1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

there was a LOT of money sloshing around The Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Instinctively, I knew there had to be, of course, with the $300k Martin Seed-Money Lewis and the Winner-Take-All Handicap.

What was more interesting to me was to see the distribution of scored that got paid.

Admittedly, the conditions were perfect, and if you are capable of running a trap, if you you didn't run them all, you were shooting registered practice.

In the Martin Lewis, alone, itsownself, there were 3,453 checks written, distributing $522,000 and very, very damn few of them went to 98h, 198s, or 97d.

Contrary to popular wisdom, it sure seems like 'the big dogs' (Harlan, Mitch Loveless and Fred Nagel excepted) were net donors.

Lots of normal, good shooters got checks. GOOD!

Bob

2. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Here's the deal with Lewis purses, though.

With that many checks, and what it cost to play, very few people actually won much if any money.

If it costs $200 to enter, and you get $50 check, I often here people say they "made" $50. Not good math.

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

It looks like if you plaayed the 200.00 dollar lewis purse and won any in the 1,000 target lewis then you made at least 160.00 dollars.

EVENT # 13 - EVENT # 22

MARTIN HOA LEWIS ON 1000

1610 ENTRIES = $261000.00

SCORE WINNERS PAID

989 1 $26100.00

984 1 $15660.00

983 1 $10440.00

942 14 $ 1864.00

941 12 $ 1305.00

940 29 $ 360.00

926 20 $ 1305.00

925 25 $ 626.00

924 25 $ 418.00

909 15 $ 1740.00

908 17 $ 921.00

907 15 $ 696.00

881 7 $ 3729.00

880 5 $ 3132.00

879 7 $ 1491.00

But I know what you mean mallard2 most lewis you hardly get your money back unless you are the only score for that class.

Foggy

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

sure ... and absolutely ... gambling at trap is a voluntary tax on the innumerate.

That said, the 'human' scores got paid a fair amount, too.

It was obvious a lot of shooters played the $200 pot, and did NOT play entry Lewis.

It costs $500/day to shoot for trinkets, stay and eat; $200 is an incremental & divisible cost that MIGHT pay something if you hit the break point, but it is NOT the extra $200/day to play all the options.

Also, of course, weather had a lot to do with it: 196 & 194 & 186 made good money, and there were a LOT of 199, 198 & 197 that donated.

It was interesting tossing the numbers.

Bob

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The majority would have made more money - and had more fun - pitching pennies in the parking lot.

Practically, the average shooter has the hopes and wisdom of a guy playing a slot machine when he enters the Lewis. The Lewis is a demonic scheme to extract money from the masses for the good of the very best shooters.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It appears that approx. half of the over all entries played the Martin Lewis based on the numbers that were posted ... I would of guessed a lot more people would of put up the $200 trying get a piece of the pie ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Nah, I think it was a rational, economic decision not to ante-up if you are not a doubles shooter and/or you're only going to be able to shoot a couple of days.

Generally The Grand is a destination, and not just another big regional shoot, as average events/participant are ALWAYS higher: 5.4 v. 3.9 this year, Grand & CC, for example.

That said, there is still a lot of 'day-tripping' at The Grand.

Bob

8. bas

bas Member

I played the Lee Ann Martin $200 Lewis. I NEVER play purses or options. I hit two and collected a total of $135. A friend I was shooting with hit two and collected over $300. The BIG payouts were on the HOA for Grand Week...and of course, we know who won those. Would I do it again? Probably not - did I go to the Grand just because of the money? No. But it was fun running up each day and swiping your card to see if you "won".

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You had a lot of entertainment for $65, then.

There's no doubt it entertained a lot of people for several days ... shoot, it provided great sport here at ts.com for a year.

Glad you had more than $65 of fun.

Bob

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Goat, weren't you there to talk to the shooters? I talked to lots of shooters who made a few extra bucks. Thanks to the Martins for all they do for Trap Shooting!

11. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Normally options are a zero sum game (all money paid in by shooters gets paid out to shooters), however, with the very generous donations by the Martins, the option game at the Grand changed.

38% of all the HOA lewis money was in addition to what the shooters put in.

If you shot the 1,000 HOA targets, it made a lot of sense to play the purse.

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

My observation was that many folks who played the Martin lewis did not risk additional funds to play the regular event lewis. I thought the normal event lewis payouts did not reflect the fact there were over 2,000 people in each event.

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Gary, yeah, I noticed that it looked like 'normal' options participation was at least a little lower than 'usual,' but I was already crosseyed, so didn't chase any numbers around.

But there HAD to be a fair bit of substitution.

Bob

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Next year there will be a penny pitching contest against the wall of the Central Entry Building, Cost to enter will be .10 cents, and no classes all open pitching, wall leaners forfeit. Some contests say if your toss hits the wall your coin is forfeited, it won't qualify.

GB
    DLS

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All on my squad "netted" profit on their $200 Martin entry. Everybody knows that "targets thrown" is the bell weather for success or failure of a shoot.

For the first try at promoting a single lewis purse, no one can deny that this year's Grand American tournament was a success.

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Barry, yeah I agree for a first time and a pretty complex project, it came off very, very smoothly.

I 'spect there may be some tweaks coming, but anything that creates that kind of positive buzz for shooting is a good thing.

Shoot, I'll even bet Betty plays again next year, also.

Bob

17. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I never shoot for money. Just not interested in it. I shoot to break what I can that day and go home happy that I shot.

Harry

18. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I don't have a clear picture about how all this money stuff works. Is there a resource where a person can turn for help in understanding the intricacies?

19. Gary Waalkes

Here is a clear explaination of the Lewis Class system. There are many more options and if I were you, I would buy a book that explains them. In Shotgun Sports, there is a decent guidebook called Trap Options - A User Manual. It costs 10 bucks.

20. Gary Waalkes

To order the book I described, go to the shotgun sports web site and at the bottom of the home page you can shop. Go to the books area and filter on items starting with "T".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.