1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The RCBS Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powertrader, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

Im getting ready to invest in a reloading setup,, Why would I buy something other than the The RCBS Grand?

2. APrice

APrice Active Member

If you don't mind breaking & replacing some plastic parts, the Grand is a good machine. Parts and technical assistance are free from RCBS. I would look for a used one in the $400-$450 range. At new, list price they aren't really a good buy, IMO.

3. warren

warren Member

I've had a Grabber a SL 900 Dillon and now a Grand and I'm not sorry.

warren

4. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

I have had a Grand since they first came out. Once adjusted, it works just fine. I do not have a Spolar; yet, I covet one. IF you can afford a Spolar, you will never consider another loader. IF you can afford it, buy the best and cry once. That said, for the money, the RCBS Grand is a most flexible re-loader. You can even get and adapter so that you can use MEC bushings (readily available and inexpensive.)

Terry Sandlin

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Nice well made machine IMO. Having to hang over the edge of the bench didn't work for my shop, something to plan for.

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo likes his RCBS.....

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mine works flawlessly and makes a great looking reload. I've used it for both papers and plastic hulls, 7/8oz / 1oz / 1 1/8oz loads with no adjustments. It's by far and wide the easiest to use of any I've tried (Mec 9000,Pacific/Hornady 366,RCBS Grand) and has led me to rethink ever buying a SL900. I can reload 400 rounds an hour taking my time and that's plenty fast enough for me.

RCBS customer service is great. Tell them what you need, and it is shipped to your door. No muss, no fuss.

ss

8. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

i want to be able to load 12 and 20's, so thats so far my only pause, i had decided to watch the feedback here before i made my choice.

mike smith

9. 45ACP

45ACP Member

I had and still have a 9000G. Makes good shells, I currently use it to try different loads. The work horse now is my RCBS Grand. It makes factory looking shells that are load consistent. Customer service is fantastic ! Don't worry about breaking plastic parts... they're free if you do. I have not had that problem. Look for a nice used one for around 400 or 450 as APrice stated. Bill

10. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

Over the years I've had most of the loaders. Started with a Pacific 366 (now Hornaday), then all sorts of MECS, PWs, then the Dillon and the RCBS Grand. No Spolar though.

The RCBS service was great, but I did break a lot of the plastic parts. The Grand was well made, but it wasn't as easy to use as the MEC 9000s. I liked the head sizer on the Grand better than the collet sizer on the MECS, but neither is as good as the sizing dies on the PWs. But the PWs had their own problems and were much harder to adjust. I had very bad luck with the Dillon. Awful and poorly designed, though I gather many people get them working just fine. I never could.

In all , I like the MECs best. I need loaders in all four gauges and the Grand is only in 12 and 20. All the machines have their issues, but I've learned to deal with the MECs and the quality of the reloaded shell is excellent. I also like the availability of a adjustable bushing bar for the MEC. Something you can't get for any of the others. Of course, that only matters if you change loads often.

I also like the way the MEC can be mounted in the middle of the bench, not on the edge. One downside to the MEC is that you will break a few parts (definitely the collet sooner or later) and you will have to pay for them.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mike,

You can do both with just one Grand. They make a seperate toolhead and plate that makes changovers very quick and easy.

ss

12. wbill

wbill Member

The only part that I have replaced on my MEC was the index cylinder and the wad guide cup. This press is a 9000h which is about 14 years old and still going strong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

buy a rcbs grand