1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

They all went bang!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMiles, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Brand spanking new to reloading shotgun ammunition with many, many thousands of handgun rounds loaded on a Dillon 650. I bought a used MEC 9000 figuring I would spend time tuning it and learning what makes it tick for future maintenance. Struggled through the first 50-75 rounds with spilled powder and shot as well as very different powder charge weights with Clays. I finally discovered that the brass washer under the powder bottle bottle was upside down. Flipped it over and started getting consistent charges (16.5 grains, 1 ounce of #8 shot). I finally settled into a comfortable routine of put hull in station 1, put wad in guide, watch for primer drop as I pulled handle with smooth stroke, repeat process again and again and...
    Loaded rounds looked just fine. Nice, level crimp, etc.. Off to the range to give them a whirl. As the title says, they all went bang. No problems powdering the bird when I did my part. First round was a 22 which seems to be my ceiling. I'm just going to have to shoot more and work on busting 23 or 24 or 25.
    What a hoot!

Pat

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Pat....... You will find that reloading your own shells for trap to be almost as fun as shooting them. For me, personally, it's a theraputic thing, and it totally relaxes me. I put the ipod in the Bose, turn on the blues music, and get lost in a world of great music, and loading shells for hours at a time...... Don't worry too much about that first 25, it will come, and soon........... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I remember my first "batch" Sort of scary but really neat when all went as planned.

4. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Yeppers, the reloading thing is part of my fun time in the shop. Right now I'm fitting an adjustable butt plate to my BT-100. My kind of retirement!

Pat

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I believe the 9000 was the reason for the development of the "cookie-sheet catch-all". However, they were a heck of a buy for the money. I loved mine, wore out 3 gas springs on it and sold it on Ebay for $30 more than I bought it for (used - $195). We had a pet name for the used primer tray that came with it, but I can't say it here. Usually it's name came up when the charge bar lock failed to do it's job. ;-)

Enjoy your new hobby.

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pat:

Congrats on a successful maiden voyage.

You'll learn quickly that proper primer drops are the weak point of every MEC loader. MECs have an irritating habit of dropping a primer and missing the hole, or they land upside down, or don't drop one at all. Just about the time you think you've adjusted the problem out of existence, you'll find you didn't, LOL.

Good luck with your first 25.

sissy

7. psfive

psfive Member

I have loaded thousands and thousands and thousands of them things. Every one of them a work of art. Like Trap2 says it is as close to therapy as I can get. Whats that my drop box is full again (holds 800+) I just emptied that thing. That is how it goes at my bench.

You might look into an UNLOADER from Gary. Search The Unloader here. It takes apart all of the oh no's and it will make your loading bench look better. Welcome to the world of stuffing hulls. Paul in Nebraska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.