1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Problem in Colorado

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by highway, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highway

highway Member

This is my second post of the evening and hope someone will respond to the previous one about reclaimed shot.

I live in Illinois and am really worried about the Colorado thing. You all know that new second amendment attacks are sure to follow. Im going to offer a partial solution that I hope some will like. Remember that everything I say is based on psychiatric evaluation and training:
    Im sure that everyone is familiar with the doctor assistant thing. These people can prescribe meds. and do most everything except send you to the hospital.

What if a similar program was established in the law enforcement area?
    Lets find a group of men and women across the U.S. that are mature enough to make critical decisions (possibly retired) who are willing to take a (ten?) week instructional course in enforcement, undergo psychiatric evaluation, and complete the basis of law enforement training. Lets exclue them from the physical aspects of training and require supervision for a period of thime. This would eliminate all the would-be policemen.
    Upon completion of all this, lets give them a conceald carry permit and let them go about their lives.
    Pay them only a very nominal salary.
    The thought of two or three of these people in any random setting should discourage all but the real crazies from stunts such as this one.
    There really are people in good health and retired who would attempt this program. After all, a good many of us spent many years in the educational process just to do the work we wanted.
    This is just a thought. Plese feel free to criticize, amend or add in any way.
    Roger

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

There are a couple of problems with that plan. Firstly, most states already have ccw laws so there are already alot of armed folks out there in pretty much every setting. They just don't have the training you are talking about but still yet they are out there. Secondly, just like I tell my wife all the time, you just can't use logical thought to try and figure out an illogical, read that as crazy, person. That is why they are crazy, because they don't look at things like you and I do, because they are crazy. John

3. oz

oz Active Member

bcnu you are assuming a lot of things.. remember when you assume you make an ass out of you and me.... ass u me!!!!!

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Senator Feinstein was on the Chris Wallace show today and she said she "has no problem with licensed people buying guns....."

The Second Amendment says that right "shall not be infringed"

Some cities had "Reserve" police units that do the very thing you are asking about. Many of them were put out of existence when the States required "uniform training" for all peace officers within that State.

That burden alone defeats the very idea you offer. Firearms training alone can be a month long, plus monthly or bi-monthly qualification and all kinds of other remedial training requirements from the legal departments prohibits many dedicated people from having the time to meet these requirements.

The cities and states cannot afford the legal ramifications of having armed "part time deputies" without constant supervision.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That plan falls apart by sheer numbers.

In any given major city, how many restaurants, shopping centers, movie theaters, grocery stores, gas stations, etc., are there?

How are you going to cover them all?

The ONLY way you can even come close is with a voluntarily armed citizenry.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Senator Feinstein was on the Chris Wallace show today and she said she "has no problem with licensed people buying guns....."</i>

She's lying.

Feinstein said on CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995: "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it."

7. Rick Barker

Sure she was lying, her lips were moving.

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Oz, I don't guess that I get what you are saying. I don't see as anything that Isaid was really wrong. The sheer number of ccw holders would imply that we are pretty much everywhere at any given time. Now wether or not those folks are actually carrying is another matter. The plan suggested in the first post is just not a reasonable one. John

9. SlowArrow

SlowArrow Member

I believe Aurora passed a special law that says that a private establishment can prohibit carrying weapons in their building, and if you do carried it is not considered simple trespassing (like most places) but rather a much more serious crime that will result in jail time and the loss of your CCW. The theater had such a restriction which is likely why in a state where CCWs are common, no one but the gunman was armed. It is hard to say whether other armed citizens would have made things better, but I'd bet it would have. The theater's Antigun policy helped make this an uncontested killing field.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The shooter's neighbor said she avoided him because he was strange and did strange things. He evn left his door slightly open when he left....on purpose. He was hoping someone would close it and set off the first booby trap.

She saw it, but would not even go near his door.

My question is this: How did this guy get into the theatre caring a rifle and shot gun, dressed in body armor? No one saw him?

Our society needs to pay attention. Instead, we ignore our surroundings because we don't want to get involved, and our legal system allows a law suit for looking at someone wrong.

Don't tell me that people around him weren't suspicious of his actions or mentality.

11. oz

oz Active Member

I wonder if aurora charged the shooter with carrying guns in the theater? I wonder if he will lose his CCW?

12. Rick Barker

It is Colorado State law that you cannot carry a firearm into or on a private business if the property owner posts such a notice on the premises.

Even a pocket knife is "weapon" in Colorado. You need a CCW to carry a "concealed weapon."

Now most business owners I have seen post their signs with specific language using the word "firearms."

Check your local and State laws in regards to what is a "weapon, concealed weapon" and also the language of the CCW laws.

The shooter it is thought to have bought a ticket, went into the theater (in civilian clothes), and sat down in the front row near the exit door.

Some people report a man got up after the movie started and either opened or went out the exit door near the screen that goes to the parking lot.

Again, it is believed it was the shooter that went out this door, propped the door open, put on his armor, grabbed his weapons and went back in and started shooting.

The car belonging to Holmes, was found right out side the exit door with ammo and one gun still in it.

Some people say it was 30 minutes between the time the door was opened the first time and the second time when the shooter entered through that exit door. That would be about enough time to put his gear on and grab his weapons.

Because of the action taking place on the screen at the time of the shooting, some people were slow to react because they thought it was a stunt in play with the movie action.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Bcnu keyed in on the real problem in dealing with insane people - they don't think the way most of us do. They don't have a fear of the consequences for their actions and therefore don't consider the possibility of a few CCW holders as being a deterent to what ever mayhem they are intent on carrying out. The CCW is a last resort defense item - not a preventative measure when it comes to the crazies.

When it comes to establishments that don't allow CCW, it is your choice as to whether you want to go in there unarmed. You do have a choice in that and one of the choices is not to go at all. Of course there a couple other choices but one isn't good and the other is illegal.

14. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

1995? BIA .... move into the twenty first century huh?

blade819

15. porky

porky TS Member

Feinstein/Boxer/Schumer are all big names in the anti-gun movement. They don't want anyone to have any guns so they can make America a great big sweat shop like China. That's why they allow all the immigrants because the immigrants won't know the difference. "Subjects not citizens", that's their motto.

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Blade she's worse now than she was in 95

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.