1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Roller Coaster ride of lead cost

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by locdoc, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locdoc

locdoc Member

The 38 cent increase of a few days ago has been wiped out by today's 44 cent drop. So much for the theory of extra battery demand for that new car from India.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

2. ink ball

ink ball Member

I'm not certain that the 38 cent increase was real. When I saw that it took the big jump, I looked at several other web sites (besides Kitco) and could not find another site that corroborated the big price jump that was shown on kitco. In fact, it looked like the price of lead had actually continued to decline during that time period. I think they might have had some sort of hiccup on the kitco site.

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

That hadn't even crossed my mind. What other sites might one look at to make a comparison?

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

4. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I for sure am not the sharpest tool in the shed (boy am I gonna get flamed for that), but I did go back and look at the graphs that have been put up on this site contrasting the volume of lead on the market and the associated price. Back when lead was selling for 1/5th of what it is going for now, there was around 5 times the volume of lead available for sale. Then the availability dropped off and the price rose, eventually hitting a new stability point where the total amount of lead revenue remains the same as when they were mining the heck out it, but now they only have to extract 1/5th the ore..........same revenue, less cost. Looks like somebody just found a way to make the same amount of money come in the door, but with a heck of a lot less labor. All they had to do was restrict the volume, watch the price and as long as the total revenue remained the same or better, just keep turning the crank down until we hit this neat little balance point.

Don't you just love free market systems!!!!!!!

d

5. pdq

pdq Member

Just like OPEC and oil, managing price versus production.

I remember reading an interview many years ago with a Saudi oil minister who defended a recent jump in price saying they had a fixed amount of oil reserves, and it was just a matter of how much they wanted to sell it for.

And, you and I do the same every day, trying to sell our time for as much as we can get for it. There are darn few people who'd cut their price (hourly wage) by half just to make someone else happy.

Pete

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Has anyone thought that maybe Kitco knows how important this issue is to us all and every so often will just all of sudden blip the price up or down so they can watch our reactions?

Kind of like a cat trying to catch a laser pointer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.