1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THE TRUTH ABOUT RIBS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shannon391, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Done proper they are about the best eating a man can pull off the grill! Tonite I'm trying out a Texas style dry rub on some babybacks cooked long ,slow and low. And that is the mouth watering "truth about ribs " for now.

Shannon

2. thespan

thespan TS Member

MIA,

May I suggest the following:

Prepare the BB ribs as you do with removal of the membrane.

Prior to the application of the dry rub (I heartily recommend "Head Country" from Ponca City, OK.), lightly coat and run the meat with Worchester Sauce or some equivalent soy sauce based product.

Then, apply the dry rub liberally but not too much (gets too salty) and you do not have to physically rub it into the meat.

Now, get the rib rack out, and start at a much lower temperature, like 225 or 250 for about 1 to 2 hours.

Then, here is the critical step, wrap the ribs, each slab seperately, with a double-layer heavy aluminum foil and don't ask me why, but make sure the ribs are wrapped on the reflective or shiny side.

Return the wrapped ribs to the oven at 225 again for atleast another hour or so.

When the cut ends of the rib bones are atleast 1/4 inch further out from the meat and the slab is "floppy" (it will practically be able to bend in half),. then you have "fall of the bone" babyback ribs.

Any questions, please feel free the email me!

Good luck, and Blessings to all.

Peter Greenspan

3. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I was certain this thread would be about shotgun ribs! I pleasantly suprised. I've always been afraid to try BBQ ribs in the oven @ home but now I'm going to give it a try, thanks to MIA & MATAMATA MAN. BTW - MIA I ate at the NAPA VALLEY GRILL last week and the only thing that impressed me was their high prices! Thanks

Rem31TC

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lightly steam them in beer first...then follow the rules...

Curt

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

try them like this. season to taste. put a bed of sauerkraut in a baking dish. put seasoned ribs on sauerkraut. cover with foil. slow bake in oven. oh my god.....

brett d.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Will you have to do anything with your "comb" before you can enjoy your ribs?

7. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

I have found that with the right rib, your POI will be better and no complaint from the better half.

8. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

My wife makes the best dry rub I have ever tryed. It's snowing here and the grill is in the garage. Shannon if you were close I think I would take a shot at you for bringing this up....LOL........LOVE THOSE RIBS, cold slaw, and french fries and a nice glass of any dry red...........Roger

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Par boil them for about 20 minutes then slow cook them in the oven set at 225 degrees or grill on low heat for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours ... Layer the sauce on them every 20 minutes for the last hour and enjoy ... Take care to remove membrane prior to cooking and never dry rub ribs, they are mean't to be dripping in sauce, Hot sauce that it ... WPT ... (YAC), and former Fire Dept Cook ...

PS. The cook don't have to do the dishes which is how I became the cook ...

10. thespan

thespan TS Member

MIA,

Thanks for the kind words.

Remember that the motto of bar-b-que is try, try again.

Be patient and don't give up. Many variables come into play with good bar-b-que.

I use this technique for pork shoulder and other meats and I cook them in the oven, the Weber, the drum cooker, etc.

Good luck and blessings!

Peter Greenspan

11. zap

zap TS Member

The honest truth about RIBS is that pork ribs bbq with a little garlic and onion catchup are better tnan beef ribs.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ok It's Sunday and I'm fixen'to set off another batch. This time it's short ribs cooked long and slow in the oven for an hour or so on 275 uncoverd and seasoned. Then start moppin' on the sauce and cover while fetching a frothy Guiness every 20 min. or so. After nappin'
    off the beer for a spell they'll be a fallin' off the bone, finger lickin'
    good. Accompany with some warm jalapeno corn muffins, and fresh turnip greens and custard pie. I garron-tee!

13. chessney

chessney TS Member

What ever you do.Don't boil them..How to make chicken stock? Boil it!! you loose the flavor from the chicken..Why would you boil ribs?? Ziggy

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

MIA,
    A good Cabernet sounds like the perfect finish to this feast,by the fire with a fresh Pradon from the humidor. I salute.

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

The skin on the bone side of the rack.

16. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Anybidy have any suggestions for venison ribs? I have 4 packages of them in the freezer and was planning to wait until outdoor grilling weather, but if there is a good way to do them indoors, I will try it. I like BBQ sauce on them, but not anything hot. My system does not take kindly to hot stuff.

17. jmas

jmas TS Member

Take 4 or 5 racks amd lightly dry rub them with various peppers, white, black, and cayene, lightly salt, a teaspoon of liquid smoke, a teaspoon of worchestershire, then place them piled on top of each other and cover them in a turkey roasting pan. Place in a 275 oven for five hours. When done, the meat is just starting to peel back a liitle. Let cool for a half hour. then take out and pile them on a cookie sheet with spacers between, I use large spoons. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge on a couplle of hot pads to get cold. When cold, cut into single rib sections and lightly slather with your favorite sauce. Reheat to eat. They are ready to eat when they come out of the oven, but fall apart. They are easy to cut cold, and hold together better. They always taste better reheated and double cooked. GOOD EATING. We also use garlic pepper and lemon pepper in the rub if we have it in the cupboard.

jmas

18. laura!

laura! Member

Don't know about venison ribs, but backstrap, mmm... Cut in 1" chunks. Marinate in apple cider overnight. Then marinate in bbq sauce all day. Wrap in bacon, skewer and grill on low heat til they're still pink on the inside. You'll make a venison lover out of everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.