1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Price of High end Trap Guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pony Keg, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

I understand that $$$PRICE$$$ is always an issue. However, Let us look at the big picture. Lets say you spend $40.00 on a flat of shells or spend $32.00 on reloading supplies not counting the reloader. Please do not forget the TIME you spend reloading. You pay at your club $10.00 to $15.00 on a hundred targets. You pay ATA and other fees. Anyhow, what I am getting at is the cheapest thing you will purchase is a high end trap gun. Because these items you can never get back or resell. If you purchase an inexpensive trap gun you will never get your money back. Maybe half the value. However, if you purchase a used Seitz for say $8500.00 use if for a year and keep it clean you can sell it for $8500.00 or more. The better trap guns will hold there value.

This is food for thought.

Any comments are welcome.

Jeff Warren III

2. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

This is [just about word for word]what I told my wife.She didn't buy it!

3. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Pony Keg states..."If you purchase an inexpensive trap gun you will never get your money back. Maybe half the value."

I bought a used BT-99 "RR serial" in 1978 for $350....I am disappointed that I can never get more than $175 for it...oh well, I'm still shooting it anyway.

Bob

4. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

I've got a few shotguns, like most of all of us that frequent this discussion forum. I'm lucky in that I can afford pretty much any gun I might want, but for a gun that will give you your money's worth over a number of years, you cannot beat a Remington semi-auto like the 1100. You will break more targets with this gun than you'd ever believe. Buy this gun and a bunch of shells. Get yourself a good lesson or two from a qualified instructor, and you're set. And Remington's service is unsurpassed for the amount you spend on the purchase price of the gun. Spend a little or spend a lot, it's your choice.

Remember, it's the Indain and not the arrow.

Just my opinion.

-Pat

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Let's do the math using your numbers. $8500 for a high dollar trapgun, and lets say $1000 for a less expensive model, say a BT99 or similar.

For the additional $7500 I can buy 187 flats of $40/flat shells which equates to 46,750 shotgun shells. I could buy a few less shells and take a couple of clinics from Leo or Harlan to improve my shooting.

Now which is going to make me a better shooter? The $1000 gun and all the ammo or the $8500 gun?

Fortunately we all get to decide for ourselves. Personally I shoot a customized Beretta 391 which I have about $2000 invested in. Will I be able to get my money back for it? No, I'll more than likely take a hit on it. However, I regularly beat guys shooting the $8500 guns.

hubcap

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

So many shooters who shoot a BT 99 think they would shoot better score if they had a Seitz. Actually, they may, or they may not. I have heard newer shooters say something like "I hope you fellows with the expensive guns don't mind me shooting with you". The fellows with expensive guns uniformly think that such a question is silly.

Selecting a BT99 or a Seitz is much like the question of shooting 7.5 or 8 shot. Shooting is important, what you shoot is not important. I watched a gentleman last Saturday shoot a 197 in singles with a Rem. 870. That brought back fond memories to me. I shoot a fairly expensive gun and I drive a 2007 model car. Neither makes me a better shot or a better person.

Pat Ireland

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Many guns do not shoot high enough, or provide the shooter with the desired sight picture with the comb raised. Adjustible ribs take care of that. Guns with those adjustments cost more. Add a fast lock time, adjustible trigger, recoil reduction, etc, and you have an expensive trap gun. If you take the game seriously, you'll want what you feel you need to do it right.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

The pride of ownership (cost) of the gun has nothing to do with broken targets. Now if somebody wants to spend that $8500 on a gun to stroke there shooting ego instead of getting the same results from a $500 gun that is there money to spend anyway they desire.

It aint the gun ... its the shooter.

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I paid $400 for my trap gun and thought that was hi-end. Oh well go figure!!

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This is one dicussion thats been around longer than most of us have and to this day there is no absolute answer ... Thats just the way it has been and probably always will be ... Shoot what you can comfortably afford and let the next guy do the same and don't worry about it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. oz

oz Active Member

any higrade gun is a good investment. a friend bought a high grade model 21 winchester 20 gauge. held it for 5 years and sold it for double his investment. oz

12. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Why would one buy two, nearly identcal .410's?

13. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

One for each hand?

14. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

I believe its unwise to look at these guns as investments. Investing the $8,500 would result in accumulating nearly $13,700 over 5 years with an annualized rate of return of 10% (compounded). At 10 years, the investment would be worth over $22,000. I doubt your gun will appreciate at that rate.

We buy what we like because we like it. My experience is that you should never attempt to cost justify your hobbies (especially to your spouse). As a friend of mine always said "Its a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness).

15. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Pat,

was that guy Henry?? I know he ran first 100. That is not a chrome reciever on the gun.....its worn shiny.

16. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Jim, Those are beauties. Limit of doves with a sub gauge. Don't get much better than that. Factory wood?

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

panthers314- I do not know the name of the gentleman but I do know he can shoot his Rem. 870.

Pat Ireland

18. Mn Mike

Mn Mike TS Member

I shot a Perazzi for 3 years. I just sold it because I had to. Last weekend I shot my old trap gun for the first time in 3 years.(Citori). It's a very good gun. I have shot multiple 100's and a 200 straight with it. Went from the 20 too the 27 yard line with it. I won way more tropies with the Citori. Do I think its better than the Perazzi? Not a chance! The Perazzi swung better kicked less and felt great in the hands. If you can afford a high end gun by all means try one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high end trap guns