1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Snows are Hitting South Dakota

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by littleriver, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleriver

littleriver TS Member

The geese are just starting to hit our part of the state. There are supposed to be about 200,000 around the Watertown area which is about 100 miles SE of us. I called down and GF&P told me there were more like 10,000. I am in the northern part of the state and when it peaks there will be about 1.5 million in our county alone, not just the state. From friends around the country I am hearing the main migration is still in MO, NE and IA. Whether this is correct or not I can't guarantee. That is just what I was told. What I can tell you is the honkers have already been going through and it is normally about a week before the snows are thick once the dark geese go through our area. We have been getting a lot of calls all of a sudden for snow goose hunting. If you are interested in coming please do not wait until the last minute. I have already had to hire three more guides. We run several fields at a time so our people are not so cramped up in the fields and everyone gets better shooting. If you would like to talk with me you can either go to our site or call me at one of the numbers below. Normally we will have a week and a half to two solid weeks of great shooting. Every year is different but that is pretty much the norm. Thanks

605-262-0844
    605-395-7799

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Often their Canada brothers and sisters will take over Eugene, OR. We occasionally have predation shoots to save crops and property. One thing for sure is you don't want to be walking through their area on the park lawn without rubber knee boots.....Bob Dodd

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

For the first time in my 59 years of living in upstate NY I am seeing a tremendous amount of Snow geese. They are all over our area this week along with the Canadians. We are having the same problem as Bob with what we call "resident" geese. The Canadian geese over the last decade seem to not want to fly way north or south and just stay in our area all year long..The golf course owners just love them...ugh. We have early seasons for Canadians now before the migrating birds get here. The Feds and DEC are trying to help us by letting the hunters get out there to thin the resident population..doesn't seem to be working though...I only hope the "Snows" don't decide to stick around, although they are a beautiful bird.

Dave, in Canandaigua Lake, NY

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

We got 4" of the heavy stuff through noon, but it has pretty much melted, and will be gone tomorrow as the high will be in the upper 40's ... in Western SD anyway.

If Watertown is 100 miles southeast of you, then you are 100 northwest which puts you in/around Aberdeen.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.