1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The "straight skinny" on dry firing?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

This topic has probably been worked to death in the past. My searches have come up short. What's the worst that can happen if I dry fire a Remington 1100 without a snap cap in the chamber?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The

Something will break. That is the worse thing that will happen. Having said that, dry fire the thing.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The

I think the "worst" that can happen is, the firing pin will get worn, and after a while will shoot itself out of the bolt, hitting the family cat dead in the ass while ya are dryfiring it. Ya are supposed to aim at light switches and pictures on the wall, not Tron's kittys.

GneJ

4. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

The

They've made a few million of these things, and there's at least that number of rednecks like myself who dry fire them. I ain't yet heard of a dry-firing problem in a 1100.

You could be the exception. Then, you'd have to buy a pin from Brownell's for a couple of bucks and feel all accomplished and have stories to tell by fixing your gun.

As a bonus, changing a firing pin lets you call yourself an "armorer."

5. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

The

I have been told by a couple gunsmiths that it does no damage to dry fire! This said I still have a hard time doing it. I have seen at least 3 or 4 Good gunsmith and knowagable gun people do it when I was looking to sell or buy, or checking for problems. Just a couple months ago phillip dry fired my K80 and model 12, I mentioned I was always told not to dry fire and his statment was it dosn't hurt anything. I too would like to know the whole truth.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The

If by dry firing you mean occaisional like after you clean and reassemble the gun then there probably won't be any issues. On the otherhand if you are one of those that finds some benefit to aiming the gun a some spot on the wall and dropping the hammer on an empty chamber a few hundred times each night then you are probably going to break the firing pin. If that should happen. replacing the pin is cheap and easy.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The

My take is rifles can be dry fired, shotguns ar iffy.

My Dad dry fired a single shot he had just bought me years ago and the pin broke. This was the day before opening. I was 12and had to wait a week to go hunting with my own gun for the first time. So I usually don't dry fire shotguns. My 1100's are the exception.

HM

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The

Why dry fire an 1100? 1100 hammer springs are cheaper than firing pins, and easier to replace.

9. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

The

I've fired with snap caps, empty hulls and dry-fired. I don't believe it will hurt a shotgun 1100 or otherwise if you don't do it constantly. Most gunsmiths I've talked to have said it won't hurt. I still use snap caps whenever handy but on my own shotguns I will dry-fire sometimes after cleaning just to relax the springs. I never take chances with someone else's gun though. I respect other's property (you know, Murphy's Law).

Mark

10. beaker100

beaker100 Member

The

i agree with phillip. with the exception of superpoised brownings, reminton 3200, and rimfires. all other guns i do not worry about dry firing. doug hubbart gunsmith.

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

The

Dry firing my Browning gave me lumbago.

12. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

The

Don't know about 1100s but I've dry fired my 870s about a zillion times and haven't hurt anything. BTW shut up MRS keet. You are a useless liberal piece of skin.

I've been waiting so long to say that....OK I feel better now.

Steve

13. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

The

Doug, Just wondering why not certain browings and 3200's?

14. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

The

heck, why take a chance. Old shell, take out the primer, fill with high grade of silicon let it dry for a couple of days, and hone smooth with a really sharp pocket knife. Done deal.

dennis

15. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The

The hammer does not even hit the firing pin in a 3200 if there is no shell in the chamber so I see no reason to believe it will be damaged by dry firing.

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The

Take gun. Drop in "snap cap". Point at club house. Pull trigger. Hear gun go boom. Look at hole in side of club house and say, "Duh?, I thought that was a snap cap."

There is a guy that posts here from time to time that tells of sitting on the other side of a club house wall when it was shot. Maybe he'll make a post.

I guess I'll hear all the egomaniacs say "Only a idiot would to that." People are killed everyday by egomaniacs that think they are never idiots.

17. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The

Any gun that uses hammer type ejectors should not be dry fired, because the ejector or the ejector hammer is more likely to break (upon opening the gun) without an empty in the chamber. Lots of Franchi 2000 series owners looking for these parts. It's also tough on some designs of firing pins, hammers, etc.

Cheaper 22 rimfires will peen the chamber if dry fired.

Snap caps were invented a long time ago - for good reason. GAP

18. beaker100

beaker100 Member

The

hi spacegun, the reason i do not dryfire browning superpoised is that the paperwork that comes with the gun states do not dryfire. this is the case with the older guns. i have not seen owner manuals on current superpoised.

the reason i do not dry fire 3200's is most all of the guns are at least 20-30 years old and can have firing pin holes in the breech face that will keep the fp in the forward position (hanging up protruding from the breech face) and make the fp drag on the bbls when the gun is opened. if the fp holes in the breech face are rough/ misshapen the reciever might not be able to retract the fp when the gun is opened. ( when the top lever is moved to the right the the internal mechinism is suppost to retract the fp).

these are the reasons i do not dry fire these guns. this is my opinion. hope this helps. doug hubbart gunsmith

19. psfive

psfive Member

The

The chamber IS empty and I know it IS but it still bothers me to drop hammer on a known empty chamber. Somewhere in the back of my mind I hear what if. It just bothers me. A Snap cap would make me feel no different, maybe worse. Paul in Nebraska.

20. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

The

Something I always wondered an empty shell. the primer has already be hit so does this really help or just make us feel good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you dry fire a 1100 shotgun

dry fire remington 870

dry fire remington 870 shotgun

dry fire single shot shotgun

dry fire versa max

dry firing a remington 514

ok to dry fire remington 1100

snap caps for remington 1100