1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The SUPREMES on Gun Control...Today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GunDr, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Copy & paste...

WASHINGTON ? (Today) The Supreme Court will discuss gun control today in a private conference that soon could explode publicly.

Behind closed doors, the nine justices will consider taking a case that challenges the District of Columbia's stringent handgun ban. Their ultimate decision will shape how far other cities and states can go with their own gun restrictions.

"If the court decides to take this up, it's very likely it will end up being the most important Second Amendment case in history," said Dennis Henigan, the legal director for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

Henigan predicted "it's more likely than not" that the necessary four justices will vote to consider the case. The court will announce its decision Tuesday, and oral arguments could be heard next year.

Lawyers are swarming.

Texas, Florida and 11 other states weighed in on behalf of gun owners who are challenging D.C.'s strict gun laws. New York and three other states want the gun restrictions upheld. Pediatricians filed a brief supporting the ban. A Northern California gun dealer, Russell Nordyke, filed a brief opposing it.

Last March, a divided appellate court panel sided with the individual-rights interpretation and threw out the D.C. ban.

The ruling clashed with other appellate courts, creating the kind of appellate-circuit split that the Supreme Court likes to resolve. The ruling obviously stung D.C. officials, but it perplexed gun-control advocates.

If D.C. officials tried to salvage their gun-control law by appealing to the Supreme Court ? as they then did ? they could give the court's conservative majority a chance to undermine gun-control laws nationwide."

Any hint coming through as to the political persuasion of the author of this piece? ....."Undermine gun-control laws nationwide." hahahaha!!!

Doug

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Having read the lower courts opinion, it is truly a masterpiece of legal scholarship. The anti-gunners are really sweating this one because the opinion convincingly destroyed prior anti-Second opinion rulings and created a very high bar for any Justice writing to overturn. Thank God and George Bush that we have Roberts and Alito sitting as Justices. They are the type of conservative legal scholars who won't twist the law to fit some nutcase agenda.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Big surprise on NY, with Hitlery and Scummer being there. Loser scumbag liberal pukes.

4. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Watch this decision turn on the meaning of one word - "bear".

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We'll see after this ruling if we're living in "America" or "Amerika".<br>
    <br>

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It will depend on how they view the 2nd Ammendment. Unfortunately some will view it as a "privalege" rather than a RIGHT. It is desturbing that some on here feel the same. The framers intended it to be a God given individual RIGHT! Of course liberals don't see it that way.

7. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

I think Tuesday will be a great day because SCOTUS will take the case.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jimmy Borum expressed my concern clearly. When the Court has used foreign law in the past to support their decision, who knows what will happen with this case. It is amazing how Justices can use the rather simple language in the Constitution to come up with such bizarre positions.

Pat Ireland

9. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

It is alarming to say the least that any SCOTUS justice would use FOREIGN law in judging matters that test AMERICAN constitutionality of any issue, not just the Second Amendment.

10. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Just be thankful that Bush got to appoint the last two Justices instead of Al Gore or Kerry.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Southbend- I am about to conclude that the appointment of Supreme Court Justices may have been the best thing G. Bush did for us. I will also state that I am disappointed that I have reached this conclusion.

Pat Ireland

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Pat,

I am pleased to say that I think Roberts and Alito are the best thing Bush has done. Given the reach of SCOTUS decisions in our everyday lives, and the fact that they are usually 20-30 year tenures, appointing good justices is the single most important thing any President does.

JT

13. incognito

incognito TS Member

tom2k,

Jefferson saw the problem with the Judiciary. He predicted that it would someday be the cause of the failure of our Republic. He hit the nail squarely on the head with this comment:

"It has long, however, been my opinion, and I have never shrunk from its expression...that the germ of dissolution of our federal government is in the constitution of the federal Judiciary;...working like gravity by night and by day, gaining a little today and a little tomorrow, and advancing its noiseless step like a thief, over the field of jurisdiction, until all shall be usurped." --Thomas Jefferson

14. incognito

incognito TS Member

Here's another Jeffereson quote:

"The Constitution...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary which they may twist and shape into any form they please." --Thomas Jefferson

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

According to the news just now we will know at 10am if the court is going to hear the case or not.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.