1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THE winchester 1911 SL Widowmaker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Today I ran across a Winchester 1911 autoloader. You cock it by grabbing the barrell and pushing it toward the stock. Apparently it was the initial design of the Browning A-5. Do you guys have any input on this strange gun? I could buy it for $300.00.

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Make sure you don't cock it by pushing the barrel toward the stock, that is why it is called the widow maker. Reach up with your left hand and pull the barrel back while pointing it in a safe direction. They had issues with cracked stocks and forends and a reputation for heavy recoil.

3. Mapper

Mapper Member

My dad bought a used one around 1940 or so. Got a new forend and a hand full of parts. Fixed it all up and went hunting. Bird got up and Dad pulled down on it and touched it off. The last shot went straight up, into a bridge deck. I think the first shot killed the bird. Don't know about the others.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

As a collector,it would bring about $150. Last one I bought set me back $100.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There were a number of law suits because of that gun. Some people have shot themselves by working the gun.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If that gun was produced today it would be recalled quicker than it could get on the shelf.

It pains me to say this because I love guns but, IMNSHO they all should be deactivated and kept for bad examples of firearms design.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

As a collector,it would bring about $150. Last one I bought set me back $100.

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There were a number of law suits because of that gun. Some people have shot themselves by working the gun.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If that gun was produced today it would be recalled quicker than it could get on the shelf.

It pains me to say this because I love guns but, IMNSHO they all should be deactivated and kept for bad examples of firearms design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.