1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

They Are Back. Quail.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We use to have 6 to 8 good covey of quail on our place back in the 60's. With time and not over hunting they went down to one covey by the 80's. In time that covey was getting smaller and smaller till the late 80's or early 90's they were gone.

When we were deer hunting we always asked at the end of the day WHO SAW THE COVEY? Someone always saw them. One year we didn't at all and we all missed them.

This year a friend was out deer hunting and told me he saw a small covey of quail come by where he was hunting. I just hope they stay around. I haven't heard quail or seen quail around here for years. I hope they stay around.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have feeders at my hunting club and we have two coveys that have made it home. I live in town and in the spring I can step in my back yard and whistle up some birds. Usually they come in individually like they are hunting a mate. Jackie B.

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

Here in Washington I have over a hundred in my yard every morning. They are every where.

4. tarheel

tarheel Member

The Quail Population in Central NC has been gone for around 20 years!
    And They cannot figure why!

Tarheel

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Shoot all outside cats. I know incoming. Jeff

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Weather and habitat are the keys for quail survival - predators are actually a good thing and indicative of a healthy bird & small game population.

If your quail population has taken a big dive its probably because of a few harsh winters in a row or perhaps a cold/wet snap during nesting & brooding period. The other likely event is the loss of brushy habitat due to modern farming practices or urban sprawl - although the valley quail do quite well living in towns, cats and all.

Cats, owls and hawks do eat a bunch of quail but it is a natual form of covey culling which actually helps the the covey from a genetic and disease miniimization standpoint. Also the predators can't kill what isn't there and they won't stay in an area that doesn't have food.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

There gone is Southern Jersey. The loss of farm acreage and the introduction of Turkey have been the last nail in the coffin. Hawks and Owls and no trapping don't help either.
    Joe

8. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Rumour has it that if you turkeys in your area you wont have any quail, they eat up the chicks as soon as they are hatched.

9. gotbass

gotbass Member

I live in town, but right on the edge of a green belt. Last year mom, dad and 10 little ones. This year only one pair no chicks, but now at the end of fall I have a covey of 20 nice fat one thru the yard twice a day. They are a hoot.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We used to have quite a few around our place then they all disappeared, then one year we had a covey, they were staying in a cattle yard that was empty, and over grown with giant ragweed, I heard they love the seeds from giant ragweed, but anyway, after a while there was a red tailed hawk that would be sitting on a light pole every morning when I would go get the paper, and one by one they disappeared

I should have shot the hawk, but we also have rodents that they get rid of

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Is it just coincidental that quail and pheasants began to disappear when the no-till farming started?

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Actually no till should be better for them there's more cover for them to hide

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The problem is the "cover" gets sprayed during nesting season.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Numerous studies were done in the southeast as to why they had disappeared and this is what I was told. Ga, SC and Al all sprayed for fire ants and this killed some. Then there was the spray farmers were using on soybeans which I might add is no longer legal to use. Then add to the equation Coyotes and Turkeys. You can see from this why they almost disappeared but are now making a comeback. People are working at controlling the coyotes and turkeys and hopefully the turkey season will be opened up more and some hens will be allowed as they are becoming pests like the geese. Jackie B.

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

There are many, many theories regarding the disappearance of quail but nobody knows for sure. Dr. Rollins (see link) knows as much about qual as anybody alive and has been studying them for decades but even he doesn't know. He believes that there are many causes, not just one. He puts out a newsletter regarding his research regularly and even has a donated ranch just for quail research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.