1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The U.S OPEN a great shoot.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 687 Trap, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

The Good News and the Bad News
    The Good

Shot there on Thursday through Saturday. Targets were very good, a little high but we had a northeast wind that gusted and there wasn’t much more they could do. People from Southern Promotions were friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. They made changes in the program, but they did a good job letting shooters know of changes. Shooters were friendly and it was a very competitive shoot.

The Bad

On Thursday it took 5 hours and 50 minutes to go through the singles event and at 6:00 the handicap shooters were still on the line. Then the rains came. They only used four banks. Friday and Saturday were a few minutes better as they added more banks each day. But still on Saturday we finished singles at 3:30 and they had an hour and half of starts before handicap was to start. We scratched our end of the day events each day because it got so late.

I understand that Southern Promotions was new at this and they wanted to make a buck which is OK by me. I felt they needed to plan to make the shoot run super fast and smooth to get it on the map. Then the money will come. No money in unhappy shooters. It’s a new event and as an Illinois Shooter I want it to be successful. The complex is the best anywhere and we need to get this event off the ground. It was great for the sponsors to step up and make this happen. Hope they can figure it out and we have a better shoot next year.

Ron

2. Ron S/IL

Ron S/IL TS Member

Ron,
    Thanks for your comments. We based the Banks on the presquad numbers we had. We had more workers and banks scheduled to be used up until Monday. In hind sight I wish we had not changed. We added banks on Saturday and Sunday based on the workers we could call back. When we changed plans a lot of our workers decided to do something else.

It is easy to say that now.

Ron,
    Southern Promotions inc.

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I see comments about the Southern Promotions group not having experience and as a result there were a few problem. Let me ask. Where were all the ATA officials, EC, Delegates etc?? It would appear they could have assisted, or at the very least gave information that would have been helpful. Or am I so rude to believe most do not really care about what happens to the average shooter!!! My apologies to those like Neil that do care. - Jim Elliott

4. Ron S/IL

Ron S/IL TS Member

Jim, We had lots of offers for help, and from some of the people that you are referring to. I can say that in general that Southern Promotions Inc. was treated great by thes people you are refering to. Jim Matteson was a lot of help to us, numerous others stepped forward to help. The end result was that we could not get enough additional help to open more fields and with the lack of experienced help, it was hard to push our employees harder. Some of our scorers hardly left their chairs during this very long event. We are already working on adjustments to our game plan. Presquading would have helped. Mistakes, yes, corrections we are working on.

I want to thank Neil for helping every morning to set the machines. He would not accept any compensation.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Southern Promotions Inc.

5. ky.shooter

ky.shooter Active Member

Jim, Just a thought. Maybe you would want to get some information before you start criticizing people for not helping.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Ron; I shot all 4 days. I thought everything was great except for the turn time between events. As you were using different banks why the wait on starting doubles? The delay between singles and handicap was excessive, when you have the 1st two fields clear start the caps. Next year you might want to start at 8. I thought your help did a good job. I will be back and so will many others based on the ones I talked to but you need to speed up the turn.

Don

7. Ron S/IL

Ron S/IL TS Member

BIGDON
    The delay was in part to allow our employees to grab a sandwich, use the restrooms etc. We did not have the back up help to run more fields at one time. I respect your comments and will consider them when the oppurtunity presents the use of your suggestions.

Ron
    Southern Promotions Inc.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Just curious...How many shooters attended??

9. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

A few comments/observations...

The OPEN was my first visit to Sparta.I only shot Friday...it's a fair haul
    from West County St Louis.I thought classification,squadding and cashiering
    went well.It was quite a wait to shoot singles,but I was good to go.
    By the time my handicap squad came up( 3 to 4 hrs later)my body had said
    goodnight...so for me the shoot was too slow...maybe try 2 trap banks
    ..50 per trap???Squad numbers on the back of the scorers chairs could
    be larger.Targets looked fine,with a great background...its really nice to
    be able to park behind your traps.

Bottom line, the shoot was too slow.I understand the attendence vs help
    problem,but the pace is what needs to be addressed.It's all fixable,and I
    can't wait for next years OPEN!

Mo Bill

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider . . .

Due to the way the squads were numbered, adding more banks on subsequent days did not make the shooting go any faster, it merely made room for more shooters to take the same amount of time. Kind of hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

On the first day for single/caps banks 6-7-8-9 were in use. Squads 1-5 were not released and 10-27 were not released (i.e. no shooters on those squads). Only squads 6-7-8-9 had shooters. The next wave of 27 squads only had shooters on 33-34-35-36 with the other 23 squad number empty. This was done at the Grand (and maybe last years Open, I don't recall) since it made it very simple for shooters to determine where they were going to shoot. However, when they added a fifth or sixth bank all it did was open up one or two more squads per rotation. If there were 10 rotations on Thursday and everyone who shot Thursday shot on Friday there were still going to be 10 rotations, even with one or two additional banks open.

I believe using this system would have made it difficult, if more workers were available, to add more banks from day to day in an effort to reduce the rotations. It would have thrown off the "system" of your squad number corresponding to the bank number. This is the only place I've seen this done, which is not to say it's not done elsewhere.

If the squads were numbered starting at 1 it would be much easier to adjust the number of banks on a daily basis (again, assuming you can staff them, which in this case it doesn't sound like was possible) in order to reduce the number of rotations (i.e. reduce the time needed to shoot an event). Plenty of big shoots do it this way and draw for bank assignments the night or morning before the events. Shooters have to check the bank assignments each day to determine where they will be shooting.

At an event like the Grand it make sense to do it the way they do, since you will be utilizing all of the banks anyway. But at shoots that need less than the full capacity, adding more banks after cashier tickets have been printed with bank numbers on them would have been a nightmare to deal with.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.