1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Salvation Army

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    One of the gun club's that I belong to use to ring the bell for the Salvation Army. The people you see who are ringing the bell are not all staying at the Salvation Army building and or hired by them. A church group, gun club, horse club or any club or group can donate their time to ring the bell. All you have to do is ask to do so.

We did two hour shifts on the day we picked to do so. The day we picked was a Sat. It started from 10:00am to 8:00pm. It was also under a roof so you didn't get wet if it rained. Sorry to say you had to put up with the wind and cold.

You all still have time to ask your local Salvation Army if your group is needed for a day shift. Its a good thing to do for those who need it.
  2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Good for you Auctioneer. My three favorite charities, Salvation Army, Hospice, and Americares. People should check out where their money goes, how much is kept for overhead vs how much goes to their mission.
  3. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Western Washington
    I don't know how much of this is true as I recieved it in an email a few weeks ago. I do know the wages for Salvation Army Officers is very, very low, they do not do what they do for the money.

Subject: Donating

Keep these facts in mind when "donating".

As you open your pockets for yet another natural disaster, keep these facts
    in mind:

Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross... Salary for
    ending 06/30/03 was $651,957 plus expenses. (That's $74.42 an hour For EVERY
    of EVERY day.)

Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base
    salary, plus
    numerous expense benefits. (That's $42.80 an hour for EVERY Hour of EVERY

UNICEF CEO receives $1,200,000 per year plus all expenses and a ROLLS ROYCE
    car where ever he goes and only cents of your dollar goes to the cause.
    (That's $136.98
    an hour for EVERY hour of EVERY day.)

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only
    $13,000 per
    year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.

No further comment necessary. Please share this with everyone you can think
    of, know or meet!
  4. WS

WS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    In 1997 or 1998 when living in Louisville, Kentucky there was a terrible flood of a non-flood plain area, a family whose mother I worked closely with was flooded out of their home. They had a mess to clean up, they had to strip everything out of the house to rebuild. I remember talking to her about the experience and she told me that in the weeks afterward when they had no electricity, etc the only charity that was there in her community providing assistance and daily meals for them was the Salvation Army. No Red Cross, no United Way, no not even FEMA (were they even around then?)! Remember who really helps this holiday season.
  5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Make a Donation

6. KooJo

KooJo Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I always give to the Salvation Army. When I was Drafted into the US Army, before we got on the buses to take us to the Army base. The Salvation Army gave us a bag full of personal stuff (free) that we did not have and would need in basic training. I have never forgot that. I always give to the Salvation Army either through United Way or at Christmas Time. If you need help they are their for you.
    Joe Kuzma Eagle River, Alaska
  7. twotimer

twotimer Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Auctioneer, Our Lions club down here in Port St Joe, does bell ringing along with some of the other civic groups. Very good cause. Mike
  8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My Masonic Lodge does the bell ringing in our area. We do the 2 hr. shifts also, I'm always amazed as to how fast the time goes.

I'm also amazed (and shouldn't be after 35 yrs. in law enforcement) as to how generous and kind most folks are.

The Salvation Army in our area is very active and does alot of good for the less fortunate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.