1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The whole powder can went bad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tulsey, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tulsey

tulsey Member

I was getting ready to do some reloading Saturday and when i started to look for a can of powder under the bench I was surprised at what I found. A can of IMR powder in the middle of a line of several cans of IMR had disintegrated leaving a pile of IMR stick powder, debris and rusted top. The cans on either side had some orange on them. No moisture problem in the cabinet, I just never have seen this happen before.
    tulsey_2008_03032.jpg

2. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Wow, neither have I.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The can was possessed by demons. HMB

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I keep mine in a drawer, but I'm going up to check each of about 10 cans right away.

Holee Mackeral Dere, Andy. Was the can metal? All that debris doesn't look like it.

HM

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I've had several IMR cans (from the '60s) begin rusting from the inside, but none of them ever got that far. I've got about 6 out in the garage now that I'm planning on disposing. When the powder comes pouring out orange, you know it's time to discard. No wonder they went to plastic. Dang.

Bob Falfa

6. Bill T

Bill T Well-Known Member

The 2 powder cans on the left look as if they're ready to go as well. How damp is that area?

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

From the looks of the "Flow", I think there was allot of moisture involved.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Looks like mice. Otherwise it would have disintegrated into a nice neat pile, not powder and bottle pieces spread out over the entire bottom of your cabinet.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Had to be vermin

10. tulsey

tulsey Member

The powder and brown material had spread around the area. There was no sign of moisture in the wood cabinet. The powder was on the lower shelf of a two shelf cabinet mounted above the floor of my unattached reloading building. Someone told me he thought the powder had turned acidic and ate the can. I just never had seen anything like that before. I don't even know which IMR powder it was and over the years some IMR powders were in different color cans. I understand better now why most everyone sells their powder in plastic containers.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have never seen this before but I have seen the orange color many times in my occupation and it is a trademark of Nitric Acid. My guess is the nitroglycerine in the powder decomposed and formed nitric acid which ate up the can.

Feaky.

12. Stl Flyn

It is really easy to tell if mice are involved. There don't seem to be any little chewings of the container. Most of all I really do not see any mouse chit in the photo. If mice are involved there is always evidence. I can't really see what reason a mouse would have to get into that can. Chewing on acid soaked cardboard would not be good.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The whole top of the can is rusty. You have an obvious environmental issue. Don't store powder in high humidity areas. How many other rusty powder cans do you have?
    The bottom of the two on the far left look rusty, they're next.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

If it was PB I'd be sweeping it up and shootin' it.

Wayne

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Just by the looks of the can color and the stick powder I am guessing it was IMR 4064. If I recall the last of the metal cans was late 80's early 90's. That does look like a bar code on the top of what is left so that may help date it.
    rlc323_2008_030333.jpg

16. Stl Flyn

Where is the bottom? Is it just to the left, of the top?

What is all of the green under the powder, is that paint?

If not, and it is something that came from that can, something was liquefied.

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You said Un-attached Building, do you live in a climate where there is moisture, and in an un heated area you would get condensation and that would cause the problem you expierenced.

I keep my powder where the area is heated and also air conditioned, as Inside.

Rodents did not do that.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. PJB23

PJB23 TS Member

Wolfram: I agree with your observation about the nitroglycerine decomposing in this double based powder. I have worked with nitric acid too and do believe this is what ate the can.

paul

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

From the photo it looks like the boards are on the floor. You can see a threshold. If that is the case, you have had a water problem at one time or other.

I once had termites get into the corrugated flats of factory shells then they got into the individual shell boxes. All they ate was the raw cardboard. They left the layer of printing and the boxes looked untouched until you tried to pick them up when they just collapsed. Weird little buggers.

I think if you empty out the round corrugated containers and look inside you might just find a waterline.

20. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Two years ago a buddy of mine removed a can of IMR powder from a wooden shelf that was inside the house in a heated room. The bottom fell out and although an estimated 3-4 lbs of powder was still in the can, it was just orange colored dust with a small amount of powder that looked its original form. This room was covered with the orange dust. The bottom of the can completely fell apart and the inside of the can was all orange. He said he last used that powder in about 1980-1985. There were two more cans with a very slight orange tint. I burnt all that powder and the can that had the bottom fall out did not burn well at all. All the cans were IMR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.