1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The rifle your dad gave to you...............

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by big joe, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

In 1963 I was 9 years old. My father was an officer on the Los Angeles Police Dept. One Saturday we got in the car for a trip for a burger at Mc Donalds (I thought)....Instead we ended up at the Police range. We went inside and the range master handed A Remington 572 .22 LR pump to my dad who handed it to me, as he had purchased it thru the range . I will never forget the feeling of pure joy of that moment. The range was closed but the Range Master who was my dads buddy happened to have one 22 shell in his pocket that we shot. On the way home I held that empty .22 case. I still have that rifle and it looks just as new today as it did 45 years ago. Joe

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Great story, Joe.

I gave each of my sons a .22 rifle.

My Dad let me use his guns, but it was understood that we get our guns the same way he got his. By working and paying for them.

Got my first one when I was 15 years old.

I hope I haven't got my last one just yet.......lol

Hauxfan!

3. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I bought my marlin/glennfield .22 when I was 12,or 13 also.nothing given!paid around $65 for it ,latter put a $25 used bushnell scope on it and to this day it will shoot the lid off a 2Ltr bottle @75 yds.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't have mine any more............My son gave it to my grandson.

Single shot Winchester M67, stock cut for a 10 year old.

Hope it travels on in the same way.

HM

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

big joe:

I had no ideal there was Mc Donalds back in 63 of course back then I was only 5 years old and I know we never heard of a Mickey D's in the western KY area.

Anyway all I have to say is my first rifle was a nylon 66 remington then a remington 552 automatic of course, I had to pay for all of mine just like Hauxfan! ok the last 22 rifle I bought was the same as yours it was a 572 Pump rifle and im sure I still got the info when I bought it but it is a CHERRY because most of the time it has spent it's life in the original green box from Remington.

Foggy

6. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

At the age of 12, dad gave me a marlin mod.80dl, 22, that had been my grandfathers, still have it.

Tom R.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My dad gave me his Savage/Stevens Model 84C bolt action rifle when I was 9 or 10 years old. When we went to shoot it he could not find the clip or the ammunition. Mom had hidden them in a kitchen cabinet. I upgraded it by adding a receiver sight and later a Weaver scope. Don't have the same rifle any more but I bought one just like it a few years ago.

Jim Skeel

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Anschutz single shot with iron sights and no way to add a scope. A real light small gun made for a youngster. I have never seen another one like it.

Two years later, I talked him into a low end Anschtuz repeater. Added a Weaver V7. The stock cracked between the trigger and Mag openings and at 14 I glass bedded it. That baby can shoot.

Still have both guns. Lot's of memories. My Dad passed almost 30 years ago and I still miss him badly.

Don

9. redix

redix TS Member

When I turned 13 in 1958, my Dad's birthday present to me was a .22 cal semi-auto Winchester 77 with a tubular magazine & a 4X Weaver scope. It's still in great condition & I cherish the memories it brought me. Every summer holiday, he would give me a brick of Super X which I would use to shoot crows & wild doves. My Dad died in a plane crash at 46 years old in 1967 & I still miss him.

10. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

First gun - not a rifle - but a shotgun. A Dakin single shot 20 ga with a "trigger" in front of the trigger guard to break open the gun. Dad said it cost him $39. I shot LOTS of pheasant, sharptails and a few ducks in North Dakota. I broke the stock three times and fixed it twice and am still looking for a stock for it. Great memories.

Eric

11. trap906

trap906 Member

my dad bought me a brand new Remington 514 single shot when I was 12. he really enjoyed seeing me pop squirrels in the head with that little rifle. still have it, and on a day with good light, can still shoot it well, if I can see the sights ...lol

12. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

Christmas when I was 12...Soon to be 13. Remington 581, left handed bolt action .22

Dad and I went out in the back yard, and he taught me how to shoot it. Then we came inside and he taught me how to clean it.

Still have it, and sometimes shoot it in 100 yard sporter matches at my local club. Miserable trigger, but it still shoots !

Bill

13. Old Dr. Bill

Old Dr. Bill TS Member

1932 My father bought home a Springfield .22 single shot. You had to cock the hammer each time. It went to my son on his eighth birthday.

14. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I was about 9 or 10 when my dad let me use his model 63 Winchester. Lived in Texas at the time and took many a jack rabbit with it. Some by hip shooting. He gave it to me a year or 2 later. Later moved to North Dakota and the prarie dog population went down quite a bit. I still have it and will never sell it. Still shoots flawlessly. They do NOT even come close to making guns of that quality anymore. The serial number places my model 63 as 1941.

15. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Like Hauxfan, I had to buy my own. Dad did let me use his single shot 22 untill I could afford my own. Spent half the summer of 68, raking hay for my grandad to pay for it, a winchester lever action 22, $65 if I remember right.
    My dad did finally give me a gun, just last fall, a 16 ga Ithaca sxs, that was origanaly my great grandad's.

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

My father was not a gun person. But he had a .22lr he had taken as payment for a gas bill at his service station in the 1930's-1940's. He gave it to me in 1960 when I was 12 years old. It is a four-digit serial number Model 61 Winchester with an octagon barrel. I shot that rifle a lot and carried it all over the hills behind our house. He told me it was left at his service station to hold until a $15 gas bill was paid by a member of one of the wealthier families in Nashville, TN. They never came back to pay the bill or get the rifle. Thinking about getting it restored.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It was a Daisey Red Ryder given to me on my 10th birthday Sept 11, 1952 & I still have it and the box

18. ive never ran um

ive never ran um TS Member

in 1953 my dad gave me the pride of my life!!!
    he gave me a brand new model 63 winchester auto for my 8th birthday.
    i still have the gun and it is one of the best shooting guns i have ever owned.

lynn

19. 682LINY

682LINY Member

A twist on the story,,,,My Dad was never a gun guy,,,I grew up at race tracks,,,,Both my Dad and uncle were racers,,,,,I was into guns from early on,,,,my best friend down the block was a shooter,,,his father was a range officer for 30 yrs and still shoots,,,,he is 86 yrs old now,,,,,we have been shooting together for over 35 yrs,,,,,WHEN my Dad moved from NY to Tenn,10 years ago He found that the FairField sportsmans club was the social center of the town,,,,so he asked what kind of gun to get,,,,well he now has a mossy 500,,,,dosent everyone,,,,a ruger 22 SAA,,,a ruger P-95 9mm,,,and I have just givin Him my Ruger .357 Blackhawk,,,,he thinks he is just keeping it his safe for when I visit

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Dad never owned a rifle. He used to take me hunting pheasants and grouse with his Winchester 37 in 16 ga....only long gun he ever owned as far as I know. My first gun was a Browning BL-22...purchased new in 1972 for $86.50!...still got it and shoot it...how the hell did they get to be $500+???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.