1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The "run" on reloading components

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The thread about Graf's selling powder with wads was an interesting turn of events. A few months back when it was announced that the powder "fluffer" for Clays had gone down, it might make sense that Clays and International Clays could be hard to find. But it really is curious that ALL powder is just about impossible to find right now. I expanded my search to include PB, Green/Red Dot and Winchester powders. The shelves are completely empty. I would think that Alliant would be taking MAJOR advantage of the Hodgdon slump in production. But that doesn't seem to be the case as Alliant powders are just as hard to find as Hodgdon.

It does seem like pistols are coming back to the shelves. 6 months ago there was not a Glock to be found anywhere. And today you can order them online again, just about any model. Metallic ammo seems to be showing up too. So that gives me hope that better supplies of reloading components might be around the corner soon. At least I sure hope so!!

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The

I still think about 99% of the problem is caused by hoarding, pretty soon they will have all they can handle and the supplies will open back up and I hope the hoarders get stuck with it

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The

When's the last time anyone got stuck with primers, powder or shot? If one manufacturer cannot supply product demand goes up for another manufacturer. Ammo manufacturers also need components for making ammo-no components-no ammo. This cycle will continue with no end in sight until next year!!

4. Avaldes

The

It is just amazing that demand is so high that there is basically no supply. If any manufacturer had a backlog or inventory, they would make a killing in this market. It is curious that they are selling their entire inventory as soon as it comes in.

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The

Have not had any major supply problem in NW Ohio. Certain brands of powder & primers are hard to find,but nothing to keep you from reloading. Sportsman's Den in Shelby,OH ,Fin Fur & Feather in Ashland,OH. AJ & Roger Brenner at the Cardinal Center have all had a fair supply of components. Maybe not the brand you normally use,but good substitutes to keep you reloading. Prices have gone up. Just my experience. I don't know of anyone really hoarding,but??

Clyde

6. tincanman

tincanman Member

The

Look again Clyde. Win 209 primers were gone after the first day of the State shoot and as of last weekend, none on the shelf at Sportsman's Den. Fiocchi primers out of stock. All they had were Federal 209's. Yes, they had some powder but they were out of 8lb Clays and Clay Dot.

We can all keep switching back and forth but the choices are getting more and more slim. We'll see what shows up at the Cardinal shoot.

7. tincanman

tincanman Member

The

Look again Clyde. Win 209 primers were gone after the first day of the State shoot and as of last weekend, none on the shelf at Sportsman's Den. Fiocchi primers out of stock. All they had were Federal 209's. Yes, they had some powder but they were out of 8lb Clays and Clay Dot.

We can all keep switching back and forth but the choices are getting more and more slim. We'll see what shows up at the Cardinal shoot.

8. BPskeeter

BPskeeter Member

The

I work for one of the sporting goods wholesaler's and since this last panic started last fall we have found that even though we are getting supplies to the dealers, they are gone almost immediately. Quantities of supplies that should last a month are sold out in just a day or so.
    The stuff is coming in. Just don't feel like you need to have 15 cases of primers (or .22's, or anything else you can name) in your basement. You didn't before the panic started.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The

BPskeeter, are you telling us your wholesale company supplies all the powder your customers order?? I can't believe that for a second and I can't believe reloaders have hoarded all the powder!! Thats BS, Sportsman's Warehouse is out of powders and has been for quite some time! They happen to order a lot of reloading components too!! Everything is on back order.

HAP

10. Vertas

Vertas TS Member

The

Just bought 8# of Red Dot and AA wads from Recobs not a problem

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

The

It is caused by states that legislate pending background checks for purchases. Everyone in that state tries to stock up before the new rules. It happened in CA and now in NY

Add to that the number of people new to shooting or folks buying cases when they previously bought only one or two boxes at a time

The number of true high volume target shooters is small, while hunters and plinkers are 80 % of the munitions market. It doesn't take much of an uptick in buying by this panicked group to snap up all possible production.

Will it end? yes either with the fall of the NY Reichstag and their ilk or by market demand & supply balance. Stuff is available but in limited supply and and at high prices. It should have been limited in the first place. At some point in the future however, ammo companies are going to crash and may go out of business as their demand will go to zero while these other horded stocks come onto market. That or their sales will be artificially hampered by new rules and regulations.

In either case, it is a self(ish)inflicted fatal wound to our sport.

thoughts?

12. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

The

In January of this year Alliant Powder was 12 million lbs behind. When I asked my guy who works there where it was all goin. "Government" is all he said. I thought it was BS until I heard it from his mouth.

13. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

The

About 99% of the problem is manufacturers and distributers controlling the market. They learned well from Japan in the 80s with electronics.

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

The

And all that stuff too.

15. Pen25

Pen25 Member

The

hrmm let me guess the obama is buying it all and pouring it in michelle's garden? its the horders and flippers. went to a gun show in tulsa 2 weeks ago and they were asking almost 200 bucks for a 8lb of red dot. i can buy it from ricks for 129. no primer problems here. BTW they were still asking 100 bucks for a brick of 22lr. though i can buy it at academy pretty easy. the flippers are trying to stil cash in and minimize the loss

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The

I bought a rifle in the Sparks NV Scheels store yesterday and did some component shopping while there. The stock of loaded ammo was very good except for rimfire (zero). The stock of rifle bullets was good to fair, very little new brass and only a few types of powder. The primer stock was decent but quantity limited.

New gun sales are still very strong but there was a very good inventory to choose from all at fair prices.

So I think the 'crisis' is fading but not over. The true hoarders must be running out of money or realizing they really don't need what they have.

I don't like the idea of limits on ammo or components but I have to hand it to the retailers in my area, they are trying to supply as many customers as possible and none of them have really taken advantage of the shortages by dramatically raising prices. Tough times for all of us powder heads.

17. Catpower

The

Olliedog, what I was talking about is there are people who seem to be making a living buying as much ammo/components and stuff to resell at outrageous prices

They are the ones that will get burnt when the market gets caught up again

Another thing to remember is there is record amounts of new gun owners and they will want to get ammo for the new guns they have bought

JMO, I might be wrong, but I remember going through it before when the first AWB went through

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The

Hoarding is next to impossible unless there's something to hoard. If all the major distributors have no product to ship to dealers what's to hoard. Trust me-it's not there!!

19. Catpower

The

There are people who study the shipping times of the ammo and components and are at the store when they open after the goods have arrived, and buy every damn thing they will sell weather they need or not, then then list it on Gun Broker or some other site and sell it for a pretty good profit, that is hoarding

A few weeks ago I was at the Ganders in Sherman Texas early one morning and they were there scarfing up everything they would sell, they had a limit but they would buy the limit and have friends or family buying the limits too

I got my limit, I was just there to buy some Gamo pellets

20. Avaldes

The

I am still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the supply and demand on reloading components. Factory ammo I can understand, anyone with a pulse can go to Walmart and buy a box of ammo for their grandpa/dad/uncle/aunt/mom/sister's gun. But it takes time, expertise and equipment to reload. I just don't picture that group of people being that large. This would explain the powder companies not being ready for ANY kind of surge in demand. It is a small niche and they know it.

The thought that Alliant and Hodgdon are supplying powder to ATK and Remington seems a little odd too. I would think those large companies are buying direct from the supplier and having powder made to their specs, not boutique canister powder. At least that is the story we have all heard thru the years.