1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

They resent my retirement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yakimaman, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I don't understand. I'm 64 years old - have been gainfully employed for 46 years and retired the first of this year. Now that I've some time on my hands I've looked up some old acquaintances and coworkers just to say hello and catch up on the years. Most of us are around the same age, some working, some not but I'm seeing walls go up over the fact that I have pension income and health benefits that they don't. I did 23 years on active duty in the US Air Force - I get a pension and some decent benefits - I paid into Social Security for over 30 years and I get a check every month - and I worked as a public employee for over 15 years and get a check from them too. Ok, that's all well and good for me but by God I paid for it, I did my time, I worked the jobs that others didn't want, I stayed on active duty when others went home - that's cause for resentment now? I don't laud it, I don't run around saying anything about it. But as soon as it comes out that I've retired from USAF, retired from public employment and have applied for social security contact starts shutting down. I've never told a soul how much money it is (and it ain't all that much) but the fact that I get it at all seems to pi$$ some people off. What's it going to take to make everyone happy? Get rid of all pensions, all benefits, make everyone destitute or forced to work until they die?

Rich

2. rd

rd TS Member

They're mad about my pension?

With friends like that, who needs enemies? Really-why do you give a sh-- what they think about how you have successfully managed your careers and planned for retirement?

But- my wife has experienced the same phenomenon. A lot of our friends seem to resent the fact that she was able to retire early due to her being attentive to her retirement plans. We simply attribute it to envy.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Find new friends. I use that word "friends" loosely in this case as no real "friends" would act as such. I had to clean my friend shelf in the recent past when their true colors came out after my health ordeal. Life is too short to deal with that crud. Also, Thank You for your service to our Country. My father was an Air Force Vietnam Vet.

Matt

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

They resent you, because you were "lucky" working 2 careers during your lifetime and living long enough to collect the benefits.

Same type of attitude Washington looks as successful people who "won life's lottery", even though they worked hard to get there.

More power to you.

5. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Enjoy your benefits...you EARN BENEFITS. The benefits are part of your earnings, your wages that you agreed to work for many years ago. That's what we all strive for...enjoy.

6. 682b

682b Member

So what. You were smart, You did what you were suppose to do. You looked after you and your family's best interests. I could say more but I would sound bitter. Enjoy your just deserved retirement. JIM

7. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

My deceased father-in-law was in a situation similar to yours. He was career Navy and upon retirment from the Navy, he walked out of his office, walked down the hall, into his new office and new job as one of the guys who wrote the specs for the Harrier project. He was a fine father, a fine man, and one of the best friends I ever had.

After his retirement from Civil Service, he chose to return to the area where he was born in Alabama. At first, he didn't fit. He and Millie became active in their church and in time they made a wonderful new life for themselves. He helped people in need and he gave freely from his wallet and his heart. He's gone now, but you aren't. Jump into your community, your church, or your shop, but don't let those bastards drag you down.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I would not take it personally. There is just so much hurt and disappointment these days that people cannot deal with it. Yes you did the right thing, but many others did too, and the crooked politicians and financial people have gotten by with stealing so many pensions. Even past doing the right thing, you are lucky. I did my time, I lived a disciplined life, I sacrificed to save also. Federal bankruptcy judges have allowed two different organizations to default on my pensions. The failure of the government agencies to oversee the 401k providers has allowed merril lynch to steal almost all of the $270,000 I put in. That is not counting the money the employer was supposed to put in. I maxed out my social security contributions for 40 consecutive quarters, but I have little hope in collecting a penny, plus they are changing the retirement schedules to delay my benefits. Like I say, people feel hopeless and they cannot deal with the sad reality. When someone, by luck and the grace of God has not been victimized by the crooks comes along, it seems to reopen the wounds. Don't worry about it and enjoy the fruits of your labor with thanksgiving.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

FEAB9

Curt

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"I did 23 years on active duty in the US Air Force - I get a pension and some decent benefits - I paid into Social Security for over 30 years and I get a check every month - and I worked as a public employee for over 15 years and get a check from them too."

Next time you meet someone, leave these parts out. After you find out if they are a friend, then telling them won't affect your relationship (maybe).
    Aside from the 23 years in the Air Force, I'd skip the rest. Congrats on your success.

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

yakima: these friends of yours are jealous of you because they probably harbor resentment against any type of public employee and the retirement benefits they receive. That seems to be the bandwagon that the disenfranchised likes to play their "feel sorry for me" fiddle to nowadays.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Find new friends. It doesn't appear they were friends in the first place, maybe just acquaintances.

13. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

They were not freinds if they are doing this, they were aquantances.

I am 59 years old and I have lots and lots of aquantances, but, only 4 true friends.

What is a friend?
    Someone who would get you a sack of 300 dollars worth of quarters at three in the morning if you were in trouble, no questions asked.

14. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

You may want to re-visit the story about "The Little Red Hen". Granted it is a young children's book but it sums up what you are currently experiencing. You may want to change your screen name to "The Little Red Hen" (or LRH for short).

She too worked long and hard to get in a harvest. Everyone else didn't bother helping. Then, once the bread was baked, everyone wanted some.

Good Luck to you "LRH"

In case you forgot about the Little Red Hen, here is a link to explain it.
    Little Red Hen Story

15. soup

soup Member

I'll tell you why these folks don't cotton to you . They are not thinking historically-they are thinking in the present>>> plants closing-high cost of gas-health care-AND THEN THEY SEE YOU RETIRED AND DOING WELL !!!!!
    They don't see all the time you were away from home -all the weekends you worked-the $ 80.00 MONTH paychecks ( when they were making $ 80.00 a week )-your family moving every so often & worst of all they may be working in a very unrewarding field , where as you have given great service to your country .

Human nature makes them jealous-enjoy yourself & don't worry about them .

And one more thing , plese allow me to thank you for taking care of our country .

HIT

16. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Yakimaman, You have described my situation almost word for word. Same branch of service (21yrs), I then went into manufacturing for 26 yrs, bought a small farm and retired at age 64. I can forgive most people for their feelings but's even worse when it comes from family members. What makes it doubly bad is that they had the exact same opportunities I did. Most of the time I don't even mention it. Some good friends know but don't make an issue of it. Congratulationw and enjoy life. Believe me it's not worth worrying over.
    Bill

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Someone who would get you a sack of 300 dollars worth of quarters at three in the morning if you were in trouble, no questions asked."

I like it.................... I know what you mean of course i'm still trying to think where in the heck i'd round up that many quarters at 3am. :)

18. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

yakimaman,

Your last sentence: "Get rid of all pensions, all benefits and make everyone destitute or forced to work until they die"...well Obama has got us on the path to that end.

2012 OMG.....Obama must go.

19. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

"Now that I've some time on my hands I've looked up some old acquaintances and coworkers just to say hello and catch up on the years."

Acquaintances and coworkers are not synonimous with friendship. I worked with 600 coworkers and count two as friends, acquaintances are just that. You are moving into a new era in your life and need to accept the change that comes with it.

Immerse yourself in new adventures and a whole new set of aquaintances and if your lucky friendships will develop. Don't let others spoil the new life you have ahead of you.

ABBY

20. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Y-Man,

A thought just occured to me. Please conduct a survey of the number of "friends" you have contacted and report back to us with the percentage of the group who are or were union members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.