1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Second Year

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by docbombay, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

The Second Year

It is official. I now have one year under my belt. And I have to admit, it has been a wild ride with a lot of good and just a fair measure of bad to keep my world in balance.

I started out like a house afire and immediately started breaking twenty-threes, twenty-fours and the occasional twenty-five. I attributed this fast ramp up to my decades of duck hunting. Then just five weeks into this madness I tore my retina and had to undergo surgery. My parting gift was a floater and it was a setback I had to learn to deal with. I also learned that I like shooting further back then I do from the sixteen. And I really like games. Ten Bird, Protection, Killer Dillers, Bushwacker, you name it, I'm in.

I also found out I very much like shooting different venues. Not that I don't like my "home court" of Eastern Hills as it is only three miles from my home. I made three pilgrimages to the Cardinal Center this year for the State Shoot, Classic and a third for grins. Also shot at two other local clubs and all of the Middletown shoots. These trips with my buddies are akin to the "road trips" I used to go on while I was in college, the only difference being there is little to no chance of being incarcerated at the destinations local law enforcement welcome center. Ahhh, the good old days.

Did I mention the money? It seems I have a lot less then when I started this "hobby". Some of it is my fault of course. I really didn't have to buy a Ljutic, Krieghoff and Kolar my first year, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Of course the shells, reloader, components, shooting attire, recoil reducers, higher ribs, shell bags and prescription shooting glasses just added to this cash exodus. This cash flow did not escape my wife's attention and she is now demanding an entire kitchen makeover just so we can keep things "in balance" and perpetuate our loving union.

I have also learned my first year several facts about this "hobby" that you can take to the bank.

One, Trapshooters have opinions on everything, not just shooting. Get more then three together at any one time and you be offered every shooting tip since Dan Orlich went through puberty.

Second, never trust a teenage boy who walks up to the line with a well worn pump gun. You are about to have your ass handed to you.

Third, the Lewis Class is without a doubt the biggest sucker bet you can make.

Forth, I am a sucker and play every Lewis I can.

Fifth, you have a better chance of hitting the lottery then you do the "long bird" at the conclusion of any of the games at any club.

So what is in store for me this second year? Who knows! My wife is out looking at Viking stoves and heirloom jewelry so perhaps I will have to curtail my spending. On second thought I believe I will drop the kids an email telling them not to count on that inheritance as mom is spending it on non-essentials and frivolous items such as high end appliances.

Me, I am more frugal and only spend funds on essentials.

And I believe a K-80 with crown grade would qualifies as "essential".

Doc

2. copper

copper Member

That seems about average I was a duck hunter pheasant hunter and a few other upland birds had same gun for 20 plus years moved got into target shooting and 8 years latter I have had about 16 or more trap,a couple skeet guns a couple reloaders is a sickness . No known cure Dave

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I believe we all can relate to your conclusion and description. I've been trap shooting for 6 years and have fallen in love with this sport like I never felt about any sport that I've been in. When living in Orlando I played golf on an average of about 1 1/2 times per week for about 12 staright years. After trap shooting for 2 years I improved more than I ever did golfing in 30 years. Now golf is an after thought probably because I can't afford it now. :eek:) I shoot the Southern, Dixie and Grand American plus about 5 State Tournaments each year plus 4 or 5 others. About 16,000 singles last year. The amount of excitement and enthusiasim that the sport brings me is only matched by the enjoyment of meeting so many new friends. It's definately number one with me followed by riding the Harley. docbombay, good luch with your new target year!

blade819

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Blade,

I have been trying to figure out how to get to local trap shoots carrying my shotgun on my Harley. Have you tried this? It seems like a nice combination of things I like to do!

JMAC

5. ky4some

ky4some Member

Doc - what a great post! It made me smile. I'm also new to the sport but have not jumped in like you did. Mostly I'm following my son around with the AIM program. Hoping to get more targets this coming year.

Mike Kamer

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Well after 40+ years of trap shooting I guess I've been there & done all that, (actually have a T shirt that says something to that effect) so see what you've got to look forward to. "Lotsa FUN",,,,,, enjoy. Ross Puls

7. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

jmac,

You can strap you case to the luggage rack or sissy bar and put your shells and pouches in to saddle bags... Ask me how I know :)

Oscar

8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

jmac:

I have seen it though not to sure how it's done. Imagination I suppose. if there is a will there's a way.If you figure it out, let me know.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.