1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The pros and cons of leading off.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I use to like to lead off, but I'm not really sure I want to anymore. I'm finding it to be somewhat of a distraction and makes it a bit more difficult to read the trap on station 1 and 5.

Any other thoughts??

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You need a bigger boat.

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I have shot leadoff for over 10 years. Do not find a problem with it. Other than occasionally we get a newer person on our squad. For some reason many shooter believe it is the leadoff shooters duty to determine if target are correctly set. It is not the squad leaders responsibility but the responsibility of all on the squad to approve target settings.

The only requirement is the squad leader calls for a look see target. If it is not proper then any shooter can request an other look. The squad leader then will call for an other target. If it also appears to any shooter on the squad the squad leader then can request a reset. Nothing more nothing less. - Jim

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I like the lead off spot, Don't consider it a distraction at all.

jmho, Jim

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Tron, I feel exactly the same as you. I have lead off in most shoots in the past(sorta liked the straight walk to post 5),but have in the last two shoots started on other posts. I have pre squaded for our entire state shoot on post 5. I just find it easier to keep my head in the game if I don't have to worry about signing and getting the score sheet to the next trap and it also gives me a little extra look at the targets. We'll see what happens. Maybe it's old age with me. LOL---Steve

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I like to start on post 5, that way everyone is finished before me and can watch me miss the last shot of 100 straight. Just hope the day comes that this is a reality.

7. Tron

OK, I've been asked to explain about the trap reading on station 1 and 5. Well, in my case, those are the only stations that I bother to read to any degree. I can't read it if I'm the first to call for the bird, now can I? If I get hard left or rights on 2,3 and 4, so what? Not that difficult.

Tron

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is my secound year ATA I lead off at all 3 events, had one complaint? I did not call for another bird after a malfunctioning trap? What ever. I saw a lot of 1st positions open at MA state shoot.

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

American Trap with preassigned squads and posts is a joke.

Time to go random draw.

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

If I'm shooting doubles, I much prefer to be on Station 4 or 5, so I can program my shooting computer using other people's clays.

LA

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tron, what method do you use to read the trap and what kind of traps are in question? I will try to help you in doing so when you leadoff.

On the other note, I leadoff because the different squads I shoot on expect me to and have been doing so since I was 14. They all seem to know that Iam the best that ever was, the best there is and the best there ever will be in that capacity....

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sbray, you're confused. The squad leader assumes exactly as much responsibility as the other four members of the squad. The term "squad leader" is a misnomer. You heard it first on TD.com!!

13. Tron

Pheasantmaster, I only avoid hard left (station 1) and hard right (on 5). If the shooter before me is on station 4 (for example) and has a very hard right, and I bring the gun up real quick (yes, I'm poised) I WILL NOT have a hard right. I will usually have a slight angle, nothing hard (not that any are really that hard, but if it can be avoided, why not?). The type of machine doesn't seem to matter, even Pat traps.

Please feel free to PM me with any thoughts. I don't want the other people on this site knowing our secrets.

14. Tron

You two cut it out, you're making kitty all excited!

Tron

15. oleolliedawg

Sbray, I don't really think Jim is interested in answering your analysis of the duties of "squad leader"-hence, my response!!

16. oleolliedawg

Sbray, after 46 years of active trapshooting I'm more than willing to admit I know little about this sport and will humbly accept your deletion!!

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I hate lead off!! Being left handed I have to turn my back on the squad. I know their screwing off back there because I can't see them. ....

JC

<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

The majority of top shooters like to lead off. I have no preference for which position I am assigned. When I do lead off, I sometimes do not really get my mind into the game before I call for the first bird. I need to learn to take an additional second or so to think about what I am about to do.

Pat Ireland

19. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I like to lead off as I don't have to walk as far! (LOL)

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have been a slacker all of my life and I don't intend to take on any responsibility if I don't have to!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

american trap squad leader responsablitys