1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The thrill is gone

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lots of 24's, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Have reached the point where I really dont care if I shoot registered birds or not. Last year I bought a house only a mile down the road from my club. I can hear them shootng right now as I am typing this. After working 12 hours today, I just dont feel like going down there. Been working a lot of overtime for last 8 months. Too darn tired to shoot or even care about it. Have enough reloading components to last a couple months. After they are gone..........I dont see me spending 150 bucks for a case of primers, 90 bucks for a case of wads, and lord only knows what for shot......You rich guys go ahead, have fun. Think I am going to have a cold beer, go fishing , call it good. I can still afford beer. Cant afford to run with you guys any more. Peace. Shoot well.

2. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

Your crying to the wrong people about working overtime when most guys would kill just to have a job. Becareful what you wish for !

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why do you feel the need to tell us of your departure???

Don

4. neofight

neofight TS Member

Sorry to hear you have burned out. I am brand new to the sport, so the vinegar is still running strong. I have no plans to do anything other than shoot once a week, just for the fun of it.It will be fine if my scores improve and i hope they do, but in the meantime, i fish, garden, play with the pups, take my daily naps and try to keep things in balance.

Any sport should be fun and something one looks forward to doing, regardless of whether they intend to be competitive or do it for the kicks. Sometimes you can get a different perspective by asking yourself what you expect to get out of it. Maybe just taking a break from it would be good and go back when you feel like it. In the meantime, go kill some fish.

5. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Trap might not be for everyone.

I will assume that you are on salary if all your overtime can't help pay for the ammo. To each his own. I might move in to a more affordable house and even, well maybe, sort of, cut back on beer before I stopped shooting.

Perhaps after enough crossword puzzles and drinking at home, you will find that shooting a few less rounds but still staying in the game, trap was an enjoyable activity that you missed. I might get tired of Angelina Jolie if she was only a mile down the road, but not for long!

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

A couple of suggestions:

First of all, cut back a bit on the shooting. Maybe buy a flat or two of non-premium ammo and shoot a bit of practice or, as a friend of mine did a year or two ago, just shoot one registered event per week at 100 rounds (4 boxes).

Or, reload a bit less and shoot the reloads as above.

As to burn out, in the summer here at the Silver Dollar, there's not that many folks on, for example, Thursdays and Fridays, to shoot trap with. So, I am shooting a bit of skeet. Yeah, I said it-skeet!

I don't shoot it nearly as well as trap and I am determined that, this summer, I am going to figure it out so, when I do shoot it, I shoot it "fairly" well. I can usually shoot a 20-21, often get 22 or 23, rarely a 24 or 25. I am a bit competitive (or, perhaps, overly so), so I want to work up to 23-25 most every round. I only shoot the game in the summer, so that probably hurts my game.

It takes longer to shoot a round of skeet than trap and, here (YMMV) there's a number of full time residents who shoot that game, so I usually have someone to shoot with on the non-busy days.

I shoot a little bit of 5 stand, too, but it is even more expensive, if you are conscious of the cost, than trap. Sporting Clays-two clubs close to me, is also more expensive.

Bottom line-don't give up.

Bob

Bob

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Step back, lay off for awhile & see if you miss it.......you may find that you just need a break from shooting. Do what you really want to do, after all it's just a sport like any other, if you aren't enjoying it find something else.

Good Luck to you!

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

lots of 24s;

You sound tired, pretty fatigued. When you feel that way, nothing can get you going or motivated. You just want to vegetate. I know. I bust my butt all week (grateful for the job), and it is really hard to get up at 6am on Saturday and drive 1.5 to 2 hours to shoot in a registered event. I do it some, but not as much as before.

Lay off, rest up, and you'll come back to it.

bluedsteel

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A 12 pack of Bush light is 12.99 in Ohio, x 7 = $90.93. Drink less and shoot more.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wow, Michigan's full of people just looking for a job, part-time, full time, whatever. And, you come on here complaining about too much overtime, long hours, etc...

Well, gee, sounds like YOUR the rich guy...

back to reloading...

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Yeah, the things we complain about. I am so angry that my small collection of trapguns is not appreciating as quickly as I suspected. I also retired at 90% of my salary and am damn angry that I didn't get the usual COLA raise last fall. Also, some people have bugged me to take on a project or two and work part time. I just don't have the time and they bother me!!

Also, last two times we took a long vacation, both wife and I caught colds. Also, the furniture she bought overseas on the trip will take a month, a whole month to get here.

Yup, I agree, life really sucks. Not to mention that those darn affordable and good resturants have specials like a steak dinner complete for $10.00 on certain nights. I mean how is a retired person to keep the waistline intact.

It just ain't fair. Believe me.

13. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Sounds like you'll be shooting till you're out of reloading supplies. Here are some ideas to spend your time after you're out:

-- donate your used SGs to a local Boy Scout troop, the nearby 4 H, or an Izaak Walton League. It will be a tax write off.

-- donate the relaoding equipment too though the above may not take used reloading equipment. Perhaps your local shooting club, or sell them for cheap here...I'm sure some folks will be appreciative.

-- take up golf but you wont save any $$ there cause the green fees get to you quickly too

-- join a men's book club (reading club, duh!)

-- take up archery. After the $1000 bow, $1000 add-ons, and $400 for 1 dz arrows, you'll be ready to shoot like a pro till you need another dz X10s.

-- become a day trader. Use only the overtime money you earn.

-- start biking. After the $2000 bike and the $1000 add-ons and skin tight outfits, you can ride the countryside. This is actually a healthy lifestyle and you will live longer if you dont get run over...

Good luck with your next hoby/sport!

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "The thrill is gone."

I thought this thread was going to be a confession by Trappy that Obama just ain't cutting it for him anymore.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brian- Your thoughts on what this thread was about were much more civil than mine. I do not want to degrade myself and explain what I was thinking, but when I was a Freshman in High School I sure thought dating an older girl would be great.

Pat Ireland

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Trap shooting, buy or reload shells, load car, drive to club, talk to any where from 2 to 15 + other trapshooters, shoot, talk some more, shoot some more, go home and clean gun, maybe reload some more or buy new shells.

Fishing, get lic, hook up the boat, pay fee's on boat in some area's, gas boat or charge batteries, but up with the gamewarden, fish, put boat back on the trailer, clean your boat, clean fish, put up with the wife saying you smell like a fish, freeze fish, clean up area that you cleaned fish.

Sounds to me if you went trapshooting you wouldn't be so tired. wish I was 1/2 a mile from the trap field.

Oh by the way this is a good fishing thread.

17. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

For we all have burdens to bear! I feel for you but just can't reach you. Your cry falls on deaf ears. If you have your health, you have it all. Jimmy Borum

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Let's see........I've been trapshooting for 35 years or longer, and I still get a thrill when I do it.

I don't shoot as good as I used to, and that bothers me a little, but I'm still going to try............till I die!

And when I can't do it anymore, then you might as well bury me.

But to each his own.

Good luck to you all!

Hauxfan!

19. wproct

wproct Member

lot's of 24s, do not sell your favorite trap gun. I shot trap regularly for about 20 years, all I thought about as far as my own recreation. Then, just about the time the kids were grown, I sold my favorite trap gun and bought a Harley and a place in the country. Didn't shoot another round of trap for almost 18 years. Just lost interest. All of a sudden this year it hit me again. Wish I still had my old Beretta 682, but bought a nice BT99 and plan to shoot practice at the gun club every Saturday that I can. I will not shoot registered targets and will not worry too much about my scores, but will enjoy the sport and the friendship with other shooters. Strange how time changes things.

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

lotsof 24's, Can be tough shooting after working long days. That said be thankful for your overtime hrs there are many that are unemployed. They can't afford to shoot! As for registerd targets, do what I do shoot for fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.