1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The problem with snap caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Zoom.Golly, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

The problem with snap caps is they require the trigger to be pulled and the hammer dropped. There is the danger. Those actions should only be taken on the firing line, not in clubhouse, not before the gun is cased, not on the porch, or veranda, or in the parking lot. The use of snap caps encourages those actions at all the wrong places.

I don't use snap caps. I don't think they are needed. But I don't have a problem with the use of snap caps before the gun in placed in the safe, or in the cabinet, closet, under the bed, or wherever the gun is stored at home. I can't understand why the snap cap mafia must snap their caps at the club. No gun will be harmed but leaving the hammers cocked for the small time it takes to reach home. Can't it wait?

And the claims that only idiots would mistake loaded ammo for a snap cap is in itself idiotic. The several threads on the subject give more that adequate documentation that is done. And the world, and the gun clubs, are full of idiots. Every poster on this forum had been idiotic at times. The most dangerous people at the gun clubs are those that think they are never idiots.

2. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I'll change my ways and not release my firing pins on my flourescent orange wooley mop snap caps inside the Club. SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!

Personally ... every Cantebury cord and trap house that has ever been shot at our Club was done by a release trigger shooter. My Point? EVERYTHING we do has it's risks and rewards. We CAN NOT idiot proof everything!

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

"The most dangerous people at the gun clubs are those that think they are never idiots."

Does not only apply at gun clubs. LOL

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

It is not the caps it is the idiot putting a live round in the gun then pulling the trigger PERIOD. Jeff

5. Clay Target SSE

Clay Target SSE Active Member

When I was a kid, over 55 year ago, we were taught over and over and over again: It's the UNLOADED gun that kills.

IMHO: Snap Caps have NO place at any Gun Club any where. They only give a false impression that the gun is unloaded. Too many times that false impression has nearly killed someone.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ban snap caps! For the children! If it saves only one life! This is common sense! We must compromise! No one needs a snap cap! Snap caps have no legitimate sporting use! No one hunts with a snap cap!

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Try something like this instead:

[​IMG]

Credit to Rick in Ohio.

8. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Joe, a simple lead pencil works fine. Place the eraser against the firing pin hole and pull or release trigger!!!!!!!

9. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I put a rubber stopper in the open end of an unloaded shell. When I get home from the gun club, I hold it against the firing pin and drop the hammer.

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Funny, I've never had a snap cap fire. Sounds like a smartass thing to write but if you use, for example, a Packmeyer (probably incorrect spelling) snap cap is semi-tranparent blue; I actually look at it, see the spring inside, then put it in my gun at least 30 minutes after I have put my shells (usually the green, burgundy or red ones) away in my shell bag. I never never ever have the snap cap within 2 feet of my shell bag as the snap cap is kept in my breakdown gun case. This has worked for me over the past 35 years. BT100dc

11. joe kuhn

Hah! A pencil eraser. I love it. I bet this would work too:

[​IMG]

12. SuperXThree

SuperXThree Member

Well considering some snap caps look nothing like a live shell (mine are clear) it is not completely idiotic. There is no mistaking something I can see through as a live shell.

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

If the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction, (The number one rule of every gun safety course...or should be!,) it is a perfectly safe habit. Martinpicker

14. joe kuhn

Martinpicker,

Until something unusual happens, you're distracted and you pull the trigger because you've done it so many times before. Here's an example of something that really did happen:

It's your turn to shoot. The trap machine won't throw a target. Trap help halts the round. Your neighbor says something to you (I added this). You turn around and start walking back to the gun rack and pull the trigger and fire the round into the dirt. You are banned from the club for three months.

This really happened except for my one embellishment to make the point. It's not a safe habit.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If the shmuck ignored the instruction to unload, then pulled the trigger on a live round with his gun closed - he deserved more than 3 mos...

Jay

16. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

What about asking your buddy to use his thumb for your snap cap? BT100dc