1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Way It Was Is The Way It Should Be Today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The way it was way back when a group of shooters from Dayton Ohio bought the land in Vandalia Ohio for the Home grounds.

They were dedicated men and women who had one idea in mind, have a place to hold the Grand American.

The men that was at the helm of the ship had shooters in mind and were dedicated
    and received no compensation and put the control into the hands of the LIFE MEMBERS.

The Present ATA organization took it away from them by moving the State Of Corporation, re-writing some of the constitution that took away the Life Members Control, and now you are seeing what has happened.

I wish to Hell it was never changed, the original grounds could still have held the GRAND AMERICAN.

It was never, ever known for having so many events and lasting 10 days.

I wish it was operated like it was in the 1920s or so.

I will get off my soap box.

Gary Bryant
    dedicated to the average shooter.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gary,

"The Present ATA organization took it away from them by moving the State Of Corporation, re-writing some of the constitution that took away the Life Members Control, and now you are seeing what has happened".

This was not done by the present Organization, EC or BOD, it was done by the EC and BOD of many years ago ... It turned a corner back then and hurt itself for ever more ... I joined as a Life Member back in 1975 (I think) because of the people and the way the ATA was operated ... I would probably not do it all over again if given that choice as it is today ... I felt like I was a part of something, not just a supporter/member ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

NSSA has about a thousandth of the members and daily fees that ATA has, yet they own millions of dollars worth of their own land. What message does that give us. ATA stole the money, some time, some where. The Pattersons would be rolling over in their graves. They were wonderful people, patriots, and they didn't even shoot trap.

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For those of us who don't know much about the history of the ATA (OK, i know who John Philip Sousa was). I kind of wish you posters would give more detail.

For example:DLS says "the original grounds still could have held the GRAND AMERICAN." As I understand it, the "original grounds" moved around the country, then, eventually, it settled in Vandalia. If DLS is talking about Vandalia, again as I understand it, it wasn't the ATA's idea to leave and it's not the ATA's fault that the former grounds is just kinda sitting there, is it?

So, how could the grounds now be used for the Grand, if that's what DLS meant?

And eightbore says the "ATA stole the money, some time, some where." What money? The ATA has several million dollars in the "bank" at this time as, apparently, the result of the move to Sparta and the lease rather than purchase of property to hold the Grand on. Plus the benefit of the State developing the property to the point that it was ready to be used for the Grand in '06 without cost (or much cost) to the ATA. I believe they own the Pat Traps at Sparta and, perhaps, other things as well.

What money was stolen and was it stolen before or after the Grand moved to Sparta?

Bob

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Maybe the ATA should eliminate Ohio from its ranks and then the rest of us won't have to listen to this shit all the time!!!!!!!!

No disrespect intended to the Ohio shooters who are just as tired of this shit from the same people all the time.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

82 years at Vandalia and a few years everywhere else. Does anyone actually believe the Grand will be around 82 more years-especially at Sparta? I'll leave that history to the great grand children to figure!!

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The Grand may continue to exist for amother 82 years IF recreational shooting is not outlawed by the government. It is just that if it continues to be held in Sparts, it won't be so "Grand". I am no great loss to the ATA but when the Grand moved to Sparta, I gave up shooting registered targets. The Grand was the thing that kept me interested. I would not double my driving time to shoot in Sparta and put up eith the "problems" that the site creates. Let's face it, the Grand in Sparta is most comfortable for shooters with an RV. Othere have to scroungs for a hotel and restaurants within a reasonable driving distance.

I certainly wish all registered shooter the best and the greatest success wherever the Grand is held.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Birdogs............Wasn't that the same scenario for other shooters at Vandalia?

I think most of the crying is because now people who lived nearby who could make the daily drive now has travel like the rest of the country.

All this crying about the Grand moving proves the point that spoiled kids never grow up!!!!

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

1920? In 1920 the GAH was held in Cleveland. Be careful what you pray for.

Speaking of that though, it would be cool to rotate it around a few of the venues large enough to hold it.

-Gary

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Mason, Michigan