1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The State with the lowest taxes.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

According to experts Oklahoma has the lowest overall taxes of any state. How is the shooting there? Are there a lot of clubs per-capita? I might retire there.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Oregon has no sales tax.<br>
    <br>
    Unfortunately, our other taxes make up for it.

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I was told that New Jersey is one of the lowest taxed and has the lowest insurance rates in the US ?????

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Just remember you get for what you pay for---retired to Fl in 95 ---bailed out no income tax---it attracts lots of people looking for the cheap retirement & you pay the price one way or another---lousiest school system--high crime--overcrowding---you get what you pay for---NC is a good compromise---Phil

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I didn't like what I saw of Oklahoma, but to be fair I think there have to be nice places there. All I did was drive across the state and spend the night in Okla. City.

Northeast corner around Tulsa mad better terrain, may be nice.

HM

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

New Hampshire has no sales tax and no personal income tax. They do tax interest and dividends at 5%. I would assume that property taxes and corporate taxes MUST be high. Looks tempting.

Bob

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

in NH the Real Estate tax is very high, higher than Massachusetts if you can believe it.....and they fee and fine you to death.....some sort of income or sales tax cannot be too far off for NH

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Don't even think about Maryland. The Free State is a misnomer!

9. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

If you want to get an education on taxes come to New York State.They tax everything you can imagine and then once they run out of things to tax they tax a tax or come up with two different names for the same kind of tax and make you pay both of them.(double taxation) It's getting to the point that everytime you fart they'll tax you on that too.I guess it's a new kind of gas tax.
    I LOVE NEW YORK what a great slogan

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I just love these kinds of arguments.

ALASKA.

Anchorage, specifically...lets see:

No sales tax

No state income tax

Property taxes are reasonable - i pay about $3,500 a year.

hmmm...oh, yeah, on October 4th this year, I'll get about $2,000 as my share of the oil revenue from the state.

My wife will get $2,000 from HER share of the oil revenue.

My 4 year old daughter will get $2,000 from HER share of the oil revenue - by the time she's 18, college will be a non-issue - it will be paid for.

Anyone who posts after this post is merely arguing about who has the SECOND lowest taxes in the nation.

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

What you save in taxes in Oklahoma you get 3 fold in tornados. I thought of retiring there for an INSTANT. Every thing I've researched as far as taxes go for my retirement says Alaska is by far the cheapest. You better like it cold though.

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Alaska may well have the lowest tax structure, but there's a reason people transfering there are paid a cost of living bonus. The scenery and hunting/fishing are un-surpassed, but so are the temperature extremes. Having been born and living the first 27 years of my life in Oklahoma I find little there to draw me back, however, they do know how to deal with illegal aliens. There is no Utopia!

Buz

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm glad all you guys believe that...Anchorage is SUPRISINGLY TEMPERATE. "usually" (sure it gets colder) in the single digits in the winter...never above 85 in the summer.

Cost of living? Gas today is $3.33. Milk is $3.50 a gallon. Ribeye steaks (choice, not select)are $5.89/lb at the costco. Pennzoil is .89/quart. Coke is $7 per case of 24 cans. Fountain cokes at the gas station are a buck - up to 44 ounces. Burger is less than $2 a pound. I can get 6lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for about $13. Bananas are 99 cents/lb. Movies are $9 during prime times, $6.50 for matinees.

be interested to know how that compares to everyone else....

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I hope this comes out ok...

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    Avg. High 21° 25° 34° 42° 54° 61° 65° 64° 55° 40° 27° 22°
    Avg. Low 8° 11° 18° 28° 38° 47° 51° 48° 41° 28° 15° 10°
    Mean 15° 18° 26° 36° 47° 54° 58° 56° 48° 35° 21° 16°
    Avg. Precip. 0.8 in 0.8 in 0.7 in 0.7 in 0.7 in 1.1 in 1.7 in 2.4 in 2.7 in 2.0 in 1.1 in 1.1 in

but you can clearly see that its not a frozen wasteland...

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Just information - the annual average temp in Anchorage is 35.9 degrees, the warmest month is July when the average temp climbs all the way to 58.4 degrees. There are 239 cloudy days per year in Anchorage. and then of course there are days when it is always dark. Oh - and they get about 70 inches of snow per year.

Proximity to volcanoes and dangers from earthquakes are quite real. dogs who are being walked by thier owners have been killed by wolves in the Anchorage area.

Crime - Anchorage has more than other places in the US. Anchorage's annual rate of forcible rapes is over twice as high as for the U.S. as a whole.

Just factual information.

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

It sure as hell ain't ky. I don't think tenn. has a state income tax but sales tax is high.

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Just "mostly" factual information, Gary. I suppose you can twist it any way you want to...but:

Yes, I suppose our 'average' temp is probably close to 36. but that's like saying Pheonix is always hot since their average temp is whatever it is....surely you have to recognize there are very nice days in both places.

239 cloudy days? Wow. 136 sunny days is all we get? maybe...but we're on our 3rd straight day here in Anchorage. Must be a lucky streak, I guess. And the days last week that were sunny were clearly an aberation.

"always dark"??? ALWAYS dark? Sure, in Barrow, they have 42 days where the sun doesn't come up. but they have a lot of twilight. And not many folks live in Barrow - its 800 miles from Anchorage, by the way. here in Anchorage, on our shortest day will have about 6 hours of 'daylight' - but that ignores large amounts of twilight on each side of the daylight. Anchorage has no "always dark" days.

We do get about 70 inches of snow a year...its great. Plenty of skiing and snowmobiling for everyone. You're right on there. I'll bet the folks in upper NY and Michigan think that a mere 70 inche is not very much....

Yes, we do have earthquakes. Often, even. The nearest volcano is something like 250 miles away...certainly not down the block as you imply. Yes, Anchorage occasionally gets some ash. not often. Not in the 7 years I've lived in Anchorage.

wolves. Ah, yes. we DO have wolves in the Anchorage area. They HAVE killed several dogs this past year. Another good fact. very true. don't forget the bears...three summers ago fish and game shot a nice brown bear 3 blocks over from my house - and I live in the middle of a 900 house subdivision. We also have moose that wander freely through the town. And 45lb king salmon right in the middle of town too. We're right in the middle of a veritable freaking petting zoo here in Anchorage...

Crime. Yep. We got it. Gary's right on the money. There's a lot of reasons for it, too. too many to go into here. but he's right.

so...just mostly factual information.

All you guys stay away. The more of you come on up, the more my oil check gets cut (since you'll get your share) and the more of you I'll have to fish next to. LOL. I'd have some of my retired friends respond to this thread...but they all get together and shoot skeet on Thursday afternoons.

Kolared person...PM me, I can give you the 'factual' information about life and cost of living here if you're interested in retiring. It's a great place to live.

18. otnot

otnot Active Member

Don't let the earthquakes scare you away. We only have a couple a day, in fact as I was reading this thread we had a pretty nice shaker. But other than earthquakes,sunamis,cold weather,mosquitos and tourists it's not a bad place to live. I have been up here 40 years and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. By the way it's sunny today and 45.

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

It IS bloody hot in Pheonix, and they also have a lot of smog.

20. coho

coho Member

I lived in Alaska for 13 years (Juneau, Kenai, Homer and Haines) I now live in Sheridan, wyoming. Except for Juneau, Alaska is much, much cheaper to live in. you can buy a way nicer house in kenai for a lot less than you can here. I can’t even afford a house here let alone the 3000 square foot beauty I owned in kenai. Ive also lived in eastern Oregon and the house I paid 160,000 for there, would be 500,000 plus here so even if the taxes were more you’d be way ahead with the mortgage payment. Id didn’t read this whole thread but weather came up and I’d take a kenai winter over a wyoming one any day. we don’t get any snow here just cold, every place I lived in Alaska we got lots of snow to go play in especially haines. The hunting and fishing are better too and the taxes are cheaper and the overall cost of living is way less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.