1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Secret of Trapshooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stokinpls, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Hand/eye coordination.

"Beads? We don't need no stinking beads!"

2. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Proper gun fit, seeing the target quickly & precisely, gun should shoot where you see, reliable shells & gun, concentration and deep pockets. Probably left out a few and some points stated above could be disputed. At the very least it's the third post on this thread. Darrell

3. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I'm disappointed- I thought Rollin had written another book.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Shoot just ahead/above the target.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just read the James Russell book. HMB

6. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

the secret is to make the shot meet the clay

Pete

7. puddin

puddin TS Member

If it's a secert how does so many people know it?

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Time and money. Lots of money.

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have been going to my local trap and skeet club now for a few decades. I have seen one generation all die off. I have seen a lot of shooters come and go. Many come in and go crazy with their shooting. You see them every day shooting hundreds of rounds. They burn out (or go broke) and leave. You never see them again. I have never done that. I favor consistency over volume. I would rather shoot 1 or two rounds a week every week than come out and burn a lot of ammo then lay off for a few months and then start again. For a few years now I either win my clubs league or come in second. I am now applying the same philosophy to sporting clays. 1 round per week every week year round. My scores are beginning to skyrocket up. I have noticed something. The best shooters are generally the guys who do the most shooting. There is no shortcut to being good at any sport. You have to have consistent practice. Because I have never burned hundreds of rounds per week I have never burned out. I love shooting as much now as the day I started. Every day I shoot I leave wanting to shoot more. That's what keeps me coming back.

10. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I would not call this a secret,but it took me 6 yrs of trapshooting to figure out.IF YOUR FOREND HAND MOVES YOUR GUN BEFORE YOU SEE THE TARGET CLEARLY,YOU ARE SCREWED.Your eyes go right to the barrel and you end up bead checking on alot of shots(I never realized how much it happens).

joe

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Call for the bird, point the gun, break the bird. Post-2

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Enjoying yourself whenever and wherever you shoot.

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Joe: good point & valuable. I've done that before; i.e., move the fore-end hand before you track the target, and had to re-train myself to not do it. Someone called it the "left hand flinch". Don't really know if it's called that. Thanks, Darrell

14. DBax

DBax TS Member

Expectations , is the biggest thing for me to conquer this year . , just like Ljutic 73 said , enjoy yourself . your expectations will make a huge difference. enjoy that one perfect shot you just made , play it for the game.. scores will come and go , lessen your stress .. Im tryng not to get wrapped up into scores and averages... shooting under 90 in the Hcp. doesnt mean i had a bad day .. powdering the heck out of that hard left ,wow ...I've gotta turn off this computer - get my Browning and get back out there ......Dean

15. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

See the bird-shoot the bird-It's not a secret!!!

Larry

16. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

Smile, laugh, share time with people who are serious but also understand that this game, like so many others, is about improving yourself, your individual abilities and your personal performance. And yes, by all means, hit the bird! BTW--to those who mentioned money--yes, it costs a bit, but not as mush as a (big)boat, believe me!!! HeHe

17. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Got a chuckle reading this. Reminds me of my racing days, "Money = speed. How fast do you want to go?"

18. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The Swing! Swing is King!

LA

19. Ricky B

Ricky B TS Member

+1 for Joe's comment!

20. Juno

Juno TS Member

shoot within yourself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.