1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

There Their and They're

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

There Their and They

Gentlemen:

“There, their, and they’re” are three different words. They have three different meanings. They aren’t interchangeable.

Some words are tricky. Other words aren’t used very often and it’s easy to forget rules about their use. “There, their, and there” are NOT among those words.

Understand this note is NOT about picking on folks. It is about fellow shooters and second amendment good guys expressing themselves well in writing. If you aren’t sure about the correct usage for “there, their, and they’re” look them up in a dictionary. The online dictionary – ‘dictionary.com’ is a handy reference with lots of examples for proper use.

If you’re not sure how to look words up, or still aren’t sure about correct use, ask a friendly fellow shooter. Consider me one…

Yours in sport,

sissy

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You are a Troll.

3. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Troll or not. But he's as Marissa Tomei said in My Cousin Vinny, "dead on balls accurate."

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

They're ya go, tell em to get there dictionary and get over their and lern sumptin. What's buggin ya anyway?

GneJ

5. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Their they're now Tron...be nice

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

They're = they are
    There = direction. example: over there.
    Their = possession. example: that is their house.
    Bulge.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

"There" is a Troll at work here. I'm certain of it.

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

In this age of abbreviated language, our young ones are learning to ignore basic principles of speech, sentence structure and seem to favor what i call 'lazy talk'. I was lucky to have finished high school, but i learned over the years to appreciate our beautiful language and took a little time to understand it better.

I still struggle with it in some areas, but i like the challenge of coming to understand. Obviously, it does not make us stupid or backward if we don't have a total command of the language, but i do feel it makes us just a little bit more complete when we attempt to take that command.

So they're : )

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Or how to capitalize "I"...

10. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Hey! It iz whut it iz!!!

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"They're, I've said it again! Their are too many people who don't know there punctuation rules!"

Well with that being said If you know the rules of punctuation why does it matter??????

If you can look at what is being written and know the rules don't you understand what was written. It seem to me the thread is nothing more than as Tron says trolling.

BTW just out of curiosity the Lit said. It's "guns for sale"...not "gun's for sale." So what is it when you "punctuation rules!"? Isn't rules the plural of rule?? If why no Apostrophe in rules????? This is the big problem with English you need to be an encyclopedia to know all the rule. I feel as long as I can understand the meaning in the thread what difference does punctuation and word usage make????

Bob Lawless

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Don't forget erroneously substituting the word "and" for "an". If people read what they wrote out loud, this would never happen.

13. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

I like it. Also don't forget that sell and sale are not interchangable.

"I would like to sell a gun." "I have a gun for sale."

Chad

14. recurvyarcher

Ivanhoe, just because you asked, you only use the apostrophe to show:

1. Possession: (when it belongs to you, or someone, or something). "It is the gun's trigger that a piece of Chit, not the gun itself."

2. When it is a contraction (the combination of 2 words such as "it is". "It's the trigger that is a piece of Chit, not the gun".

When it's (it is) a PLURAL (more than one), then you simply add an "s", but you do not use an apostrophe. "These guns are nothing but pieces of Chit."

Of course, I don't spell swear words very well. They didn't teach that in school.

15. ivanhoe

There Their and They

"Bob, we can't communicate at all until you capitalize the "I" in "ivanhoe.""

Why is that necessary(to capitalize the letter "I" in ivanhoe)will it change anything that is being said. Or will it just make you feel better????

"Next you'll say you have no problems with a dangling participle."

Well believe it or not Lit I don't. The reason I don't is it has been over 40 years since I was in school. Before I started posting here I have never had occasion to write anything. So after 40 years you think I should remember what a "dangling participle" is???? I lucky these day that I can remember to come in out the rain.

Devi judging by your response I guess you got my point. Obviously the lit did not. I will however ask my question again.

As long as I can understand what is being said in a post what difference does the punctuation and word usage make. This isn't grammar school or even high school, we aren't taking a test when we post. Also interesting to note is if the proper punctuation and word usage were required to use this site there would only be about a have dozen posters on here to start with. Maybe everyone should just lighten up and leave it alone.

Bob Lawless

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have to agree with ivanhoe---I get paranoid when I post here about my spelling and grammer---When you try to make your point and you hit a home run the opposition will strike at your grammer and lose site of your post---They will try to make you look bad since they have no other recourse---You talk about how long its been since school---Well you should read some of the text msgs from my grand kids-----Hav a hape da---
    think our language is in trouble---SJB---

17. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

your all wrong.....

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Liter---I got U---U made my pt---hav a hape da---SJB---

19. ivanhoe

Well I see that the professional writer has had his say. Just think it is a shame that we all can't be professional writers.

Then again I wonder how a professional writer does at other functions in the scheme of things.

Bob Lawless

20. recurvyarcher

I think Recoil sissy is actually trying to help. I think his point is that many people read these posts, including the political left. Many people (but definitely not me) will judge you by your writing if that's all they have to go by (because they've never met you). The more intelligent that we look and sound as a group, the better for all.

Put a good face on the shooting sports in every way that you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.