1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

There is no free lunch!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 34 Inches, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 34 Inches

34 Inches TS Member

I recently went to North Hollywood Gun Club to shoot an ATA event. I came too late
    for the singles and so signed up for the handicap. North Hollywood serves lunch as
    part of the program, and charges $5.00. I said I had just eaten and wasn't going to
    eat (the hot dog) lunch and didn't want to pay for it. I was told it was built in to
    the price and I had to give them $5.00 or not shoot. Since I was already there I
    paid the money and shot. I'm just wondering how much revenue that $5.00 is going to

cost them since that was my last ATA event there. In the previous 12 months I had
    shot 10 events there.

Mike Klein

2. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Mike, Don't bite off your nose to spite your face. If you enjoy shooting there, it sounds like you will be the loser.

Ron Burdick

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

According to ATA rules when you shoot at a registered shoot you pay for the targets , ATA fees, and state fees. This is the first time that I have heard of a hot dog fee, I will have to check the new rule book. HMB

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I would pay the fee as support to the club. I hardly ever eat lunch at any shoot. I feel eating between events tends to make me want to nap & get unfocused.

Phil Berkowitz

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You didnt have to eat the hot dog, You could have given it to a skeet shooter.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I think there is a bit of a misundestanding and I apologize to Mike on behalf of the Club and Shoot Management for that.

There is no "$5.00 charge for lunch", because we just absorb the cost of both food and unlimited soft drinks within our target fees along with all of our other costs for targets, labor, trophys, etc.

Our target fees are $30.00 per hundred for trophy events and $20.00 per hundred for target only events. While we expect most shooters to shoot 2 events, some only shoot one. However, a free lunch is provided to everyone in attendance. This includes our trap help, spouses of shooters and parents of junior shooters.

As such, we could not have subtracted out $5.00 from Mike's single, $30.00 entry fee in that there is no set fee for lunch. Our lunches range from the simple dogs and cheeseburgers like this past Saturday to steak, ribs, chicken and lasagna. Our food is served buffet style and it is all you can eat.

It should also be noted that we pay out $35.00 in 5 Singles classes and 4 yardage groups plus HC Champion. We also payout a Vet, Lady and Junior combined.

The hardwork of our members coupled with trying to provide good value to our shooters have served us very well in growing our registered targets by over 100,000 per year. We hope that Mike will reconsider and continue to participate with his friends at NHSC.

7. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

If someone cared enough to come on here like that at a club I was shooting at I would be back there in a second. Lunch or no lunch....

8. 34 Inches

34 Inches TS Member

Sorry for the late response. I've been out of the country for the holidays.

In response to the North Hollywood (NHSC) reply, this makes sense to me. It wasn't all that long ago that NHSC charged a "lunch fee". You paid $5 extra and received a lunch ticket. Then it became part of the general fee - no more ticket. I assumed the additional $5 still represented just lunch.

The ATA events at NHSC are very well run and I do indeed enjoy shooting there. If it had been explained to me in detail I certainly would have not had a problem. It proves once again that you should never assume - we all know what happens when you do.

Mike Klein

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

$5??? Worry about what Obammy is doing to us, not the $5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.