1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Price of Practice Has Just gone Up.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mixer, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

As of October 1st the price of a 25 target flight will go up from $7.00 to $9.00 at Markham Park in S. Florida. That's about a 28.6% increase. The county that runs the range says revenues are down so they have to increase the price to make up for it, HUH?

Eric

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

$36.00 per hundred. I'm sure the revenues will just skyrocket!

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

And the very last customer will be charged what...? $100,000.00/round?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dang and i thought the WSRC/Sparta was high at $6/round. I better be quiet before they here about that.

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

>>>"As of October 1st the price of a 25 target flight will go up from $7.00 to $9.00 at Markham Park in S. Florida. That's about a 28.6% increase. The county that runs the range says revenues are down so they have to increase the price to make up for it, HUH?"<<<

That's what happens when you have political hacks trying to run a business. They don't have a clue. Or else they are simply trying to shut the range down and this is their way of making sure the range is a money losing proposition which will then justify their attempts to shut it down. Sad. :-(

6. neofight

neofight TS Member

Whoa!! I thought i had it bad at $3.50 per round....yeeeeeeooowww!!!

7. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

Lets how this works out. Full squad shoots..Management takes in 45 bucks..The cost of a case of targets is still under 9 bucks..Club after targets still has 36 bucks 6 bucks for electric and repairs ..They must be making a whole lot of money ..I shoot for $3.25 at one club and $4.00 at another..I can find any good reason to shoot at any club that charges more..It is cheaper to shoot the Grand in Sparta..Are these people on the Gold Standard..There must be a lot of foolish people in Florida to pay these prices..

8. grntitan

The price of $6/round at WSRC/Sparta is during the week when no shoots are taking place. During normal monthly shoots and The Fall Classic and US Open it is $5/round. During the Grand the ATA takes over the WSRC/Sparta facility and they charge us $5/round. In my opinion, $9 is a fast train ticket to closure. I sure hope not though for the local shooters sakes.----Matt

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Palos,

There are only two places to shoot in S. Florida (Miami-Ft.Lauderdale areas) and both are county run operations. I won't go into the reasons for the increase as I don't have first hand knowledge, only hearsay & rumors. So basically if you want to dance you gotta pay the band.

Eric

10. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

My local 5 trap club is at $2.75 a round for members, and $3.25 for non-members. Southwestern Pa.

11. grntitan

Russ-in-Pa---Your certainly lucky because none of the local clubs anywhere near me are even close to that cheap. The cheapest is $4.50/rnd non-members.---Matt

12. rem32lady

rem32lady Member

Just a couple of comments on the price of practice in Florida compared to NYS.
    The ranges at Trail Glades - Dade/Miami and Markham Park - Ft. Lauderdale are leased and run by the county parks departments. So - you're paying for employees to cut the grass, maintain the buildings and roads, fill the traps, run the office, etc. Where I live in NYS, the gun clubs provide volunteer help to cut the grass, maintain the buildings and driveways, fill the traps, run the office, etc. The gun clubs are also owned by the membership and not leased.
    The solution to the price increases is to build a privately-owned membership club and not have any employees. Having spent 12 winters in Key Largo, and shooting at Trail Glades and Markham Park, I was glad to get home and shoot for a couple of dollars a round in the spring and summer.

DBVendel

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

$3.00 at 12 clubs in MI and OH. very sad the grand was moved out of the hub.

14. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

I would sell my gun, and sit at home, if I had to pay that much to shoot.

Just my opinion,

Jack

15. grntitan

GEEZ!!!! here we go again with the hub and Grand relocation crap on a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with that subject. Sept ain't even over yet. YAWNNNNNN

16. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

There's a saying that goes something like, "Raise the trap fee - empty the parking lot". Well-intended, yet ill-informed people, do dumb things like that.

Jon Reitz

17. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a blues/rock club that has done very well for about 16 years. When the smoking law took effect. The club lost about 50% of there customers with a small percentage coming back once in a while. So the club doubled there drinks to try to make up for the lost income. So less people came to the club because they can go elsewhere for what they used to charge. So the club raised the drink prices again 2 more times. Next thing you know. You can look across the room and find open tables everwhere. The club is barely making it now.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

If you build it they will come......conversely, if you dont shoot there, it will either change or close......I would watch it close....

19. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Its a damned shame. The employees of Markham Park told me that the county politicos are to blame. Markham park never looses money. It is one of the only parks that never has money issues. The main reason or excuse that the employees told me was that other shooting facilities who offer trap and skeet were charging
    more than Markham Park. They also told me that the revenue from Markham Park pays for a lot of other county funded projects. They don't have enough money to pay for their other county projects and other parks so they are bending over the park patrons. This sounds like pure B.S. to me. Their tactics may back fire on them because people who do come down here in the Winter or for vacation and some of the state residents will simply say F. Off when they see the prices. I've already talked with some county residents who have stated that they won't be shooting as much because of the increase. Some people have told me that instead of buying their ammo and then shooting 4-5 rounds, they will shoot 2 or 3 and that will be that. I asked them to not be so tolerant and to call/write and complain. Sadly, I don't think many of them will.

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

One of the reasons that I heard is that the county that runs Markham Park needs to raise $1.5 million to clear the drop zone of trees, level the ground and drain and fill in the man made lake we shoot over so lead reclamation can be done.

There's 25+ years of lead laying out there. That could be anywhere from 500-800 tons (1,000,000-1,600,000 pounds) of lead according to my rough calculations. I have no idea what reclaimed lead is going for but I'm sure it's a significant amount.

The County has been collecting a "lead reclamation fee" per round for the past 7 or 8 years at least and has according to semi-informed sources about $500,000 in the fund.

So doing the math, if it took 7 years to collect $500k, it will take about another 15 years to get the extra $1,000,000. By that time the cost of doing what is required will have gone up for sure so the County will be playing catch up ball forever.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.