1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Right Way to Combat Gun Violence"

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by MTA Tom, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"The Right Way to Combat Gun Violence", Steve Chapman, Chicago Tribune, 2-24-13

"Many liberals think the answer to mass shootings and street crime lies in stricter gun regulation: banning "assault weapons," limiting the capacity of magazines or, in their unrestrained moments, adopting ultra-stringent laws like those in Britain or Australia.

But most of these ideas are irrelevant or impossible. Even if the Second Amendment didn't prevent it, Americans would never stand for a near-total ban on ownership of semiautomatic weapons, a la Australia, or of handguns, as in Britain. You might as well expect Nebraska to build 300 miles of oceanfront beaches.

Outlawing "military-style" guns would be a waste of time, since other weapons of identical capabilities would remain available. A limit on magazine capacity wouldn't impede street thugs, who don't need to fire 30 rounds to accomplish their tasks, or even mass shooters, who typically bring multiple guns or magazines."

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Why don't they just make it a law, that if you commit a crime with a gun its a mandatory 10 year sentence, (or a prison term that would disuade someone from committing a crime with a gun) and enforce it? Would that be too simple?

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They won't enforce the laws that are on the books now do you really think they would enforce any new laws unless they were to disarm legal owners?

4. SeldomShoots

If thats the case Catpower, just make all guns illegal and we'll just have to be criminals for keeping our guns. We may be on to something here.

This country couldn't build enough prisons to house every legal gun owning citizen who held onto their guns in contraction to or violation of a law banning our guns.

They simply could not afford to feed and house all of us. The majority of legal gun owners are probably the ones who are working and paying the taxes. Once "we're" of the street and no longer a threat to society, how long would this country last without its tax revenue? Gang members aren't paying taxes, criminals as we know them aren't paying taxes, illegal immigrants might be paying some taxes if an employer will claim them on its books, welfare recipients aren't paying taxes, retired folks are paying some taxes, but there wouldn't be enough to sustain this country.

If the government actually made it a crime to own a gun legally, we could beat them at their own game, without firing a shot. I could live with 3 squares a day, a cot, free medical and dental care, some T.V. time and time to exercise and not pay taxes. Government may want gun control, but they really don't want the outcome that it could bring.

I still think tougher penalties enforced on those who use a gun committing a crime tacked on consecutively for any sentence that the actual crime carries wouldn't be a bad start if it were enforced.

5. husker

husker Member

Isn't there already a federal law on the books that would provide for mandatory jail time for committing a crime with a firearm? Of course the firearm charge gets plea bargained away for a guilty plea on the other charges. Judges just don't want to be told what to do. And prosecutors like to reduce the cost of their prosecutions. Remember "Operation Crime Strike"? Google it up.

Roger Hudson

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

What would be a good start in the crime control area would be ATTORNEY CONTROL!!!

Getting rid of plea bargaining when a firearm is involved would be a good second idea.

Chuck

7. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I visited Boothill in Tombstone yesterday. The gun control of the era was evident. One poor felon was found guilty of planning a robbery which resulted in a 20 yr. prison sentence. He was not present during the hold up which had resulted in death. This sentence did not go down well as the 4 particapants were hung. The towns people took the planner from jail and hung him from a telegraph pole. The 5 hung never commited another crime.

8. Catpower

L2S, what I was meaning is there are so many laws on the books now they don't enforce

I do believe they should put anybody committing a crime with a gun under the jail, but as stated the plea bargain BS will get a lot of them off with little punishment just to get out early and do it again

9. SeldomShoots

I gathered that Cat and I agree with your statement. But, I wanted to take you thought about "unless they were to disarm legal owners" a step further, if that were to happen, and what our recourse could be, and a possible outcome. Its all hypothetical, but possible.

10. Catpower

That's what I have told a bunch of people, if they come for your guns refuse then they won't have enough jails to put everybody in

But using that logic would also backfire, the way the giverment runs they would let out all the dangerous criminals just to have the room to put the "former law abiding" in there instead

11. SeldomShoots

Yep, another hypotetical possibility, but the criminals still wouldn't pay taxes, so we might get the last laugh.

12. wayno

wayno TS Member

spectating at this place is like being on an acid trip without having to do the acid...

13. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as "Gun Violence". People are violent not guns. If I kill you with a hammer is that "Hammer Violence" or a violent person using a tool? Should the hammer be banned because it is violent?...Bill

14. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Here in Ca the 3 strike law was just over turned by popular vote.The politicians were feeling bad for 2 time losers who were going to prison for 25 years for ringing up number 3 on a simple theft or nonviolent crime.The real reason is there were too many people in prison and with the high standard of living in Ca prisons the state couldn't afford it.

So to recap,in the last election the people voted to raise taxes and let 3 time felons go.Yes here in Ca white is black,black is white,right is wrong,wrong is right.

Within the next 10 to 12 years I am selling everything and getting the hell out.Believe me if I can afford it sooner I'm gone.

Darr

15. SeldomShoots

Wayno, I'm glad I could add to your pyschedelic TS.com experience, if you were thanking me. :)

16. wayno

wayno TS Member

luvs2: good one.

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why don't they just outlaw murder? It's working so well with drugs.

18. spritc

spritc Active Member

Commit a crime with a gun - same gun is used on you in front of your homies - that will stop the violence. Unfortunately the ACLU won't allow it nor would our liberal government. However if enough people take their safety into their own hands and double or triple tap, we wouldn't need to be talking about punishment. I hope violence doesn't come to any of us, but when it does it needs to be handled with extreme prejudice.

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

How about the death penalty for anyone who uses a gun in a crime, in a offensive manner. BAAAMMMM, done! Armed robberies, assaults, shootings, rapists, etc. would all be put to death, if a gun was used to gain what the criminal wanted. All gun related crimes must be tried within two months. Verdicts can only be appealed if substantial evidence is submitted to prove otherwise, within the time frame allowed of course before being put to death. Give them a month to pray something changes.

No prison overcrowding, lower costs, gun crime rates dropping, lower drug related shootings, etc. would be the result.

A great example would be the latest shooting in Las Vegas. They know who is responsible pretty much without a reasonable doubt. That perpetrator now knows he pretty much has about two months before trial. He also knows that he will be dead within a very short time after his trial. What could be a better deterrent then that?

It may even make people think about asking God to save them before committing a gun crime, instead of asking God to save them after the fact. Who knows.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Stl Flynn, I have been advocating that measure for most of my life. The only way you can stop crime is to make the punishment so severe even the dumbest criminal will avoid guns and drugs. But the PC society we live in will never condone the harsh realities of the Old West Law of Isaak Parker or Roy Bean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.