1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The right to bear arms

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am a strong believer in the right to bear arms but maybe I am looking at this the wrong way

Maybe you should not be allowed to own a gun or at least some types of guns unless you have completed your military service obligation successfully?

Ever think of that?

And you dont get the right to vote unless you have completed 8 years- 2 active and 6 oncall of "national service" which can be the peace corps- civilan work corps or the military-

Only military service however would give you the right to bear arms or at least some types of arms

Why is that stupidity? Isnt it just good sense? A couple of other nations require that mandatory service

Why not require service? Because you dont want to serve?

This model is followed in other nations and works

Obviously something isnt working here

It would have screened this kid out- and the controls they put on the storage of fireams would have prevented him from getting to one

So what is wrong with this concept other than you dont like it personally?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Seems the killing spree by a military person not that long aago slipped your mind! That would put a dent in your theory about military service and that helpind weed out people who should and maybe shouldnt own firearms.

3. g7777777

Bruce you are wrong-

he wouldnt be given the right to bear arms(as a civilian) in the US because he did not complete his military service successfully.

Remember I said people would be weeded out- hopefully most before that point.

Then strict standards for storage of firearms so that those that do not have the right to AR-15 type weapons maybe or maybe any firearm cant get to them

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Well, it worked in Robert A. Heinlein's "Starship Troopers."

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bruce Specht
    "Seems the killing spree by a military person not that long aago slipped your mind! That would put a dent in your theory about military service and that helpind weed out people who should and maybe shouldnt own firearms."

Bruce, are you talking about Ft. Hood and the Islamic jerk still awaiting trial?

Genes' theory does work in Israel and I beleive in Switzerland also. Doesn't sound bad. Mandatory srvice to your country for all. Rich or not no exemtions.
    Bulge.

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Apparently they didn't teach constitutional law in Gene's law school. If laws could be pass limiting gun ownership to those who have completed some sort of military service then it would be easy to pass laws limiting gun ownership only to those 80 and over, only those who have completed law school, only those who graduated from medical school, only those who live in Iowa. None of these are any dumber than Eugene's brilliant plan.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

John, if all served it would work. Bulge.

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Hey Gene,

I bet Timothy McVeigh and maybe Lee Harvey Oswald would agree with you. (They'd probably think you're a brilliant Constitutional Scholar, too). But, I'm not sure the Grandmas who worked in the factories during WW2 would agree they should be denied the ability to defend themselves.

What does this have to do with solving school shootings? As usual, Gene's not really trying to solve anything...he just wants to use a national crisis to impose his beliefs on everyone else. Not that much different from Pelosi, really.

The Military doesn't weed out all wackos...and all trustworthy people don't join the Military.

Bzzzt...try again.

9. claydust0069

claydust0069 Member

The problem in this nation when it comes to things like this is not the Constitution or the lack of military service or so-called assault weapons. Every single one of these has a common denominator and that is mental illness. We have to recognize that mental illness cannot be treated like any other illness. Some kinds of mental illness do not impair a person's ability to deal with reality or understand right and wrong. However, some do. We have to make doctors, lawyers, judges and law enforcement criminally and civilly liable when they fail to enforce things such as reporting people who have some forms of mental illness. Another factor in this case is that the mother was a gun enthusiast but being a mother compromised her judgment. She should have secured her firearms in such a manner so that her sick son could not get them. No one in my household can get into my gun safe except me. Not even my wife. She has access to a firearm for self-defense but so far as getting any others...they will have to deal with getting them open when I am dead and gone. We need to recognize that drastic steps have to be taken in regards to people with certain kinds of mental illness because they are a danger to themselves and to others. I am sorry if people think that it harsh but my wife and I both work in career fields where we have to deal with these illnesses on a regular basis and that is the simple reality. They have to be treated differently or these things are going to continue to happen. I used to be nmore of a liberal on this issue but I have witnessed too many things in terms of this to believe otherwise. Another thing that does not get mentioned as much as it should but that certainly applies to this is the casual acceptance of media violence in our society. Both in movies and games. We have seen a corresponding rise in these types of violent behaviors as we have watched the accepted level of graphic violence increase in movies and games. Face it...we are a nation that immerses itself in violence online, on the computer, on the tv and at the movies. History has proven that desensitization is a real phenomenon. You combine that with frontal lobe physiology of young people and you are asking for trouble. Guns are the tools employed by people who wish to do violence on a massive scale. But evil is evil. On the same day as CT some guy in China slashed dozens of young people with a knife in an act of mass violence.

10. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I think the biggest problem is the safe storage. If this kid didn't have access to his moms legally possessed guns this would not have happened.

If it was just more difficult to handle these guns it would prevent this type of action.

Stuff like leaving guns in your car, having one beside the door etc. Its not 1950 anymore, these kids are whacko and we need to adjust to that.

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Will serving in Obamas Fema Youth Corp count??

http://www.teapartytribune.com/2012/11/15/homeland-security-graduates-first-corps-of-obamas-brown-shirts-homeland-youth/

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Half of you guys on this forum need to get yourselves checked into some type of adult care facility.

Mandatory military service to vote or own a firearm. you're crazy. So you want the government to mandate everyone serve them?

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Rights that do not apply equally are not rights.

Did you flunk civics class?

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anyone who thinks restricting gun ownership will stop these tragedies needs to take a better look at history. The deadliest mass murder in school history was in Bath, Michigan in 1927 and no gun was used, not a shot fired and no video games to blame. School board treasurer upset about a property tax levied to build a new school. Beat his wife to death at home and set off bombs in the school and his car.<br>
    <br>

Or how about the Happy Land Social Club arson in New York in 1990 that killed 87 people. Guy had a fight with his girlfriend who worked there and the bouncer threw him out. He found a plastic gas container on the ground and filled it up at a gas station. Two matches later he set the staircase entry on fire. <br>
    <br>

Desperate times call for desperate measures to these people. Sick, mental, whatever you want to call it they can find a way to wreak havoc on the innocent.<br>
    <br>

Maybe if they were kept anonymous by the media, like they do streakers at sporting events, it would eliminate some of them from seeking notoriety. The two cases above don't seem to have anything to do with notoriety though.<br>
    <br>

The news media keeps calling these latest tragedies the worst in history, etc. it seems to bang the drum for gun control, but I don't think gun control really has anything to do with it. Harv Shell

15. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

RobertT- I just read your link.

Based on this, Can I ask, what percentage of the American population, believes that they will seriously be machine gunned down from one of the armoured vehicles or soldiers as mentioned in the article, set up by the Obama administration?

16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Claydust- And just who is it that the doctors, lawyers, judges and law enforcement are suppose to report to that they know someone is mentally ill?
    It use to be doctors, lawyers, judges and law enforcementthat put the mentally ill in institutions. If you want to hold someone civilly or criminally responsible, start w/ congress and the state legislators. They are the ones that closed up the mental institutions so the doctors, lawyers, judges and law enforcement could no longer get the mentally ill off the street until they were fit to be back out on the street.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Mental illness is the issue, but no one wants to face the fact or the cost of incarcerating these wacko's from the time there children until there dead of old age. Where will we put them? There are very few mental institutions around any longer to take the multitudes of these nut jobs. When I was in college I majored in Special Education, and then circa 1970 it was estimated that 15+ percent of the population had some type of mental illness. And with children it's not difficult to ascertain if they have psychological problems. There are many keys to focus in on. But, what do you do with them once the problem is discovered. Some issues can't be treated.

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

So Gene........A responsible, god fearing American citizen who couldn't pass the physical couldn't own a gun by your logic......LOL Of course the Constitution only applies to Lawyers and other thieves right?

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Here in Idaho when you go to get a CC permit, you have to under go a class with firearms training first ( if you pass the background check) However if you can show that you were honorably discharged from the military or are active, you go right through ( after a background check of course)

20. g7777777

Obviously it would require a constitutional amendment .

But why shouldnt service be required?

Just because you were a product of sperm and an egg gestated over American soil- why should that give you rights? Why does that make you entitled? No I think Mandatory Service to the nation is way overdue

This blantant sense of entitlement is what causes most of the wrongs in our society today and differentiates us from the America that our parents grew up in.

Obviously this isnt working- and other countries that require mandatory service dont have the problems we have

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.