1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

the twin Glock 22 pistols he had ordered online.

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by pyrdek, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

"As he stood in the hallway preparing to enter the campus library through a side door, his sweating hands firmly clutched the grips of the twin Glock 22 pistols he had ordered online."

"shopped online for high-powered firearms and ammunition"

"Michael Morris is a lieutenant with the University Police at California State University-Channel Islands."

Those are three quotes from an article posted on-line from the Chronicles of Higher Education. Since this is from a California author perhaps someone there can clue us in where, since 1968, you can order "pistols on-line" and where you can shop on-line for "high powered firearms"and not be bothered by any Federal Laws prohibiting such transactions. The author also seems to think privacy issues can be waived because someone thinks that someone else may posting comments about a professor indicating a dislike of the professor or such is suitable action for trampling all privacy issues.

Another quote "If only there had been a way to look into a crystal ball and see that this horrific confrontation was about to occur, it could have been prevented." Yes, and if I had a crystal ball that allowed me to see the future, I would be richer than Bill Gates AND Warren Buffet combined, always know what to do and, more importantly what NOT to do, knew how to avoid EVERY accident, major and minor, I might ever had been involved in and never had a single car breakdown on the road, gotten booking on a flight that was going to be cancelled or delayed and anything else I would not want to be involved in. Yet he is looking at uncertain "science" to predict a human being's future activity by using HIS concept of a crystal ball???

Because there is a large amount of data a person MIGHT have put on line about himself the author feels "It is a form of behavioral surveillance, and it can be used to predict, with amazing accuracy, the propensity for a person's future behavior." He also went on, paraphrasing slightly, that since others are already invading your privacy, it is alright and in fact desired that HE can now also invade you privacy. His exact words are "Enhancing the capacity of threat-assessment teams through data mining is the next natural step using what would ordinarily be private information to prevent on-campus violence."

"Have you ever had a credit-card transaction declined because the bank noticed an unusual pattern of spending on your account? Through data mining, the bank drew the conclusion that your credit card had been stolen. It would logically follow that mining algorithms could be easily designed to predict the potential for planned or considered campus violence as well." Perhaps he never bothered looking at the fine print in the credit card agreement signed when applying where YOU ALLOW such actions on the part of the company to protect both YOUR and their interests.

This article is SO WRONG on so many ways that I don't even know where to begin to try to begin to correct his errors. If it was to be graded as a writing project, I would give it an "F" for fabricated statements, lack of legal compliance for his desired actions, misuse of "amazing accuracy" in regards to anticipating a person's future behavior and general mis or non use of factual information or referenced sources in support of his statements.

<a href="http://chronicle.com/article/Mining-Student-Data-Could-Save/129231/">Read it for yourself <a/>

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

That is the great thing about this country, you can say anything you want and make a fool of yourself and no one can stop you.

Look at Mrskeet410ga for example.

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I believe that refers to judging whether someone is going to heaven or hell but I could be wrong. You couldn't get threw life without judging, to deny that is to be a hypocrite, which we all are.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's spelled 'through' and why isn't it 'silverbulletexpress???

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

doggai

I know I'm flawed, I resent those who think they are perfect and better than I am.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

That would be Matthew, the first book in the New Testament.

Wayne

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What a jackboot.

Apparently individual rights mean nothing to him.

If you're a student with politically incorrect hobbies, politics, etc., you'd be well advised not to have a university provided email address if this rights basher gets his way.

Plus he's been in a coma since 1968. No mail order guns since that time.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Got me on the spelling error, why is it BigM?

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

just judging if you were ever going to Hell...lol

Jim Chapman

Hell, Michigan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.