1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The way of saying something

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by porky, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porky

porky TS Member

I recieved an e-mail from another. The statement was ..
    Here is the most brilliant statement ever made without a word being said!!!!!
    Apparently there was this guy who was told by his Homeowners Association that he could not fly the American Flag in his yard......
    His response was to paint his house to look like the American flag. Needless to say that the association couldn't do anything about it.

2. avery53

avery53 Member

I saw that picture somewhere?????? Loved the story.

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

This is the picture I believe.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    LOL, I hope the HOA chokes on it.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What kind of queersville place would object to someone flying the colors?

Just plain wrong, but I do love the solution.

6. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Strange. You normally see those pain in the ass HOA's in new neighborhoods but that one looks old. So old that you think they would understand history and the importance the American Flag plays in it. It amazing that even communists understand the importance of a flag, but there are "educated" people in our own "civilized" country who don't understand this.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

There some of the HOA's in the DFW metromess that are insane, there are some that you can't own a pickup and live there not even if you park in in a garage, you can have an SUV but not a pickup, one of my customers told me that, my service truck is a pick up and he said it's okay for me to be there but not a resident

I asked him why he moved there, he said he wonders why himself

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Not all HOA's are bad.

A lot depends on who owns what.

The picture above looks like a detached unit when surrounding land owned and maintained by the home owner.

In the case of attached condos, or townhomes, the exterior of the structure and the lawns, greenbelts, sidewalks and driveways are owned by the assoication and they maintain that property, where as the home owner, has title to the interior of his living quarters and garage.

As a member of such an association, that is the way I want it. The association cuts the grass, trims the trees, cleans the gutters, replaces cracked and broken concrete, shovels the snow and paints the exterior pf the units as well as maintaining the roof repairs and replacements.

Everyonce in a while a new tenet moves in and gets all out of shape, because they cannot put in a glass globe, gnomes, or pink flamingos in "their front yard". Then they and the association pay lawyers a lot of money and it ends up the the home owner had no idea they did not have title to the grounds surrounding the property.

We ask did you review your deed, the "plot" and the association covenants that you signed for as promising to abide by, given to you at closing?

"Well no, we just assumed.......somebody should have told me......."

Some people like myself like these "controlled" landscapes, and have bought into it just for that reason that we don't want some wacked out lawn ornaments, uglying up the neighborhood

If you like that sort of thing buy your house somewhere else.

9. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I think a law has been passed that insures the right to fly an American Flag on your property -- maybe the word hasn't filtered down to this level.

The following happened a few years ago when my son was on the BOD of his HOA. One of his neighbor's applied for a "permit" to erect a flag-pole in his front yard. The BOD turned him down. He appealed saying it was his right as an American to fly the American Flag - the BOD told him if he could pass a written test on how to properly fly the flag they would reconsider.

He took the test and didn't have a clue so they turned him down. Brought in his brother-in-law (attorney) and rather than listen to this jerk at every meeting they issued him a variance authorizing him to install a flag pole of appropriate dimensions for the sole purpost of flying the American Flag in accordance with the honors and customs accorded to it.

1st week was up he ran a Texas Longhorn football flag and ran up the American Flag just under it -- kid you not.

The BOD called an emergency meeting to calm down a couple of Veteran's who wanted to insert the flagpole into an appropraite orofice - reviewed the facts - revoked his permit - gave him 24-hours to remove the flag pole. His response isn't printable so the BOD paid to have the pole removed and sent him the bill. He was dumb enought to ignore it and it wasn't very long until the money due was 5-figures and they served him with the appropriate papers to sell his house to satisfy the debt. He pleaded ignorance - he pleaded poverty - he admitted his attorneyh was an idiot - and so on. They offered him a one-time deal - pay half withing 24-hours or else. He offered 10% and there was a sign on his property the next day.

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Yes, if it is on your property, the HOA should have no business telling a home owner he cannot fly a flag, but if it is HOA property, that is a different issue and seldom mentioned when these stories appear.

There are cities that have bans as well, in terms of oversized flags and poles over a maximum length.

Anyway, I like the paint job, just wondering why no one has posted how offended they are that the flag is being desecrated this way.

Remember the post a few months ago with the flag that had Obama's image on it, but no stars???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.