1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Theft or Fire/Theft protection? Safe room or Safe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

I have a second story shop/room that I can make very "theft resistant" by reinforcing one wall and installing a heavy duty side bolting security door for about the same cost as a decent 32 Gun Fire rated/ water resistant safe. The obvious disadvantage is the room is NOT fireproof and I suppose someone could cut a hole in the wall/ break a window, 14ft up on a ladder. The advantage is its a large room 24 x 24, and I can have all my guns (I was thinking about having a good heavy duty Steel Cabinet bolted to the floor, reloading equip, ammo, and any other worldly treasures stored while we are away. The Safe gives nearly 100% theft protection, 1hour fire rating plus water protection, BUT limited on storage, weighs 800 +lbs and would need to be kept in garage. I cant have both yet, Soooo At the end of the day should I really be concerned with fire?
    Thanks for input
    Chris

2. Crickets

Crickets Member

I have a second story shop/room that I can make very "theft resistant" by reinforcing one wall and installing a heavy duty side bolting security door for about the same cost as a decent 32 Gun Fire rated/ water resistant safe. The obvious disadvantage is the room is NOT fireproof and I suppose someone could cut a hole in the wall/ break a window, 14ft up on a ladder. The advantage is its a large room 24 x 24, and I can have all my guns (I was thinking about having a good heavy duty Steel Cabinet bolted to the floor, reloading equip, ammo, and any other worldly treasures stored while we are away. The Safe gives nearly 100% theft protection, 1hour fire rating plus water protection, BUT limited on storage, weighs 800 +lbs and would need to be kept in garage. I cant have both yet, Soooo At the end of the day should I really be concerned with fire?
    Thanks for input
    Chris

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You could double/triple up on some sheet rock and employ some metal mesh/ chicken wire type stuff in between the interior walls. That should make it plenty fireproof I would think, as well as resistant to invasion from the interior. Bars on yours windows for the exterior.

Nick

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You could double/triple up on some sheet rock and employ some metal mesh/ chicken wire type stuff in between the interior walls. That should make it plenty fireproof I would think, as well as resistant to invasion from the interior. Bars on yours windows for the exterior.

Nick

5. Crickets

Crickets Member

double sheet rock with mesh is my plan, can even use fire caulking for joints and outlets etc, BUT cannot cover underneath to protect from fire from below.

6. Crickets

Crickets Member

double sheet rock with mesh is my plan, can even use fire caulking for joints and outlets etc, BUT cannot cover underneath to protect from fire from below.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

5/8" drywall is certified "fire stop", or double up if you wish. Larry

8. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

5/8" drywall is certified "fire stop", or double up if you wish. Larry

9. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

You said it's a second floor room. What happens to its fire resistance if the supporting structure underneath collapses and the second floor ends up in the first floor or the basement?

Mike Killian

10. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

You said it's a second floor room. What happens to its fire resistance if the supporting structure underneath collapses and the second floor ends up in the first floor or the basement?

Mike Killian

11. TPH

TPH TS Member

I would opt for (and did) the safe mounted on a ground-floor room - or garage - and bolted to the floor. In a fire, the drop from upper floors will ruin even a good safe, unless it's drop rated, and thieves can get in anywhere if they want to.

Another good option is to put stickers on the outside stating "black powder inside" and they won't even try to torch the door off unless they are really stupid.

Don't forget the Goldenrod.

12. TPH

TPH TS Member

I would opt for (and did) the safe mounted on a ground-floor room - or garage - and bolted to the floor. In a fire, the drop from upper floors will ruin even a good safe, unless it's drop rated, and thieves can get in anywhere if they want to.

Another good option is to put stickers on the outside stating "black powder inside" and they won't even try to torch the door off unless they are really stupid.

Don't forget the Goldenrod.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In a gunshop the owner was good enough to show me is home made walk in vault. It was on ground level with a vault door. The walls and roof of the safe was all reinforced concrete with rebar all through it. It is a fire proof safe. He built it after he rented the building with the building owners approval.

If you put your on the second floor and if theres a fire all its going to do is FALL to the first floor. Second don't be cheap and build it right the first time. Make your safe so good that it will take tools that will make so much noise that people will hear them and or its not worth their time to even try.

To make a long story short instead of going through a vault door the people went through the wall. Why? The wall was the weakest point of the vault. Get a good door is one thing. The walls are also a very important part of the vault.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In a gunshop the owner was good enough to show me is home made walk in vault. It was on ground level with a vault door. The walls and roof of the safe was all reinforced concrete with rebar all through it. It is a fire proof safe. He built it after he rented the building with the building owners approval.

If you put your on the second floor and if theres a fire all its going to do is FALL to the first floor. Second don't be cheap and build it right the first time. Make your safe so good that it will take tools that will make so much noise that people will hear them and or its not worth their time to even try.

To make a long story short instead of going through a vault door the people went through the wall. Why? The wall was the weakest point of the vault. Get a good door is one thing. The walls are also a very important part of the vault.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I dont worry about fire, thats why I have insurance. My safe is fire proof but who cares

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I dont worry about fire, thats why I have insurance. My safe is fire proof but who cares

17. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Then why should he worry about theft either?

My gun insurance covers fire and theft as well! It's easier to buy insurance than it is to try to fireproof a room with an exposed floor.

Mike Killian

18. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Then why should he worry about theft either?

My gun insurance covers fire and theft as well! It's easier to buy insurance than it is to try to fireproof a room with an exposed floor.

Mike Killian

19. Crickets

Crickets Member

My plan is to make it very unappealing to try to break in. I think I have that covered for the most part. I have limited funds, so doing a 1st floor vault is not an option, although I would love to, and I have the concrete experience to do so.
    Given the choice between a decent fire safe and a "secured" room. do I really need to worry about fire as much as theft prevention?

20. Crickets

Crickets Member

My plan is to make it very unappealing to try to break in. I think I have that covered for the most part. I have limited funds, so doing a 1st floor vault is not an option, although I would love to, and I have the concrete experience to do so.
    Given the choice between a decent fire safe and a "secured" room. do I really need to worry about fire as much as theft prevention?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooters safe