises" signs at that mall in Omaha, that is... A little too late.

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I think he means that if you were allowed to carry before that rectum decided to go on his shooting spree, someone could have stopped him before he got his second shot off. Because no one was able to come into the mall with a ccw permit that rectum was able to to take target practice without anyone shooting back.

JMHO...Jerbear

3. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

They probably took them down because they legally cannot post no guns allowed when they rent to other patrons.I'm sure some lawyer told them to remove them before the lawwsuits start.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I still have not figured out why folks with ccw's don't just carry anyway. Here in Missouri, the only thing that the business owners can do if they know that you are packing is ask you to leave. And if they know, then you have not learned the meaning of the first C. Other state laws probably vary greatly.

I am not promoting the breaking of any laws, but...

I carry at the mall on the rare occasions that I go to one. I have carried into bands numerous times, I carry at work, have carried in a hospital once. Was in a wreck and had to go to the E.R. to be checked out and get x-rays. Just knew that I was going to have some explaining to do then lol. You can't just leave handguns laying about with tow truck workers. That would be asking for one to be stolen.

The only place that I don't carry is in a court house or police station. I feel pretty secure there.

John

5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I agree in Missouri that all they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking a law. As for the court house, police station, schools, churches, day care centers, and a few other places, those fall under another law which you are breaking and does carry jail time if you carry a gun into them. There are exceptions to this though(approved functions/individuals). For example high school trapshooting (the students cannot bring the guns on to the school property but an approved teacher can). Just make sure you are not breaking some other law by carrying into the wrong place (or near the wrong place).

6. tj303

tj303 Member

US Post Offices are off limits, I guess you are not allowed to protect yourself from somebody going 'postal'

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

In Minnesota, all they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, a cop can issue you a $25 misdemeanor trespass ticket. In the four and one half years since that law went into effect, No $25 misd. trespass tickets have been issued to any carry permit holder for firearms reasons. The word concealed is not in our law. Open carry in legal. By and large I also just ignore the signs. I was at a gun show yesterday that had signs that read "no LOADED firearms allowed". The wording, type style, type size and color background for signs prohibiting firearms are prescribed by law. You either ban guns or you don't. I couldn't see much future in gun shows that banned guns, so I was sure they didn't really mean what the sign said or they were just badly misinformed about the law. So, I just ignore the signs and make sure I have $25.00 just in case I decide to ignore the sign and a verbal request to leave. I alos keep a copy of the law in the books as cops don't seem to know what it says either. This was demonstrated on local TV when they had several armed citizens with permits and openly carried firearms walk past cops. Several guns were drawn, several people cuffed, several firearms taken. All as a result of a misunderstanding of the law.

Bob

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

tj303

Read the law again. You are not allowed to bring firearms on postal property for unlawful purposes. If you are shipping a firearms, that is a lawful purpose. If you have a permit to carry for protection, that could reasonably be argued to be a lawful purpose. I wouldn't want to be the one to test it in court but I do think it could be won. Brinks drivers do it everyday. I don't see anything in the law or regulation that gives them any more right than anyone else.

Bob

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ask yourself.....How many times has something bad happened before the idiots in charge finally wised up! It seems we are a society that ONLY responds AFTER something like this happens! To bad!

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    bcnu (John), quote: "...I still have not figured out why folks with ccw's don't just carry anyway..." (on property posted no firearms).

In Oregon, it could result in a felony trespass charge. My understanding is we're not the only state like that.

Combine that with the felony murder law in some states. If you kill someone, even in self defense, but were committing a felony at the time, you can get charged with homocide, be convicted, and serve time (or in some cases get the death penalty). While it would appear to be unlikely that an honest, law abiding citizen would get charged under such laws, it has happened in the past thanks to overzealous anti-gun prosecutors. Self defense is not considered to be a legal defense under felony murder laws.

Which brings us to "would you rather be tried by 12 or carried by 6". Everyone must make his/her own decision on whether to obey unjust laws that strip you of your rights. I'm simply passing on information on possible consequences, not advising people to not carry.

It's interesting that liberals were champions of Henry David Thoreau back during the 60's and 70's, and considered civil disobedience to be justification for their actions. Yet today, these same liberals shun civil disobedience because they have become part of the political power structure. There's plenty of irony in that many gunowners are now practicing civil disobenience in the form of disobeying unjust laws that strip citizens of their Second Amendment rights. For example, it's estimated that the AW ban in California only resulted in less than 10% of the pool of guns affected under the ban being registered. The law has a 90% failure rate due to civil disobedience. Similar disobedience toppled the mandatory registration scheme in Canada. And many people carry a firearm in defiance of laws designed to make them victims.

11. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

In Nebraska, a property owner can conspicuously post any type of "no concealed carry allowed" sign and it carries the weight of law. 1st offense is a misdemeanor, 2nd a felony for anyone who has a Nebraska concealed handgun permit.
    I don't know what the penalty is for an actual armed robber...

Nebraska statute 28-1202 also allows for an affirmative defense to carrying a weapon concealed, but that defense is supposedly not available for a permit holder according to the State Patrol, but I don't think they have the power to make that call. We will see.

My guess is that civil disobedience by normally law abiding folks is quite common here in Nebraska

12. guncase

guncase TS Member

I kinda wonder about you all that think you need to cary a gun whereever you go!!1 Sounds like a paranoia to me!! Pull your gun on some dummy and he could take it away from you and feed it to YOU!!!

Do you REALLY have the balls to use you gun in a situation that doesn't include bodily harm to you?????? I don't think so,, considering the end result!! YOU in jail for using your gun in an unwarranted situation!!

Now,,, don't say that I am against guns,,, just dummys carrying, adding to the problem.. I know a lot of people who I don't think should have a gun in their pocket!!

13. tomk2

tomk2 Member

and a bunch I don't think should have keyboards or voters cards too.

14. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

"While it would appear to be unlikely that an honest, law abiding citizen would get charged under such laws, it has happened in the past thanks to overzealous anti-gun prosecutors."

No it hasn't. Give a reference to one case where that has happened. Not to be too pedantic, but the idea of "law abiding citizens" being charged with "felony murder" is an oxymoron.

"Self defense is not considered to be a legal defense under felony murder laws."

That is a totally absurd and self contradictory statement, made by someone who doesn't understand what is "felony murder". Again, give one example of a case that has held this way.

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Don't worry too much about Gunsmoke. If you use the search feature to find his posts you will notice that he is always negative, usually wrong and always attempting to throw gas on the fire. He is most likely a 13 year old troll setting in his bedroom typing on a computer his mom bought for him.

jim brown

16. Brian in Oregon

<i>gunsmoke100, quote: "I kinda wonder about you all that think you need to cary a gun whereever you go!!1 Sounds like a paranoia to me!! Pull your gun on some dummy and he could take it away from you and feed it to YOU!!!

Do you REALLY have the balls to use you gun in a situation that doesn't include bodily harm to you?????? I don't think so,, considering the end result!! YOU in jail for using your gun in an unwarranted situation!!

Now,,, don't say that I am against guns,,, just dummys carrying, adding to the problem.. I know a lot of people who I don't think should have a gun in their pocket!!"</i>

You are against guns. You are a sadly misguided, ignorant, social elitist whose thinking rubs shoulders with the likes of Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Barack Obama, The Clintons, Chuck Schumer, Diane Fineswine, Nancy Pelosi, Sarah Brady, Pete Shields and many more.

I suggest you go turn your guns in at the nearest Gun Buy Back, then go put on a pair of Depends, and whine and bleat like the liberal crybaby whiner you are while waiting for the nanny state to wipe your ass.

But please, do not EVER tell us you are not against guns. We can clearly see you're full of crap.

17. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

It never ceases to amaze me why so many of the general public seem to be so concerned about LAW ABIDING citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon! In Kansas you must have completed an 8 hour course with an approved instructor($120), go to the sheriff's department to be finger printed and obtain the application($40)and send it along with $110 to the State Attorney General for his approval! There are several places in Kansas where it is not legal to 'carry', ie, banks, churches, court houses and places where the idiotic little "no guns allowed" stickers are displayed! Our City Council passed an ordinance that did not allow CCW on any city owned or controlled property. This and other similar ordinances were deemed illegal by State law. The City even had the "no guns allowed" sign at the entrance to our cemetery! In Kansas and I'm sure in other states it is legal for a law abiding citizen to purchase a hand gun without a permit, strap in on their hip and parade up and down main street and not be violating any law(but don't slip in a purse or under your shirt). No one hell bent on committing a felony cares about the 'little sticker' posted on your front door. It's time the public wised up, it's not the citizens who have a CCW permit that you need to worry about!

18. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I talked with a student who works in the mall. Saturday the mall reopened and was packed with people. Von Maur has not opened yet. Omaha

19. Brian in Oregon

20. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I can. What good is a gun hidden away at home when you are elsewhere? You just never know when or where you may need one. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.