1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The sky, er I mean lead is falling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta687EELL, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Finally seems that lead and oil are falling in price. Maybe the manipulators are succumbing to the laws of supply and demand?? Bill Malcolm

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Well duh. If there were manipulators the idea is to buy low/sell high, so now would be a good time to sell. Doubtful "manipulators" have been buying in the last year....so how would they have been driving prices up?

And if "manipulators" controlled the prices, why wouldn't they keep them high?

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Of course it is, I just bought 20 bags LOL

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The real story is the last 30 days. Has lost 20% since its high on April 11.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

you probably won't see it in the stores any time soon!!

Like everything else, once someone buys a product at an over inflated price, the price tends to stay UP!

6. Beretta687EELL

Mrskeet410,

The "manipulators" have kept the price up and can't do it any longer.

If you look at this graph, it shows the lead available to the market over the last 5 years. As you will note, the stock pile of lead has been growing steadily for the last couple of years. The stockpile is now 3 times what it was 5 years ago and the price then was around 50 cents a pound. My conclusion is that the market was being manipulated. JMHO Bill Malcolm

7. Cray

Cray Member

Lead Miner:

Terry, so you are the cause of the HIGH lead prices!
    Just kidding!!!!!!! Cray

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Terry, you could predict lead prices will fall dramatically and then sell me 5 tons of clean graphited reclaim for a penny a pound to prove your point.

9. leadvail

leadvail Member

Terry, I will bet you that you set your price by supply and demand, though. Bob

10. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Yeah...nevermind that the dollar is at it's lowest point in the last three years. That has nothing to do with it. It's da' manipulators....

Loosen the tinfoil. Your scores will improve.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you want to manipulate the price of a commodity you have to corner the market. In other words, contral the whole known supply of that item. This is not possible in the case of crude oil, since it comes from way too many sources.

This has only happened a few times in history. You can google Jay Gould.

For history of a failed corner search Nelson Bunker Hunt.

The above website is very interesting.

This leads us to the here and now. If you want to look back, you can see the last leg up in crude prices was when Obama started pounding Libya (oil producer, ya know) with ordinance.

The quick among the futures traders got long positions and the amount of sellers decreased, which resulted in an upward trend, commencing around April 1. If that ain't a smoking gun I don't know what you call it.

If anyone knows a manipulator get me his phone number so I can ride on his coat tails.

HM

12. Beretta687EELL

Gee whiz, I'm sorry. I guess only a select few on this forum are allowed to have an opinion. Next time I will just keep it to myself.

I would like to know why the price has stayed so high for so long when the supply has been so high. Thanks, Bill Malcolm

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Bill - Because buyers and sellers are human....and they are guessing about the future. Human emotions affect our anticipations about the future and the price of futures contracts.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It is a commodity, in a dollar denomination. The dollar is deflating so the price is increasing. It takes more dollars to buy the same amount, if the dollar value is decreased. It is that simple. Look at what the dollar did in correlation to the commodities prices, when lead dropped. If the dollar regains its value to the world currencies, we will again see lower commoditiy prices. With the debt we now have, I do not see this happening until the economy comes around and the government sees more income, from income taxes of more people starting to work again, or possibly put the income taxes back to where they were before the tax cuts, to those who can now afford it. Just until the economy starts rolling again. Then implement the tax cuts to were we now have them. Cut spending, and increase income, just like the businesses had to do during this recession to stay in business. Unfortunately, that means sacrifices from all that can make a difference in a positive direction. That is tough to accept, but it is reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.