1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Things We See While Shooting Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OGC Director, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I have seen deer, groundhogs and others small animals, on the trap fields while shooting (not to mention the cute girl going out to load the house on the adjacent field) but a redtail hawk today took the cake. I was shooting in an ATA shoot today at St Joe Valley CC and a redtail hawk was trying to catch one of the ducks behind the trapfields during the 16's and hcp events. I know you are supposed to be focused 100% on breaking targets but this hawk put on a real show (maybe thats why I missed a couple of singles). He would dive on the ducks then fly around for another pass and try again. I think he left hungry but it wasn't from the lack of trying.

Has anyone else seen stuff like this while shooting? Or is your focus a lot better than mine?

Rich in Indiana

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

At the Montana State Shoot in '92, there was a gopher hole right in front of post 3 on trap 7 or 8 and the gopher was goin' about it's business all week while all that lead was flyin' overhead...it didn't bother the shooters and visa versa....

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

In one day at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club last year we saw Turkeys, Coyotes, Groundhogs, Deer and a B-17 on approach. Great place to shoot and fantastic people working the shoots.

--- Chip King ---

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

At the Vauxhall (Alberta) Trap Club a seagull swooped in to get a mouse and had the bad luck to get between the shooter and the target...POOF!!

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

There is a pond on the right of one trap and a Osprey was diving in and catching fish while we were shooting. Have seen plenty of deer, turkey, ducks,
    geese and one peacock with tail feathers spread out.

Bill

6. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

At Oxford Gun Club we have a pair of Killdeer (I think that's how it's spelled) that nest in the broken targets at the back of the trapfields. They fly back and forth and in and out of the trapfields during the shoots. How they don't get shot, I'll never know. They usually raise 3 or 4 chicks each year.

Rich in Indiana

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Ducks, geese, wood cock, doves, deer, fawns, turkey, cooper hawk, red tail hawk, red shoulder hawk, bats, groundhog, lizards, snakes, planes, hotair balloon, helercopter, all types of birds,

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

OGC Director,

I am unsure if that is how you spell it also, but here in Kentucky they are in abundance. Many of them have flown into my shot path while shooting targets, so there are a few less! They really bother my concentration while shooting.

9. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Camp Douglas, Wisconsin is a mile or two off the end of the runway of a Air National Guard base. Several weeks ago a KC-135 air refueling tanker took off while we were shooting. I looked to my right and about 500-1000 feet up is the big bird coming over the trees. Last Sunday as my 16 year old was ready to call for his bird an F-16 did a straight up high performance climb out. Everything stopped and all eyes went skyward. You should have seen the birds coming out of the trap house triggered by the noise until the puller shut it off.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

At several clubs I have seen something that deserves shooters attention. Fire Ant mounds at the edge of the 27 yard line. An attack by Fire Ants does not constitute a failure to fire. Also, last year a Yellow Jacket nest in the ground just beside the 10 yard target height post made setting targets tricky. A few years ago I was amused by a Copperhead in one trap house, but others were not.

Pat Ireland

11. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I also notice that a lot of the gun clubs I have been to in Indiana have railroads close by and a lot of train traffic. Some of them are so close they set off the targets.

Rich in Indiana

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Deer walk the back fence about 70 yards from the shooters almost every afternoon at Chuluota Sportsmen's Club in Florida. They are headed to a neighbor's feeder.

We have Sand Hill Cranes that look for grub in the front yard of the club but they are smart enough not to go to the trap field while we are shooting.

Some ass shot the gopher that had built a home on the rifle range. He was fun to watch.

The other day a fox came out late in the afternoon and laid in the grass about 30 yards from the shooters. He just watched. I swear he grinned when we missed.

Two weeks ago we had a hawk go after the chips of the broken targets. It did not take him long to figure out that was not the best idea. After diving on two or three I think some shot got a little close and he left the area.

It is amazing what animals get accustomed to and take the noise and people in stride. They are only concerned when things are out of place. Out of place is a hunter in full camo, washed in scent free soap and in the woods.

13. Don S

Don S Member

The first year voice calls were introduced at Vandalia, a big jet came in from the South at very low altitude. About 30 traps on the East end all started throwing targets. It took the pullers a while to learn to turn off the voice callers. Scared everyone for a while.

14. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Speaking of things coming in at low altitude. I was at West Chester GC when they stopped the shoot and landed 3 helos on the fields between the trap houses to medivac people from a car crash. Took quite a while to get that shoot going again.

Rich in Indiana

15. high 2

high 2 Member

A good friend passed away and his last request was to have 5 of us to shoot a round of skeet with his casket beside station 8. Talking about hard to focus.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I too saw a Red Tailed Hawk today, maybe that's because I was shooting next to OGC. It was nice to meet him and I trust the merry band of bandits I shoot with didn't throw him off his game.

The strangest was years ago there was a shoot at the Battle Creek gun club, which was on the south edge of the airport. We heard slow propellar aircraft approaching and lo and behold here came a squadron of Japanese Zeros. Seems there was an air show at a neighboring airport and they were using BC as a base. Saw many different aircraft that day.

There was also the time a woman on my squad had a bee go down into her blouse and that got interesting for a few minutes.

Don

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Oh yeah...the old copperhead in the trap house is always a good time!

18. KenC

KenC Member

I've heard of rattlesnakes in the trap houses.

19. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...FXR&G has a really cool bald eagle that fly's around - had a fish in it's mouth yesterday... a small bass I think...

20. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

All the traffic on I-90 passes the line of sight at the Spokane Gun Club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.