1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

There IS a use for spent primers!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Spent primers actually make a very servicable rivet. Cut a deprimed empty shotshell off at the top of the brass and turn it metal side up. Set your spent primer upside down (reverse of normal) in the primer hole and use a small punch or whatever to punch the anvil and spent cap out of the body. Pull the empty primer case off the punch and you now have a servicable rivet that is already flared on one end, and comes in different colors and metals. Below is the I.D. tag on one of my dog's collars that I riveted to her collar using two 209 copper or brass plated steel primer bodies for rivets. Just drill your holes to the appropriate size slide your new rivet in with the factory flared end showing on whichever side you choose, and hammer the other side down to mushroom and flare it. Now those pesky primers which had absolutely no value are worth 1/10 cent each! I wouldn't use them on kids toys due to the heavy metals present, and would wash them in certain applications.
    This is the factory flare:

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view&current=temporary152.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    and this is the side I flared:

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view¤t=temporary153.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

wireguy- I like both your idea and your desire to use spent primers. However, I must confess that I am not sure I would use spent primers for rivets. I can buy 100 new rivets for less than $1 and time is important to me. The rivets from primers would be heaver than the ones I have but mine are faster.

Again, I congratulate you on your ingenuity and I hope others follow your lead and ignore my thinking. Do you think there could be any future in exporting the spent primers to China. They make a lot of clothing and seem to have a different attitude on the value of there time than I do.

Pat Ireland

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

ive also taken them in for scrap when i have a load of brass,mark

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Where are you located, Wireguy? I'll be glad to send a bag full if you pickup the shipping!

5. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Doug:

Which dog is the collar for?

Bout time to be thinking of a pup isn't it?

6. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Spent primers are also big sellers to skeet shooters! As long as they get a bargain like $50/5000 skeeters will snap them up!

7. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Freezing cold here in SW PA too. Not much else to do but stay inside and tinker.

This is either Rodin's Tinker or a representation of WV plumbing.

AJ100

relax Mountaineers just kidding

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

You guys don't reload them?

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When I run out of 1oz wads I use 1 1/8oz wads and place a used primer in the shot cup. This keeps the crimp from dishing in. Also if you paint them orange the scorer will think it's a chip. HMB

10. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Why not just load some pieces of broken target in the wad?

I told you guys it was freezing, stay in the house, cold here.

AJ100

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Pat, I'm retired so I have time to tinker. The hardware store is an entire 1/4 mile away. With gas at 3+ dollars per gallon I just couldn't afford the trip. I like your China idea though. They could use them to build articulating sheet metal children's toys complete with heavy metal residue and sharp pinch points.
    Art, this was Molly's collar. I still have four even after losing Zach and Mugs. Molly,<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view&current=dogstuff261.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Mocha, <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view&current=Mocha004.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>Missy <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view&current=dogstuff285.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>and Max.<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view&current=dogstuff197Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    AJ 100, I was thinking about using the discarded caps and anvils mixed in with 8's for spreader loads. Might work pretty well out to about 5 yards. I like your statue of "The Stinker".

12. Quick Shot

Quick Shot TS Member

You can also place them in your driveway when it's icy to get a better grip.
    Frank

13. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Damn, I shoulda thought of that one. "Stinker" How did I miss that?

AJ

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Put them in a shot bag and use them for a bag rest for rifle shooting.

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I sold 45,000 of them 1 time all packaged up in the 100 tray's then the 1,000 boxes then the 5,000 case the trick is to not to remove the staples and open the case from the bottom then hot glue it back and it looks like a brand new case of 5,000 ok not for sure if they staple them from the top now days or not but these were Winchester's.

I got 50.00 per 5,000 for them also just tell the buyer that they might be hot as in stolen here was the line I used on a friend and he snagged them up pretty quick.

Ok I told him they was hot out of IL of course Olin is where they was made and I got them priced cheap to move them.

There is more to the story they was sold at a retail store years later.

Im sure I could just see the faces of the customers that bought them from the store owner and he had no clue.

Foggy

16. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

at one time Corbin (the bullet die swaging company) had a die you could make .25 ACP bullets from used shotshell primers.....don’t know how many reload for .25 ACP, but someone had too…Grubby

17. DocJim

DocJim Member

My son (I find out many years later) used to take them to football games in the autumn. Other kids threw shelled corn after the home team scored; he threw spent primers. Jim G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

use for spent primers

uses for spent primers