1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Winchester Model 71 has returned...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe going under was the best thing for Winchester. They've got a lot of interesting guns out now.

2. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Too bad it's got the goofy safety. Maybe now we can get some soft-pointed tipped bullets for the 348 cal like they made for the 45-70 and 30-30. I might buy one just to make into a .50 Alaskan. AJ

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I'm a confirmed M71 fan. I am pleased that Winchester has brought this fine rifle/cartridge back into their line-up. UNFORTUNATELY....@ $1469.00 bucks...you'd be crazy to buy one of these. You can buy an ORIGINAL..MADE in AMERICA "shooter" in real nice...although not "NRA excellent" condition for that kind of money if you're patient...and have a REAL sense of nostalgia in your hands.
    btw:I enjoy cast bullets in my M71....PLENTY of power for our Southern Whitetails with REAL MILD recoil.

4. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I believe these guns are made in Japan by Miroku. While I won't dispute their quality, having a Winchester lever gun that is stamped "Made In Japan" instead of "New Haven, Conn. U.S.A." just isn't the same.

Winchesters used to be made in New Haven and shipped around the world. Now they are made elsewhere and shipped back to the United States. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture?

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Why would this be any different from the Browning replicas?

These were the most powerful thing a working stiff could buy years ago, other than exotic bolt guns in H & H. 3 thousand ft/lbs, whammo. The tapered case, however (for easy extraction) made for a lot of bolt thrust and the potential was limited by it.

Link above is good reading. I had one with the factory bolt peep and it drove tacks.

HM

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, nice. Very accurate. The body of the sight is marked with yardages, and they were correct. That's a very nice example. There was a hood for the front sight, not shown in that pic.

It would have been good for the makers to case harden the lever, the bluing wore on mine from carrying in the cold Wisconsin seasons with gloves on.

I feel bad about not having mine any more, but it got replaced with a Savage LRPV in 22-250 that is phenomenally accurate. It has killed more creatures in 2 years than the 348 did in 50.

HM.

7. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Buddy Loveless the owner of Texas Clays has a very large collection of these original rifles, and he is very proud of them.
    Bob

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

AT $1,400 I don't think they will be flying off the shelf.

You can buy a Nice bolt gun with decent glass for that.

To me, the concept of a lever gun was affordable and rugged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.