1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The presure of the shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riss6270, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

im sure im not the only one with this problem but i just wanted to see what some people suggest for the problem. When i practice i have no problem hitting 21 to 25 clays. That stands true for 16 to 27 yds. When it comes down to a league shoot or ata shoot i dont know what happens. I seem only to hit 17 to 23. Anyone have any suggestions on things to try to fix the problem. Theres something about the pulles saying MISS i guess that puts pressure on me.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Practice doesn't count so no one cares but you. Don't take the "lost" calls so seriously, it's not a personal attack on you, just a statement of fact. Shoot more shoots that do count and perhaps you'll get over your problem.

Eric

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You put the pressure yourself. Lighten up, don't think at the line about doing all the things you think you should do. Trust yourself, and your abilities.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Get ya some better ear plugs so that ya can't hear the "pulles saying MISS." They just shoot practice.

Gne J

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

The best practice is to go to as many registered shoots as you can. No substitute for the real thing. I think you need to shoot on different fields and learn to adapt to different conditions to gain confidence....SMOKIT

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Find the biggest, most prestigeous shoot you can go to, and compete there. Regardless of how you did, when you get back home, the things that made you nervous will be small potatoes.

Also, think, "I'm really only competing against myself.".

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Find the biggest, most prestigeous shoot you can go to, and compete there. When you get back home, the things that made you nervous will be small potatoes."</i></blockquote>

...or else you'll go home completely humiliated and depressed and switch immediately to bowling!

MK

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There was a guy at a club who who would tease and or torment a shooter or shooters. Trash talk, throw hulls at them as he shot. He would do anything to disrupt their shooting. The shooter or shooters didn't care for it till they were in a shoot off and after winning the shoot off they at that point saw how calm they were. They realized what the old man was doing. Putting presure on them during practice and getting them use to it for the shoot offs.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pressure is OK. If you follow the advice of SMOKIT you will learn how to direct that pressure toward better performance.

Pat Ireland

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

riss6270

"When i practice i have no problem hitting 21 to 25 clays. That stands true for 16 to 27 yds. When it comes down to a league shoot or ata shoot i dont know what happens. I seem only to hit 17 to 23. Anyone have any suggestions on things to try to fix the problem."

Just what I found that helps me is to shoot one target at a time. You are talking about your totals for the rounds. I am talking about every time you mount your gun the rest of the targets broken or unbroken do not exist. Only the target you are going to call for right now means anything. If you think about the fact that you only need to break a couple more targets to go straight even for a split second. The chances are you will miss or have a weak break.

You concentrate on each target one at a time. It doesn't matter if you are shooting practice or for a score in league or ATA. One target at a time total concentration on that target.

Bob Lawless

11. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

Went to glen rock today. Did very well. I had a 89 at 16 and 92 on my handicap. I was second in my class. Maybe it was just a good day but ill take it.

12. butcher

butcher Member

Tell yourself to relax and slow down then take a couple of deep breaths and call for the target when you are ready and not just because it is your turn to shoot.

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

SMOKIT's got it, the only way I know to get used to competition is to shoot a lot of competition. There's really just no substitute for the real thing.

A little self imposed pressure is a good thing, it's called the "will to win", just don't let the will to win become a fear of losing......that's a score-killer.

John C. Saubak

14. new zealand trapper

new zealand trapper TS Member

One tgt at a time,at least 10 more shells than needed and dont shoot in the number 2 spot as it is a long walk round and to much time to think for last tgt works for me anyhow

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Stage fright...the more you shoot, the less the affect.

Curt

16. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

ATA, League or pratice the only thing I think about is the bird at hand once its gone its gone !! I also dont keep running though my head a miss count! Id think you would treat every round as a ATA event dont look at it as just pratice round ! And like others I do like going to every club I can ! GOD LUCK !!

17. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

riss6270, good shooting, looks like you have started to overcome the pressure you put on yourself when shooting competition. As others have stated I got better shooting competition by shooting more of them, now the only thing I think about is breaking the bird, I no longer worry about my score and I am really enjoying just shooting.

John

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What pressure??

It's not a matter of life or death and you don't have to win to eat!

MK

19. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

It's Phil Kiner's "Little Sumbitch On Your Shoulder". Match pressure is internally generated, and it's something you can learn control by shooting registered every chance you get.

Pay attention to what you think about as you're setting up to shoot. Get Kiner's DVD and watch the section about self-talk: get rid of negatives in your internal shot setup. Your mind filters out the negatives and doesn't hear "Don't flinch."; it ignores the "Don't" and only hears "Flinch." I don't think it's pixie dust, but I think he's probably right about that. Use positive words like "Smooth" and "Relaxed", or whatever focuses your mind on breaking the next bird. When the two previous shooters drop a bird, figure out how to break the trend and smoke the next one. It has a lot to do with what you're thinking when you call for the bird.

$.02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.