1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Secrets of Tebow Hatred, WSJ.com

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mrskeet410, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The Secrets of Tebow Hatred.

By MICHAEL MEDVED

'The NFL is generously stocked with forgiven felons, including millionaire wife beaters and dog killers. So how did a clean-living quarterback with deep commitments to charitable service and miraculous last-minute victories become the most controversial player in the league?

It's easy to see why legions of loyalists lavish love on 24-year-old Tim Tebow, who leads his underdog Denver Broncos in a crucial playoff game against the New England Patriots on Saturday night. Yet other fiercely focused fans feel no hesitation at expressing their contempt and loathing for a remarkable athlete whose behavior on field and off exemplifies the values of hard work, fearlessness and concern for the downtrodden.

Fran Tarkenton on Denver quarterback Tim Tebow and whether God helps teams win.

A popular website called TebowHaters.com serves as a clearinghouse for denunciations, while Jeff Darlington of NFL.com got a big response for a survey on what offended fans most about the Broncos quarterback. An Orlando, Fla., radio station (WJRR) used crude language promoting a public campaign to terminate Mr. Tebow's well-advertised virginity and to break his pledge to save himself for marriage. Bill Maher, acerbic tribune of "Real Time" on HBO, got into the holiday spirit last month by celebrating a Denver loss and tweeting: "Wow. Jesus just f---- #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve!" Novelist and blogger Drew Magary proudly declares on the sports website Deadspin.com: "Not only is it OK to root against Tim Tebow, it's practically your duty as cynical Americans..."'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204409004577156580920359946.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Does God Care Who Wins Football Games? by Fran Tarkenton

On Sunday, when Denver Bronco wide receiver Demaryius Thomas caught a pass from Tim Tebow on the first play of overtime and ran it all the way for a game-winning touchdown, the stadium erupted. At once, people cried that it was a miracle, and Mr. Tebow went down to pray on one knee in his signature pose. Millions of viewers already knew the first words he would say whenever a reporter caught up to him for a postgame interview: "First of all, I want to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!"

Fran Tarkenton on Denver quarterback Tim Tebow and whether God helps teams win.

Tim Tebow is not unique. Even on his own team, there are notably devout players like safety Brian Dawkins. In fact, the NFL has had a number of players who were outspoken in their faith. Think of quarterback Kurt Warner, who famously went from stocking shelves at a grocery store to a pair of league most-valuable-player awards and three Super Bowl appearances. Or Reggie White, one of the greatest defensive linemen of all time, who was also an ordained minister, nicknamed the "Minister of Defense." The list goes on.

Religion certainly played a role in the game when I played. I grew up the son of a Pentecostal Holiness minister—we were charismatic before charismatic was cool. I was in church Wednesday night, Friday night, Sunday morning and Sunday night—every week of my childhood. I was there at the first-ever national camp for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, in Estes Park, Co., in 1956, along with everyone from legendary NFL quarterback Otto Graham to a young Don Meredith (although fellow quarterback Don and I didn't make it to many of the meetings). When I went to the NFL, I needed special dispensation from the church to play on Sundays.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204124204577154601852713394.html

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Who cares?

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Right on...who cares?

blade819

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

mrs keet,

How about coming up with an original thought for once instead of crap you find on the internet? Better yet, just go away.

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

You call the article by Fran Tarkenton crap? What about it was crap?

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

8. 100straight

100straight Member

Whether we recognize it or not God gives every person on this planet the abilities to do certain things. Some people have more abilities than others, but the only thing that really matters is HOW we use those talents. When Tebow acknowledges that God has helped him win a game, I don't believe it is because God cares one way or the other about a football game, but God definitely cares whether we acknowledge Him as the source of our successes. I think most of this turmoil is because people don't understand what it is that Tebow is thanking God for.

Mark.

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Still can't over the fact that people can even for a moment think this god will help win a football game and then blatantly ignore the prayers, pleading and even begging of the parents of a cancer stricken child. Tebow can thank his lord and saviour jesus christ all he wants (odd that I used to see a lot of black boxers do the same thing ) but if the thing exists at all it's blind, cruel and not deserving of praise from man at all. You can get as much support by praying to a redwood tree - all you have to do is believe the tree is helping you.

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Well said 100,

Skeet, the reason that the one's with their face planted on the ground is tolerated and liberals are OK with, They'll cut your heads OFF and

Tebow and those like him, will just pray for you and let God deal with whatever!

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

yacki, that was strange in an incoherent sort of way.

12. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Anyone that puts a person down because of his or her belief has no life of their own, and must do this to make their miserable lives feel better...

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

timberf - Then you should have read the article by Fran Tankenton.

14. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

yakiman needs to read 100straight's post... Mark could not have put it any better...

And as far as cancer stricken children and all the other hate and hurt in this world... there is a reason, there is a purpose, and there is even a book that explains it...

15. timberfaller

Your point? mrs keet?

I read the article and I wasn't commenting to you, FYI, I was referring my comments to the pictures posted by skeet man!

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Yakiman, if you had ever held a child with a 105 temperature going into convulsions and simply prayed for her healing and instantly her fever was gone and the child began to laugh you would better understand Tebow and those of us like him. I don't understand why some are healed and some aren't either but I do know that God has a plan for everyone and it's up to us to make a choice. As for me, I chose God. I was in a motorcyle accident and broke a disc and have never been operated on by man only God. I fell off a ladder last year from over 14 feet and landed on my back on top of the ladder. I had a simple fracture on L2 and never missed a single day of work. I could go on and on but you get my drift. Jackie B.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Moronic. Jesus said to pray in the closet where no one could see, and He condemned those that made loud prayers in the synagogue.

Football stadium is even worse.

HM

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The "God haters" will always Hate Tebow. Jesus said if you follow him you will be hated also! Tim Tebow doesn't raise a big stink about his faith. He doesn't offer loud loisy prayers. He prays quietly and gives God credit period. I never pray for him to win. Doubt if hedoes either.I just pray that God is with him. If he was a muslim or even a devil worshiper, none of these bad mouthers would say a word! God Bless the boy. He isn't ashamed of the Gospel and in this twisted society that takes courage!!!!

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Why is it that Tim Tebow is the person that is talked about all the time when there has been hundereds of thousands of athletes that have done this type of thing before him. Praising God is not new people. Thanking God publicly is not new. Football players take one knee after they score a touchdown, kick a field goal, win a game, etc., all the time. They pound their chest and point to the sky. Why is doubting his abilities on the field, as a quarterback, make that person a God hater? Who said anything about hate? Who said it has anything to do with God? Get over it people! Where are you even coming from comparing God with Muslim reactions. Wow, talk about twisted.

20. timberfaller

I Thes. 5:18 sums up what and why Tebow does what he does.

The world will never understand what it means to be a "Man of Faith", they just know they have to "tear" them down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.